Sluicing rain water?

bia.morton

Greenie
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I live in a hill in California. Mostly clay around me. During rain season aka now, I get so much water that it carves 2 or 3 little streams heading towards my pond. Is there any value in setting up a sluice in the streams of rain water? There always a LOT of material deposited on the pond where the streams hit it

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to catch and pan some of the material , technicaly we would have to know what the material is , IE black sand , clay and sand etc . How deep are these washouts , are you talking about ? Just not enough info .

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Do some sample panning from different areas in the washes. If there is gold and you have enough rain water runoff, set up a sluice and see what happens.

In the creek behind my house, one of my neighbors has a sewer pipe stream sluice set up. The last time I looked, it had a big rock sitting in the middle of it and was full of material. Obviously they haven't been down there to check it in a while.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out! What do you have to lose?

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one way to find out! What do you have to lose?

I was just thinking if he does'nt have a sluice already , I would not buy one for that reason . Thats why I was asking for more info ? :dontknow:

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the creek behind my house, one of my neighbors has a sewer pipe stream sluice set up. The last time I looked, it had a big rock sitting in the middle of it and was full of material. Obviously they haven't been down there to check it in a while.

I hope you did the neighborly thing and cleaned it out for him.

OP
OP
B

bia.morton

Greenie
Jan 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my first sluice last night :) not for this reason but it got me thinking :D

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like The commercial then JUST DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It can't hurt. I still take samples every time I dig a hole around my place. I suppose I should have some assayed some day and find out what that tiny silver metal is....

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do it! I set up one of those flexible hardware store rain gutter sluices in my favorite lost canyon this morning. There is always good flood gold in this spot so it should catch something... if it stays anchored.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do it! I set up one of those flexible hardware store rain gutter sluices in my favorite lost canyon this morning. There is always good flood gold in this spot so it should catch something... if it stays anchored.

More likely it'll get blown down stream or buried in flow sand.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More likely it'll get blown down stream or buried in flow sand.

Could be. More likely no water flowed at all, but I'm only out $8 if it's gone. Either way, I'll update on Monday.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I went to my canyon with a buddy today. The cheeseball gutter sluice was still in place and only the rocks I placed on top of it to hold it in place were visible. Perfect! I intended for it to be mostly covered with the DG and black sand that flows through there during a storm. One of the rocks near the tail end shifted and closed that portion off a bit so flow may not have been optimum. My main mission today was to test a Gold Cube hopper I've been working on so the cons from the gutter sluice are still in a bucket. I may pan or cube them tomorrow or Wednesday. Good gold seems to be about a foot down in this canyon, so I doubt there will be much in the cons. Probably won't pursue this much further unless it's miraculously over .1 gram.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread