Hope to try soon the self classifing A/M alaskan flair sluice

rivets

Jan 31, 2016
where I am
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry :sad7: I did not mean to cause offence ... it was just my reaction when seeing how you have almost completely hampered the fluid dynamics of the sluice ... at a glance looks to me like you have chocked two thirds + of your inlet ... plus the water that does get through will have no weight behind it ... in other words your flow will be weak etc

Anyway I'm in the proses of building a hi banker grizzly spray bar configuration that works together to aid rock removal as well as break up clay and so if all goes well will be posting pics on my " ask an expert" thread ...

so feel free to have a laugh on me :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yee.... have such little faith, if this principle will work on a cal sluice 2b this should work also and yes there will be trial and error and I know I'm probably going to have to open the inlet screen down below and maybe putting a solid piece of slick plate at the Y of the sluice but now my next obstacle is now the place I usually go to is still iced over so finding a place with current and open gravel to dig could prove challenging right now

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yee.... have such little faith, if this principle will work on a cal sluice 2b this should work also and yes there will be trial and error and I know I'm probably going to have to open the inlet screen down below and maybe putting a solid piece of slick plate at the Y of the sluice but now my next obstacle is now the place I usually go to is still iced over so finding a place with current and open gravel to dig could prove challenging right now

Have you got any running water in ME yet , I have spent a lot of time up there and found little running water this time of year . LOL Good luck by the way , I know Yankee engineering will shine through . Been there done that . LOL

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the little Androscoggin does have open water and the bear river in newry but to get to the water safely could be challenging to some sites

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calsluice 2b has too little flow also it doesnt allow the right exchange unless you have really fast water. So, it is less versatile. Thats why I mentioned the blockage as well. I promise it will work better opened up.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my thought was in the beginning to enclose was to be more of a surge protector more than anything but as of I of said right along there is going to a learning curve the whole idea behind this was to make it fast clean up then my Thomas creek top runner II otherwise I wouldn't have bothered but when I thought all this out it seemed really good at the time

rivets

Jan 31, 2016
where I am
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
Cut the punch plate where flare meets the sluice ... rivet a metal strip with 90 angles facing up at each end with holes drilled ... make a grizzly to fit over flare .... this can be done by bending the rods at desired angles to suit ... hinge it onto the 90 angles so it can tilt up and down ... in effect clearing oversize and keeping inlet unhindered ( the way you have it now you will just end up burying your sluice inlet :laughing7: )

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rivets thank you for your suggestions but will learn the situation as soon as I get time to in the water and ice clears so everything is on hold til things clear as far streams open up and believe me its killing me not being able to this

heartlander27

Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
well up here in maine its been warm the last 2 days but the ice layer in my streams is still 3 to 6" thick and would be a day job to break it up so anyways been playing with the angus mackirk again and this time hopefully making it self classifying........I admit there will be some adjusting and things to work out but being a one man band in the woods I believe in the less to take in with you the better and quickest clean outs so hoping this will do the trick........see what you think?

nice looking build. I dont think you will have a problem with the punch plate slowing down the water flow or under flow. The only draw back of having the punch plate run the whole length is the classified material wont wash off as easy. A slick plate allows the classified material to wash off easier. IMO. Good on ya!

heartlander27

Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
rivets thank you for your suggestions but will learn the situation as soon as I get time to in the water and ice clears so everything is on hold til things clear as far streams open up and believe me its killing me not being able to this
I think the punch plate bent at the end of the flair is a great idea for strength of the classifier section. The water is going to scream through the punch plate. the water dosen't care...

Last edited:

heartlander27

Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the fluid dynamics are compromised on self classifying sluices, and recovery might not be as well as a normal sluice. But its not always about the recovery. If you run 5 buckets of dirt in your keene a52 and spent time bucket classifying and slowly feeding one scoop at a time in a five hour period you will go home with less gold. Who cares if your recovery rate is 99%. With a classifying sluice you work half as hard and go home with more gold. I've gone home with 3-4 times as much gold with a self classifying sluice.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the punch plate bent at the end of the flair is a great idea for strength of the classifier section. The water is going to scream through the punch plate. the water dosen't care... LOL
Sorry but, you dont need the strength and it will most certainly impede the flow. Punchplate doesn't slow the oversize much at all it is basically a slick plate with holes material moves quite easily. Undercurrent sluices increase production and efficiently when ran properly the classified material is recovered in slower flow and there is still enough laminar flow to push the oversize. The water below the punchplate has lower pressure so heavies are actually pulled through the holes.
The drag created at the top of the water by the bottom of the under current and the rffles and slurry slow down the water enough that blocking the input can actually cause material to build up and then your recovery suffers.

Water actually cares A LOT when it comes to any impedement screaming through the punch plate is not what the water will do.

heartlander27

Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
When you have light gauge perforated metal bending the sides greatly increases the strength. I agree with you about impeding flow , but the perforated punch plate won't impede it enough to make a difference. Try it you would be surprised.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry I've left everybody hanging on this type of sluice well anyway I did get in the water and wasn't bad but there are some things i'll have to change number one the plate I bought was sold as stainless was a bunch of bologna and rusted up 4 days after which pissed me off and well I have more idea's but with this sluice I think i'll turn it into a fine gold getter just bought a gold and sand thing that fits into the sluice with a hand dirt sucker ......so my plan is now dig down as far possible with a shovel use my Thomas creek to shovel right in and then take it out and put in the angus and use the gold and sand hand sucker get the fine stuff after we'll see and this weekend is suppose t o nice in temp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread