possibly skunked

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
thought i try and have a dig today ..but it looks like the gold gods were against me..up at 0500 out of the house by 0600, got to a spot 45 mins later but nowhere to set up.decided to go up to my next spot 15 mins up the road only to have to assist a couple of tourists with a flat (hire car had a jack but no handle and no wheelbrace) - i was the first car they had seen since 1800 the previous night!!! ,so go to spot 2 at 0800 but last flood had washed all trace of rocks/boulders away and a landslide had covered the rest. plan C go try a creek that looks good located in the middle of mineralised zone, got in the water about 0930 and dug a spot behind a fallen tree 3' x 6' x 3' deep and cleaned out a section of bedrock in the middle of crk..needless to say i didnt notice anything in the pan when panning down zook cons. will update when i pan final cons on tuesday ...heavy pans all

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Just means you will find twice as much your next outing!

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well it was close enough to skunked...3 flypoop specks...now to decide whether to work that crk again or to drop it from my work in progress list the actual crk skirts the mineralised zone but has a tributary that goes straight thru the middle for about half way.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well it was close enough to skunked...3 flypoop specks...now to decide whether to work that crk again or to drop it from my work in progress list the actual crk skirts the mineralised zone but has a tributary that goes straight thru the middle for about half way.

Well, that certainly sounds promising.

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
goldpannerdave..it is promising and the trib. is about 1 Km upstream of where i dug ...the problem is the thickness of the scrub i need to go thru; and when/if i get there theres no certainty of having water to sluice as i probally wont hit that area till the end of summer Feb/Mar. gonna hit my original spot tomorrow and then take a couple months off 😩😩

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always sample landslides, especially fresh ones. They are the most common and productive way gold works it's way downhill into a stream. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldpannerdave..it is promising and the trib. is about 1 Km upstream of where i dug ...the problem is the thickness of the scrub i need to go thru; and when/if i get there theres no certainty of having water to sluice as i probally wont hit that area till the end of summer Feb/Mar. gonna hit my original spot tomorrow and then take a couple months off ����

But won't the scrub die down in the winter (you just went through spring) and be worse in the summer? Or does the heat kill the scrub towards the end of summer (Feb/Mar)? Will you have water then?

Good luck with your next trip out and in the future. Keep us posted on what you are finding (with pictures). :)

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
goldpannerdave oh it would be great if the scrub died down ....but the only thing that cleans it up is a bushfire which happened to the downstream section last year..i was at that spot 3 months ago and the undergrowth had doubled in thickness and height since

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i had every intention of hitting my usual area yesterday but unfortunately a 60' gum tree decided to fall over and block the track😠😠 and of course i decided to leave the chainsaw at home for a change ...so i hit the lower end of the same crk. I did see a couple of specks in the pan so hopefully will have some pics when i do final panning over the next couple of days. the lower sectoin had changed so much since my last visit i didnt recognise where i had previously been. on a side note ..had the #&@*! scared outta me by a 4' goanna that jumped up in front of me and scaled the tree i was standing next to..

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i had every intention of hitting my usual area yesterday but unfortunately a 60' gum tree decided to fall over and block the track���� and of course i decided to leave the chainsaw at home for a change ...so i hit the lower end of the same crk. I did see a couple of specks in the pan so hopefully will have some pics when i do final panning over the next couple of days. the lower sectoin had changed so much since my last visit i didnt recognise where i had previously been. on a side note ..had the #&@*! scared outta me by a 4' goanna that jumped up in front of me and scaled the tree i was standing next to..

That is one big lizard!! Would have scared me also. Are they poisonous?

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
they're not poisonous ...but have bacteria in their mouths that can put you in hospital on IV antibiotics for a few weeks to kill the infection, also that was an infant ...they can grow to 8' and run up to 40 Kph.that was the first of 3 that i saw for the day plus a 6' black snake....gotta love the Aussie wildlife..lol

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
goanna taste like chit, blacksnake taste like chicken

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well did final panning and ended up with 6 specks and a bit of flour for a grand total of .18 g that gives me 1.2 g from 8 trips - not much but i have a better idea were it is and intend to hit it hard in Feb ...I might get a chance to do 1 run when the missus has bubs and she is stuck in hospital 😆 as my little bloke will be at his grandparents ..
heavy pans all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions