Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Gold Hog Stream Sluice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Chris

Mar 2016
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Garrett AT Gold
    22 times
    Prospecting

Gold Hog Stream Sluice

So,

I finally broke down after watching all of the Gold Hog videos on Youtube. I Purchased the Gold Hog Stream Sluice.. and after only waiting 2 business days, I received it. I love it. I have yet to get it in the river, but what I can tell you is that thing is made to withstand almost any type of abuse.. It is a pretty solid sluice.

Another thing I love is that the mats are premade so I don't have to worry about cutting, taping, and gluing the mats. I am stoked to get this thing in the water later this week! Ill keep everyone posted on my findings here in Central Iowa!!

- The Urban Prospector
    (Chris & Marco)

us
    vaquero44 Brandon Moore

Dec 2009
    Maine
    Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
    327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    yup next on my list of things too ........please let us and show us your finds and likes on the river about it
    always on the quest of finding the machine that fits me!

us
    Justin

Apr 2016
    Grimes
    Minelab
    6 times
    Prospecting
    There def is gold in iowa. This was found after 2 hours. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160306_155433.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	504.8 KB 
ID:	1298355
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160306_155509.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	1298356
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160411_181116.jpg 
Views:	322 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	1298359

us
    Justin

Apr 2016
    Grimes
    Minelab
    6 times
    Prospecting
    Im from grimes and this creek was about 4 min from my place
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Chris

Mar 2016
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Garrett AT Gold
    22 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 2526justin View Post
    Im from grimes and this creek was about 4 min from my place
    That's awesome! We're in Des Moines. We usually go up near Boone! I am super pumped to get out and Sluice!
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Chris

Mar 2016
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Garrett AT Gold
    22 times
    Prospecting
    Ok everyone, Sorry for the delay in update! I love my new Gold Hog Stream Sluice! It does an amazing job in the water! If I had to choose 1 thing to improve or change, it would be the way the mat is assembled... Im so glad it came pre-assembled, but I have ran into the issue already of the tape peeling a way a bit near the end of the sluice... I wish the sluice was a solid piece of rubber instead of the tape and glued together version.

my next outing, ill take photos and upload them!!

- The Urban Prospector
    (Chris & Marco)

us
    All the gold in the universe was created by colliding nuetron stars. Most of all the gold on earth arrived via falling meteorites about 200 million years after it was formed.

Apr 2015
    Superior, Colorado
    30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
    360 times
    Prospecting
    Wait so when you buy a Gold Hog sluice the mats are still taped? That's horrible.
    We're already millionaires the only thing is you gotta get it outta the ground. -Jack Hoffman

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3280 times
    Prospecting
    In Doc's stream sluice the mats are cut and glued prior to shipping. The sides are taped in a special manner to create a seal between them and the sluice body and the tape ends up as a wear item so they must be replaced periodically. The side tape allows the mat to be rolled and reverse rolled for quick and easy clean up. Retaping is not a big deal. If you buy the mats alone they are designed so they can be cut to fit sluices up to about 36" width with side taping along the length of the assembled mat and that facilitates DIY assembly.

See here for cutting and fitting instructions: How to Install Sluice mat
    Last edited by arizau; Apr 28, 2016 at 11:39 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
    3258 times
    Taping sounds like a real drag..
    Aufisher likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

us
    vaquero44 Brandon Moore

Dec 2009
    Maine
    Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
    327 times
    in my gold hog mini never had a issue with my taping..............that the whole idea is keeps it tight against the sluice.........really not a big deal as mentioned before
    always on the quest of finding the machine that fits me!

us
    Prospector

Apr 2014
    Modesto, CA
    874 times
    Prospecting
    I've seen the mats in action ,15' of hog mats attached to a high banker to be exact...they work amazingly. Barely any gold in the bottom half of matting, even after running YARDS of material. The tape takes seconds to apply and truly isn't a big deal. Certainly no bigger deal than having to build a dam

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12895 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    There is no better side gasket really. Gorilla tape is vvater proof. I have only had to do one re-tape so far.
    Aufisher likes this.

Mar 2016
    5183 times

Gold Hog Mats

Quote Originally Posted by SchoolOfHardRocks View Post
    I've seen the mats in action ,15' of hog mats attached to a high banker to be exact...they work amazingly. Barely any gold in the bottom half of matting, even after running YARDS of material. The tape takes seconds to apply and truly isn't a big deal. Certainly no bigger deal than having to build a dam
    I'd like to meet the salesman that talked them into buying 15 FEET of Hog Mat for a high banker running yards of material.

Guess it must depend on the type of material and the particle size of the gold, but I feel pretty lucky being able to capture most all of the gold with a couple hungarian riffles over miners moss. How do I know I catching most of the gold...? Replaced about 3 feet of expanded steel and miners moss with 3 different styles of Hog Mat. Hog Mat came up empty every time. Back to using expanded steel and miners moss. Not that the Hog mat didn't work, it just wasn't necessary. That is running about 5 yards an hour at the mouth of a trommel.
    Last edited by IMAUDIGGER; Apr 29, 2016 at 04:58 PM.
    PurpleGold likes this.

us
    All the gold in the universe was created by colliding nuetron stars. Most of all the gold on earth arrived via falling meteorites about 200 million years after it was formed.

Apr 2015
    Superior, Colorado
    30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
    360 times
    Prospecting
    Tape, the mats are sealed in the sluice with tape. I'm sorry but that seems really janky. It's like it was designed by a guy in his garage and they don't actually have engineers to solve simple problems. I'm sorry but having to pull mats out of a sluice and wash them and possibly have to re-tape is the reason why I use a Bazooka. The logistics of trying to clean cons out of15' of rubber doesn't sound fun to me. That's great that the sluice box has evolved a little with the shaped rubber riffles but I still don't want to have to remove something and clean it. All these steps are unnecessary with other more evolved equipment. Why can't Gold Hog just manufacture 8", 10" and 12" in wide mats that are already assembled and have a better ways seal in the box? Oh I get it you put the razorback or the scrubber or whatever rubber mat you want for the job or stream you're at, I get it I've watched the crazy looooong tutorial on how to cut and tape and all that bs. It's all too complicated. You know I try to K.i.s.s.
    KevinInColorado likes this.
    We're already millionaires the only thing is you gotta get it outta the ground. -Jack Hoffman

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12895 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I use them when a bazooka won't work or when powersluicing. Better recovery than any other set up I've ran. Easier to clean. Once the mats are taped they're good for a while. I've only done one retake in three years. I wish they did assemble differently. But it really isn't that big of a deal. They allow a higher feed rate than normal riffles. And catch gold that is very fine. They also are more flow flexible than regular riffles or a bazooka.And leave you with less cons at clean up with great recovery.
    mytimetoshine likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links