La Trap W/ Header Box?

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's been a couple years but I moved and I am just getting where I have my property under control and shelter and fence run for all the animals and I pulled my sluices back out!!! I would like to set up a recirculating set-up using my La Trap "Bank Robber" using a 10 1/2" header box. The header box it self measures 10 1/2" W X 4 1/2" D X 3" H. When I measured it out it seems like it would fit perfectly. I would just need to cut out the back for it to slide in. My only worry is that I have been searching all day to find someone else that has all ready done this and I can't find one pic,you tube video or post anywhere on the internet of some one having done this all ready :icon_scratch: So my question is....Is there a reason that that wouldn't work? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! My areas are two hours away at the moment and I concentrate down to 1/4" at the creek and bring back 5 gallon buckets to go through here at the property.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this something like what you have in mind?

1106151416.jpg 1106151416c.jpg

I've been running this setup for about 6 months now and it's working pretty well. I feel it could stand a bit more water flow but between getting my house set up and other things taking up my money I haven't been able to upgrade the pump(s) yet. I'm currently running a 1500 GHP on the main box and a 1250 GPH on the spray bars in the header box. The plan is to get a 4000 GPH for the main and move the 1500 to the bars.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On you tube Larry englehart uses one for when he brings material back home to process.

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry it took me a couple days but I got my header box in the mail and my neighbor actually gave me a stand that was a metal protection in a crate for a mini bike he bought his kid for Christmas so here are some pics of what I have so far. I hooked my garden hose up to it just so I could see some water flow down it (got the fever in January!) It seems like the water will flow good I just have to figure out what size pump I am going to need to push the amount I will need.
12467935_10208830178896958_819612736_n.jpg 12483505_10208830178616951_5089548_n.jpg 12512010_10208830179336969_475894286_n.jpg 12516047_10208830189697228_734701436_n.jpg 12483753_10208830189577225_1518283489_n.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Always go with the largest one you can afford. Something like a Johnson 4000 gph will do a good job for you. Best price I've found for them so far has been the WalMart website. Remember it's always better to have more water than you need because you can throttle it back with a valve.

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I just scored today and got to 50 gallon plastic drums and a 100 gallon plastic trough. I am including some pics and I want to know ...... should I go 50 gal under sluice into 100 gal trough or dump sluice into 100 gal trough into 50 gal and pump outta that? And could anyone tell me a good way to run my pvc between the two tubs to avoid major leakage ???
12511521_10208837886849652_1920892356_n (1).jpg
12516055_10208837477999431_713492690_n (1).jpg

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On my recirculating sluice I used some no glue type shower drains that use a rubber gaskets to seal the 2" pipes in place. Easy to assemble and disassemble. I installed them close to top of tanks, where the water would have least amount of sediment in it. Not sure if it was necessary, but on 2" pipes running between tanks I have 2" combination wyes pointing up for vents ( like you would on plumbing in house ) to help water flow faster. I was going to use 3" pipes made in a u shape and set in the top. No drilling, but pulls the water off the bottom of tank were its the dirtiest.
Good luck. Post a video when you get it up and running.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Even easier is to make up some 1-1/2 in pvc "U' tubes. When filled with water and hooked between tubs they'll siphon water from one tub to the next etc. I use 2 of them between my barrels and they work great with no chance of leaking. To set them up I submerge them into the tank and when filled with water I cap the ends with my hands and then flip them over to one end goes into each barrel. You just have to make them wide enough to span any distance between barrels. Two elbow fitting and some pipe and you're there.

OP
OP
ejimbo4

ejimbo4

Jan 7, 2013
Martin,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I went with the 2" no glue shower drains and had to take the screens off to increase water flow between the tubs. I have a 2000 gph pump right now and it is giving me just enough water flow. I will probably upgrade as soon as I get the cash. Here is a pic of what I got from 10 gallons of dirt and a quick video of it running. I am taking the dirt down to run through my sons Gold Cube to see how much I missed so I have a idea of what I have to do to make it preform better.

IMG_20160114_123244191_HDR.jpg

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good, nice color. I run a little bit of a bigger pump and ended up adding 1 more pipe to keep up with pump so be prepared to add one. But like I said in previous post I would first try adding combo tee pointing up to add air flow to help in not getting air locked first before adding second.
Good luck.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A pump upgrade it a must do! The more water you have going through a Le'Trap the less angle you're going to need on it. I'm currently running with 2750 gph between the two pumps and I know it's not enough water because of the angle I have to have on the sluice to keep it clearing the materials. The Le'Trap is a unique design because of the way it necks down and then widens out again. This widening causes the water to slow down as it spreads out which gives the really small stuff a chance to drop out of the flow. When you get your flow and angle set right for the materials you're running, you won' be having to worry about loosing any gold out of your system.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To get a tube between the two tubs so you can get a settling pond going and have fresh water to recirc out of your second tub I recommend looking into the tub flange set from the guys at Gold Cube. Take a look there only $75 or it could give you an idea to build your own. I've used this tub flange set myself and it's perfect with no leaks. https://goldcube.net/product/tub-flange/

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To get a tube between the two tubs so you can get a settling pond going and have fresh water to recirc out of your second tub I recommend looking into the tub flange set from the guys at Gold Cube. Take a look there only $75 or it could give you an idea to build your own. I've used this tub flange set myself and it's perfect with no leaks. https://goldcube.net/product/tub-flange/

Wow 75.00 per flange! No thank you!
Good idea, way to much money. Shower drain is same concept. Just more bulky and under 10.00 per flange. And they don't leak! After all they are made to go in shower. I suspect that you could make a similar flange with either acrylic or abs and some gasket material for a fraction of the price.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The $75 is for the kit. It comes with two flanges to connect two tubs and the pvc pipe with t-connection. You are right though it is pricey and I bet Home Depot has a cheaper solution. Food for thought though.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple sink plumbing parts work just fine to connect tubs/barrels on the cheap also. While there buy a bag of paint sack sieves($1.59 for 3) to attach to the output into the 2nd tub to prevent sticks,crud from plugging up your pump. I also add a sack to the pump for extra insurance as many glued together so disassembly on sump pumps is not doable sometimes. John

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Simple sink plumbing parts work just fine to connect tubs/barrels on the cheap also. While there buy a bag of paint sack sieves($1.59 for 3) to attach to the output into the 2nd tub to prevent sticks,crud from plugging up your pump. I also add a sack to the pump for extra insurance as many glued together so disassembly on sump pumps is not doable sometimes. John

That's what I started with, but the sink drains being 1 1/4 it just wasn't enough to keep up with the pump. Had a couple of them. 2- 2" pipes seems to be sufficient.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread