Power Sluice Project Finished

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Decided last week to finally build a legit power head for my sluice. Made out of 22ga sheet metal. Tack welded and sealed with silicone. First water test failed, lots of leaks. A trip to the hardware store and more silicone did the trick. Here are some pics and video.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454889460.284116.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454889515.354930.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454889551.260093.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454889589.749322.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454889621.254349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454889665.259180.jpg
https://youtu.be/Qe0gUlnSdsE

Thanks for looking.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work! The green paint job makes it look sexy. It looks like it runs perfectly.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice build :icon_thumleft:

Please dont take this the wrong way......
My advice from someone who has built many home made mining equipment projects is to get a small sheet metal brake if you plan to do a lot of projects.

I've found that Aluminum is a lot cheaper, easier to work with, lighter to carry, wont rust, easier to cut, easier to drill, easier to bend, does not require painting, etc. than working with steel sheet metal.

You can get a 30" brake from harbor freight for under $60
Believe me, once you use start using aluminum you will be hooked.
Don't worry about welding aluminum as pop rivets work great.

30 in. Bending Brake

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Nice build :icon_thumleft:

Please dont take this the wrong way......
My advice from someone who has built many home made mining equipment projects is to get a small sheet metal brake if you plan to do a lot of projects.

I've found that Aluminum is a lot cheaper, easier to work with, lighter to carry, wont rust, easier to cut, easier to drill, easier to bend, etc. than working with steel sheet metal.

You can get a 30" brake from harbor freight for under $60
Believe me, once you use start using aluminum you will be hooked.
Dont wory about welding aluminum as pop rivets work great.

30 in. Bending Brake

GG~

GG, thanks for the advice. I haven't quite got my new garage set up like i want yet. It too is a work in progress. The brake is something I will definitely have to look in to.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the liberty of posting your video so it's easier to view by inserting the link into the "insert video" tab on the toolbar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Thanks again. Most of my postings I do from the app on my phone. I guess I'll have to figure that out.

rivets

Jan 31, 2016
where I am
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool ... :thumbsup:

Plumbing tip

Seeing the bend and the female adapter which connects onto the tank connector are positioned after the valve and therefore never put under pressure they can both be shortened ... needing only about 1/2" of pipe to be glued into the fittings + if you do this accurately they butt together forming a stronger bond ... I know this may sound like nitpicking but this would have brought your pipe up to 1 1/2" closer to your trough thus putting less stress on the tank connector due to leverage :wink:

Last edited:
OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Thats pretty much what I did. All those fittings have very little or no gap at all. Trust me, it's solid. Great minds think alike. I do appreciate all the advice.

Edit:

I see what you are talking about now. Right below the valve is a T fitting reducing from 1 1/4" to 1" for my hose to connect to for clean outs. So what you see from the powerhead is an adapter, elbow, valve, T fitting, adapter, and union.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions