Tahuya River in Washington

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Eureka Gold, 2" and 4" dredges, Gold Hog raptor 2.0 flare high banker, Mini Piglet Flare, Garrett ATX, Gold Hog Multi Sluice, (2) Gold Bug 2 detectors, Mine Lab Monster 1000 detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't find a thing on it. Might be that you've just got to drop
that sluice in and do some sampling.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, there is an article on panning there for fun and profit. Gold has been found and panned for years there. I think you just may do better than anyone can imagine with that dredge and sluice...

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Before you do anything , have you asked her parents about it ? Don't assume anything about being able to pan , dredge that water without asking them for permission.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Owning real estate on a river doesn't not mean the owners have mineral rights or rights to take minerals from the river.

russau is right, even on private property you still need to determine who owns the minerals. The vast majority of real estate does not include any mineral rights.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
ace4166

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Eureka Gold, 2" and 4" dredges, Gold Hog raptor 2.0 flare high banker, Mini Piglet Flare, Garrett ATX, Gold Hog Multi Sluice, (2) Gold Bug 2 detectors, Mine Lab Monster 1000 detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Her parent is fine with it, says it would be nice to see if there is anything there.

OP
OP
ace4166

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is also a side of a hill there that slid down during a heavy rain storm a few years ago that show many different layers from rock bed to sands. If I can get a chance to get pics of it I could use some great advice as to where would be a good area to sample out.

OP
OP
ace4166

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Austin for the info

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck Ace! Let us know how it goes!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is also a side of a hill there that slid down during a heavy rain storm a few years ago that show many different layers from rock bed to sands. If I can get a chance to get pics of it I could use some great advice as to where would be a good area to sample out.

The debris that slid has probably mixed itself and lost any natural concentration that it may have had. I would first sample the undisturbed edges where it looks like there was once a stream bed. You may even be able to see some seams of black sand concentration or even reddish colored ones that may indicate oxidized iron minerals. Gold, if there is any, will usually concentrate in those areas. If there are any new drainages that cut through the slide material there may be some new but minor concentration in areas where there is exposed bedrock. Don't forget to sample on bedrock in old drainages (or look at the eroded sides for the indicators shown above) if there are any.

Be careful and good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ace4166

ace4166

Dec 30, 2010
Auburn, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am not able to download pics of hill for some reason.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread