Martin Prospecting Shovel

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Attachments

• _MG_3203 (1024x683).jpg
    _MG_3203 (1024x683).jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggetshooter, Martin Prospecting isn't a supporting vendor, can you please edit the picture that has his store info, block out the label or delete it, other wise I have to delete the thread...

thanks...

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built my own.

Attachments

• DSCF0245.JPG
    DSCF0245.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 325
  • DSCF0243.JPG
    DSCF0243.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 335
OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nh.nugget, if I welded I would have made my own. Your's looks really nice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuggetshooter, thank you...👍

restless spirit

Mar 6, 2016
pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id like to have that on small shovel

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nh.nugget, if I welded I would have made my own. Your's looks really nice.

Thanks I saw the picture of one some where then I saw the price and built it. And I'm building one with a smaller garden spade about half the size of my big one.

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish someone made a scoop, like a beach scoop, just solid. I've got a beach scoop, I've just been trying to figure out an easy mod to convert it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks I saw the picture of one some where then I saw the price and built it. And I'm building one with a smaller garden spade about half the size of my big one.
That would be useful, also a trenching shovel would be an interesting one also.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish someone made a scoop, like a beach scoop, just solid. I've got a beach scoop, I've just been trying to figure out an easy mod to convert it.

You just gave me another idea I could make that! What dia. and how long? I own an autobody shop I'm retired but it's in my back yard fully stocked with equipment. I just made my own blue bowl for about $5.00

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe the handle on my scoop is about 36", and the inside diameter of the cup is slightly bigger than 4". I tried to line the inside of mine with a piece of 4" PVC, but it just rattled around.

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll throw out another duct tape tip... Gorilla tape that is... I did the same thing sort of, build the back up with a couple layers of Gorilla tape, then just build up a shallow side wall, about 2-3, maybe 4 inches, and while it doesn't have the rim over the top, it still holds lots of material without losing it out the back. Will post a picture tomorrow

Edit: Here's a couple pics, albeit a bit large :P I guess I need to go back over and redo the shovel. I haven't inspected it much since i put it on, and dont notice it enough to worry about, but this is also not gorilla tape, but its held up for over 8 months of intermittent digging :headbang:

20160408_121242.jpg 20160408_121134.jpg

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nh nugget, many times I thought about making one when I see them, but don't do a lot of digging, mostly dredging but you got my mind made up to make one on a spare shovel I have and then maybe the 6 inch wide one I have too

nugget shooter, that solid beach scoop would be easy to make with a section of 4 or 4 1/2" exhaust pipe and a handle

OP
OP
nuggetshooter323

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found out that Wolf Stumpf of Wolf Trap Mining is still making his gravel scoop. I called him and he said that he was going to make another batch of them this weekend. After talking with him I decided to get the one with the 40" handle and the 3.5" diameter cup. Wolf said that the handle breaks down, and if you need a longer handle than 40", you can use a piece of PVC and install it as whatever length extension that you want on the handle.

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a box shovel at Home depot for 37 bucks . it's called 6" box shovel , had to be shipped to Home depot.
box shovel 6 inch.PNG

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to fab my own stuff. It gives me some thing to do and I like fab-work. I used to make most of my own tools for sheet metal work like an English wheel a planishing hammer and my own dies for my bead roller. Even built my own chassis for hot rods.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a box shovel at Home depot for 37 bucks . it's called 6" box shovel , had to be shipped to Home depot.
View attachment 1298237

After seeing your post I ordered one . Looked exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately it didn't last long before it started to bend. Had it out twice, first time I mainly shovelled out of bucket into sniper. Second time I did real digging with it. I really liked it for the first little bit. Perfect width for the sniper. Held material and the water really nice. But at the end of couple of hours of digging it was just about shot😞
https://youtu.be/GX_lTYY0HeY

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Holy crap what did u do with that thing? I have mine for over 6 months now, dug up big rocks with it, pryed out big rocks, pretty much banged the crap out of it , but it hasnt bent at all.
Just a hint >> if you have to move really really big rocks thats what pry bars are for not the shovel. You wouldn't use a teaspoon to move yards of dirt , you would use a bucket loader. I am very happy with mine.
I also use it alot for shoveling gravel out of the water, it holds the sand well and it doesnt spill.

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hilarious
Trust me it's not from prying to hard. Unfortunately for me I know my way around a shovel. Use them everyday for work. And grew up with a father and grandfather who were plumbing contractors. And had to dig many trenches for the plumbing and quite a few sprinkler systems for them. I know what a quality shovel is capable of and what is to much force for one. Maybe I put to much weight on it, after all I'm a hulking brute at 155lbs. It was fairly easy digging, Not many large rocks. The metal is just too soft, It shouldn't have bent under those conditions.

spudnick

Feb 23, 2016
ALBERTA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Other
utah mason
Thanks for your ( Heads -Up ) video review , and post. It was informative. And being a plumber !, gives a lot of credibility as well..( roots, rocky clay, buried junk,etc ) .. I do like the size and sides on it. Looks more like a clean up shovel. If it had a curve bottom or triangle "V" body line on 2/3 thirds of the bottom, you would still have a straight cutting edge and more rigid structure.. Type of Metal is another issue, to have any quality , it would have to be a type of carbon steel. If any one is building one, make sure your using carbon steel. After your done welding and grinding. heat it up red hot , dunk it in a pail of oil. or water. .This will temper the metal.

If it doesn't have to be a flat straight cutting edge , maybe use a 5" "V" type trenching shovel, weld sides and back. ( that could be 6" wide after modifying)........ The handle would be more likely to break than the metal bending.. I guess everything has a limit.. Haha...........Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread