Throw Away Your Gold Pans and Sluices!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
36" stream sluice, 1\4" ribbed mat, 1\8" punchplate, 1\2" nugget trap. All the fine gold catching underflow you need.

And simple. And cheap. Then dig like mad...and you still won't keep up with GG!

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used an underflow system. It works well and leaves little material to clean up later, but you have to use uniform sized material. If you have larger rocks to clear, it takes so much water to clear them that you blow fine gold out. If you classify down and run the fines seperately, it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'm actually looking at the under flow sluice. Im planning on building something similar but not at the same time. These seem to much depends on the angle and flow. But I do Have an Idea about building a river sluice similar to the Gold cube. Using the Pee trap to push fine gold under water to be caught on the other side by a mat. So I'm wondering if anyone still has one of these and can tell me the dimensions of the trap. I just need the depth and width across then I can do some testing to see if i need to widen it out or make the depth smaller or larger. I really don't care if the trap catches much as stated. I want a sluice that doesn't depend on angle and flow rate to make everything work perfectly

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I'm actually looking at the under flow sluice. Im planning on building something similar but not at the same time. These seem to much depends on the angle and flow. But I do Have an Idea about building a river sluice similar to the Gold cube. Using the Pee trap to push fine gold under water to be caught on the other side by a mat. So I'm wondering if anyone still has one of these and can tell me the dimensions of the trap. I just need the depth and width across then I can do some testing to see if i need to widen it out or make the depth smaller or larger. I really don't care if the trap catches much as stated. I want a sluice that doesn't depend on angle and flow rate to make everything work perfectly

I cant think of a sluice design that doesn't depend on angle and flow :icon_scratch:
The bazooka fluid bed gold trap came close but had to have enough flow to operate effectively.

The gate trap, so called underflow sluice has been around for many years, way before the one featured on this thread.

The correct dimensions of the gate trap itself will vary depending upon the size of material you want to run,
of course flow/volume and angle must also be taken into consideration when designing the trap.

Here is a diagram of what gold cube uses in their gate trap that they call a G-force separator................

large_1417_Goldcube3.jpg GoldCube_cross_section_1-8_ezr.jpg

The one I designed for myself utilized a deeper trap below the gate to capture nuggets larger than what would be trapped in the vortex mat.
That way I could run up to 3/8" material instead of classifying down to 1/8".
Gold Daddy.jpg

Here is a self classifying gate trap sluice that I experimented with many years ago............
By the way it did not perform well unless the flow was very fast.
gt1.jpg gt2.jpg

gatetrap.jpg
Good luck with your build :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.
Yeah I know all sluices depend on flow and angle obviously. I was referring more to the underflow sluice thats in production. They have allot of things going on in them to slow down flow and remove excess water and so on to try and keep everything running perfectly.

Were as a normal sluice you can drop it 6 inches under water have it completely submerged. Usually not the best idea but theyll run decent if you have a good angle and the flow isn't dragging you down stream.

Im think something like this. Where theres the slick plate and then the Pee trap then a slight angle change to help that low pressure zone right after the pee trap like on the gold cube. Im just thinking about something can go in the river to help maximize small gold recovery. Especially here in Utah. Where some of these rangers done understand the difference between hydraulic highbanking and a highbanker Screenshot_20200423-132223_ibisPaint X.jpg

Sorry not the best at drawing on technology. I can make a nice drawing on paper. But on a screen im hopeless

Those are some awesome builds

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Skiddum,

I think I see what you have in mind. :icon_thumright:

One thing I know for sure is, what sounds good and looks good on paper doesn't always work out as expected.
There is no substitute for field testing to work out the tweaks/re-designs that need to be made for fine tuning.

The 15 degree down angle on the gold cube before and after the g-force separator is not to create low pressure.
Among other things, it provides the momentum necessary to create the proper water column pressure to flush out the gate trap.

The 15 degree angle is also the sweet spot for keeping the 1/8" classified material active and exchanging lights for heavies in the vortex matting with the provided water flow. So you see everything must work hand in hand for the most efficient operation.

Designing and building your own equipment is not only a learning adventure but is also a very rewarding and satisfying experience.
Cant wait to see your finished project.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I see what you have in mind. :icon_thumright:

One thing I know for sure is, what sounds good and looks good on paper doesn't always work out as expected.
There is no substitute for field testing to work out the tweaks/re-designs that need to be made for fine tuning.

The 15 degree down angle on the gold cube before and after the g-force separator is not to create low pressure.
Among other things, it provides the momentum necessary to create the proper water column pressure to flush out the gate trap.

The 15 degree angle is also the sweet spot for keeping the 1/8" classified material active and exchanging lights for heavies in the vortex matting with the provided water flow. So you see everything must work hand in hand for the most efficient operation.

Designing and building your own equipment is not only a learning adventure but is also a very rewarding and satisfying experience.
Cant wait to see your finished project.

Go for the Gold
GG~

So well said! 100% [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

Placermaster

Greenie
May 23, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research then build to conditions

So well said! 100% [emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻

Some of you keep repeating "there is no perfect design" to catch all the gold. There is a 100 percent recovery sluice and should i start a new forum to explain it? 100 percent all gold recovered that travels through the sluice is captured.!!!!!
What a bait sentence eh folks.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of you keep repeating "there is no perfect design" to catch all the gold. There is a 100 percent recovery sluice and should i start a new forum to explain it? 100 percent all gold recovered that travels through the sluice is captured.!!!!!

Well sure, let’s hear it!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well sure, let’s hear it!

crickets.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread