Greenie
Mar 13, 2016
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So,

I finally broke down after watching all of the Gold Hog videos on Youtube. I Purchased the Gold Hog Stream Sluice.. and after only waiting 2 business days, I received it. I love it. I have yet to get it in the river, but what I can tell you is that thing is made to withstand almost any type of abuse.. It is a pretty solid sluice.

Another thing I love is that the mats are premade so I don't have to worry about cutting, taping, and gluing the mats. I am stoked to get this thing in the water later this week! Ill keep everyone posted on my findings here in Central Iowa!!

- The Urban Prospector
(Chris & Marco)

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup next on my list of things too ........please let us and show us your finds and likes on the river about it

2526justin

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2016
Grimes
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There def is gold in iowa. This was found after 2 hours. 20160306_155433.jpg
20160306_155509.jpg
20160411_181116.jpg

OP
OP
U

UrbanProspector

Greenie
Mar 13, 2016
Des Moines, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok everyone, Sorry for the delay in update! I love my new Gold Hog Stream Sluice! It does an amazing job in the water! If I had to choose 1 thing to improve or change, it would be the way the mat is assembled... Im so glad it came pre-assembled, but I have ran into the issue already of the tape peeling a way a bit near the end of the sluice... I wish the sluice was a solid piece of rubber instead of the tape and glued together version.

:) my next outing, ill take photos and upload them!!

- The Urban Prospector
(Chris & Marco)

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wait so when you buy a Gold Hog sluice the mats are still taped? That's horrible.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Doc's stream sluice the mats are cut and glued prior to shipping. The sides are taped in a special manner to create a seal between them and the sluice body and the tape ends up as a wear item so they must be replaced periodically. The side tape allows the mat to be rolled and reverse rolled for quick and easy clean up. Retaping is not a big deal. If you buy the mats alone they are designed so they can be cut to fit sluices up to about 36" width with side taping along the length of the assembled mat and that facilitates DIY assembly.:icon_thumright:

See here for cutting and fitting instructions: How to Install Sluice mat

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taping sounds like a real drag..

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my gold hog mini never had a issue with my taping..............that the whole idea is keeps it tight against the sluice.........really not a big deal as mentioned before

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen the mats in action ,15' of hog mats attached to a high banker to be exact...they work amazingly. Barely any gold in the bottom half of matting, even after running YARDS of material. The tape takes seconds to apply and truly isn't a big deal. Certainly no bigger deal than having to build a dam :laughing7:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no better side gasket really. Gorilla tape is vvater proof. I have only had to do one re-tape so far.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hog Mats

I've seen the mats in action ,15' of hog mats attached to a high banker to be exact...they work amazingly. Barely any gold in the bottom half of matting, even after running YARDS of material. The tape takes seconds to apply and truly isn't a big deal. Certainly no bigger deal than having to build a dam :laughing7:

I'd like to meet the salesman that talked them into buying 15 FEET of Hog Mat for a high banker running yards of material.

Guess it must depend on the type of material and the particle size of the gold, but I feel pretty lucky being able to capture most all of the gold with a couple hungarian riffles over miners moss. How do I know I catching most of the gold...? Replaced about 3 feet of expanded steel and miners moss with 3 different styles of Hog Mat. Hog Mat came up empty every time. Back to using expanded steel and miners moss. Not that the Hog mat didn't work, it just wasn't necessary. That is running about 5 yards an hour at the mouth of a trommel.

Last edited:

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tape, the mats are sealed in the sluice with tape. I'm sorry but that seems really janky. It's like it was designed by a guy in his garage and they don't actually have engineers to solve simple problems. I'm sorry but having to pull mats out of a sluice and wash them and possibly have to re-tape is the reason why I use a Bazooka. The logistics of trying to clean cons out of15' of rubber doesn't sound fun to me. That's great that the sluice box has evolved a little with the shaped rubber riffles but I still don't want to have to remove something and clean it. All these steps are unnecessary with other more evolved equipment. Why can't Gold Hog just manufacture 8", 10" and 12" in wide mats that are already assembled and have a better ways seal in the box? Oh I get it you put the razorback or the scrubber or whatever rubber mat you want for the job or stream you're at, I get it I've watched the crazy looooong tutorial on how to cut and tape and all that bs. It's all too complicated. You know I try to K.i.s.s.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them when a bazooka won't work or when powersluicing. Better recovery than any other set up I've ran. Easier to clean. Once the mats are taped they're good for a while. I've only done one retake in three years. I wish they did assemble differently. But it really isn't that big of a deal. They allow a higher feed rate than normal riffles. And catch gold that is very fine. They also are more flow flexible than regular riffles or a bazooka.And leave you with less cons at clean up with great recovery.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i can attest to that! I'm actually running some gold hog matts in my Thomas creek and works really good UR and 2 pieces of razor back no tape, have in a set sequence and less cons bazooka's are great in there place but the Thomas creek I can put big rocks in this and they tumble out and I can shovel right in and not worry about the grizzly's constantly wiping rocks off or cought in them and can set this up in about 1 minute now if you didn't have to classify for the angus mackirk it would be one of the best going fastest cleanup sluice there is other than the bazooka

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread