Mad Mining- Good deal or pass?

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this locally, the guy wants 250 never used. was leaning toward a bazooka prospector. Whats your opinions, im a newbie. sluicepic.JPG

OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does not come with pump. does come with 25 feet of 3" hose

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this locally, the guy wants 250 never used. was leaning toward a bazooka prospector. Whats your opinions, im a newbie. View attachment 1237210

Check the brand on google to see if it is a bargain or not. You may be able to re-sell it at a profit if you don't use it.

In an ideal world a prospector would have both a highbanker and a bazooka and maybe some other options too. If you are on a budget then assess which type you would probably use most and head that direction. You can pick up other types of equipment later when you can afford them.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the brand on google to see if it is a bargain or not. In an ideal world a prospector would have both a highbanker and a bazooka and maybe some other options too. If you are on a budget then assess which type you would probably use most and head that direction.

Good luck.
Thanks I cant find too much about them. Seen this one for 750 but does not prove its a quality sluice.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks I cant find too much about them. Seen this one for 750 but does not prove its a quality sluice.

A sluice is a sluice and the main difference between them is the type of capture media (riffle type, carpet, moss, ribbed mat, etc). Some work better than others for different types of feed and a bunch of other variables. Goldhog mat is probably the best overall option for capture media (google it) and many highbanker owners have taken out the existing media and replaced it with goldhog mat. Again your choice should revolve around affordability and probable usage vs. other options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understood but I don't want a flimsy fluice that can't handle some abuse

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would go with the Bazooka.. The simple fact is that you are new to prospecting.. I am willing to bet the Bazooka has much better odds of paying for itself then that High Banker does. Don't put the cart before the horse... New to prospecting? Start simple.. Gold pan shovel and a good sluicebox. To easy to get caught up and buy a whole lot of unneeded tools before you actually find any gold..

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bazooka is a proven Sluice. Just look at the many reviews on tnet. Easy to run. And it find the gold. It will most likely be the best investment in gold prospecting. You will ever make. Do some research I think. You will make the right decision. And what ever you chose will fit your needs. Best of luck.

OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good points Ty. Was my first choice

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Run away from that hunk of tin. Running that thing would be really hard work compared to a Bazooka. For less $$ you could build your own once you have some experience.

OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run away from that hunk of tin. Running that thing would be really hard work compared to a Bazooka. For less $$ you could build your own once you have some experience.

All of your points well taken. Bazooka here I come. I weld so I will make a sluice for fun and post pics this winter.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually.... The most important question you should be asking is this: "Will it work well in my area?" Way too many people go out and buy gear that isn't right for their area. While that might work great in an area with plenty of water, it would be "Yard art" out here in the desert. Always let the terrain dictate the equipment needed to work it. If you go the other way you're limiting where you can work. After you've figured out if it is the right type of gear for your area (which is not listed) then worry about the quality of the equipment. That being said, it looks to be a pretty good deal to me.

OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually.... The most important question you should be asking is this: "Will it work well in my area?" Way too many people go out and buy gear that isn't right for their area. While that might work great in an area with plenty of water, it would be "Yard art" out here in the desert. Always let the terrain dictate the equipment needed to work it. If you go the other way you're limiting where you can work. After you've figured out if it is the right type of gear for your area (which is not listed) then worry about the quality of the equipment. That being said, it looks to be a pretty good deal to me.
I reside in the upper peninsula of Michigan only 15 miles from Lake Superior. A lot of sand and water. At one time over 92 gold mines were established here. All have closed but the rivers they once emptied there tailings into have become popular sluicing areas. Thank you

OP
OP
C

ckobesko

Nov 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One can't go a mile here in any direction and not hit a river or lake

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I reside in the upper peninsula of Michigan only 15 miles from Lake Superior. A lot of sand and water. At one time over 92 gold mines were established here. All have closed but the rivers they once emptied there tailings into have become popular sluicing areas. Thank you

That close to Lake Superior my first thought would be the gold in the black sands on the Lake Superior beaches. That sand is what the Gold Cube was designed to catch. Doug Watson (occasionally active here on tnet) out in Washington state also sells a great beach machine, also the cleangold sluice is known for super fine beach gold.

...and I stand corrected on my prior advice. Know your environment/situation first, then fit the gear to the need as said by one of our wiser members above. Depending on stream flows a Bazooka might be great for the flowing water ways but not ideal for superfine beach gold.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That close to Lake Superior my first thought would be the gold in the black sands on the Lake Superior beaches. That sand is what the Gold Cube was designed to catch. Doug Watson (occasionally active here on tnet) out in Washington state also sells a great beach machine, also the cleangold sluice is known for super fine beach gold.

...and I stand corrected on my prior advice. Know your environment/situation first, then fit the gear to the need as said by one of our wiser members above. Depending on stream flows a Bazooka might be great for the flowing water ways but not ideal for superfine beach gold.

Yes, I was thinking "Bazooka" also until I read where you were. Then I thought Gold Cube, just like KevinInColorado. Start looking over the winter for a used one. They are about as hard to find as used Bazookas; both for very good reasons.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is an idea for you for an inexpensive cube. Lighter and more portable than a full sized cube at about one third the cost. Click the link titled "my 3 stacker mini-tray...." which is about the 4th one down on this page. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cut down a gold cube tray The replacement trays are available online.

I did not want to add the direct link just in case it violates forum rules. Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions