Using punchplate as a grizzly or over gold hog mats

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all,
I built a couple small stream sluices last year using a combo of gold hog razorback, downdraft and scrubber mats. They work pretty well, but I'm trying to get more production by adding some punchplate to reduce some of the classifying and get more material through them.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey y'all,
I built a couple small stream sluices last year using a combo of gold hog razorback, downdraft and scrubber mats. They work pretty well, but I'm trying to get more production by adding some punchplate to reduce some of the classifying and get more material through them.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Are you aware that Doc has his own forum and the subjects are mostly about his products? You might post your questions or find your answer there. Gold Prospecting Forum ? Index page

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted here because of issues trying to post there from my phone.

Also I value the opinions on this forum. But when I get a chance to post there, I will

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to know. Good luck.

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your challenge will be to get enough flow across both stages of such a sluice.
The Gold hog mats like lots of flow.
Out another deck 1" above the mats made of perforated steel or alu and you need an inch of flow across that too.
Ok I suppose provided the sluice is long enough and water available.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thats right the hog mats. Will not work without water flow. They won"t exchange right and just load up. I just run the mats. This is from my experience.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey my friend you don't have to classify with GH matts check out there new stream sluice and shows it like it is

OP
OP
S

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely have enough flow and can get enough water over the punch-plate. My boxes are 36" long with a slick flare and "nugget bar" before the mats. And though GH mats don't NEED classified material, picking out lumpkies that mess with the flow, and like to dam up the tail, take me away from loading more material. I've been using a scrubber, 2 razorbacks, scrubber, 2 downdraft mat arrangement with some success. But the bigger rocks rolling through the DD section bug me. And though it is hard to blow out these mats with stream flow, damming the tail sure chunks things up quickly. I might order some bedrock mat and run that at the tail.

I had been using a #4 classifier wired to the flare, but that needs to be unwired and dumped too. I might try some 1/2" - 3/4" expanded metal over the flare and see how that works. At least I can rake off the rocks when feeding then.

I had watched a couple videos over at Doc's forum, but I'm still not thrilled about running the mats under the punch-plate. I might set the boxes up for it, then work with the material to see how it goes. I just don't like not seeing the mats in action.

Thanks

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You should try a quick and dirty classifying method that I saw Tom Massey use on a Gold Fever episode. He just laid a piece of chicken wire over the whole flair, and just shoveled right onto it. Every couple of shovels, he'd just flip the wire mesh off, then replace it. The current held it in position just fine.

OP
OP
S

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tried hardware wire in the past with other sluices. I'm just trying to find some kind of balance between having to classify and running raw material. A heavy chicken wire might work. I know heavy gauge expanded metal will hold up. And like it has been said, I need to keep the flow as strong as possible.

Being we should have better runoff this year in the west, I'll probably have to rethink my whole setup. Thanks for the replies, I'll keep the suggestions in mind while I get my gear together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread