Do these riffles work?

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got this 48" brawn sluice with louvre riffles anyone know if they work? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458257194.892896.jpg

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
From my experience the sluice needs tobe setup for the size and shape of the gold your finding. I had different setups for my sluices over the years for the streams I was dredgeing . it seems that no sluice is perfect for all streams and needs a little tinkering to get it just right.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
IMO and based on your picture, the set up would have to be perfectly level side to side as any slight slope cooupled with the variations of water flow over the top, would easily move gold to the low side and down and out of the sluice. Is there more to the sluice than what I am seeing in the picture? What is under the louvers? If there is carpet or v-mat under the louvers, is there a gap between the louvers and the carpet/mat?

Edit:
Answered my own question by looking up the sluice. I think it will work fine but still want to keep it as level as possible. If I was to build one similar to that one, I would make the louvers longer so they are overlapping the next louver below.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So today I tested the sluice with a little bit of paydirt I bought awhile ago and never finished panning and after I ran it I found 4 nice flakes in the sluice and 2 in the tailings.which I think is really good because I used 2 garden hoses for water so it wasn't set up properly but best I could do till I get a pump.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So low flow blew out gold....? ..not a good thing

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL... May not have been "Low Flow". The water pressure at our place would rival a fire hose so that's NOT low flow.

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I mean by that is to get the dirt to move I had to run it at a steeper angle

OP
OP
M

mrmanpig1

Jun 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well today I just found my first 2 pieces of gold ever! With my new sluice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread