Whats better a bgt sniper or prospector

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Start smaller for packing and sampling. Move up for high production.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like you already have a sluice though. I say if you have the water flow to use a prospector and don't mind the weight, get it. The sniper will be able to be used in more places than the prospector, but the prospectors seem to not be babied as much, not that bazookas need to be babied, and it will let you process much faster. I'm only speaking from accounts of others experiences here, I only have a sniper and I love it but will likely get a prospector some day.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We need more info. Why do you need a new sluice? The prospector can really pick up production provided you have the water. Is that your goal?

If you struggle with lower flows at all the sniper may be a better choice. Packing in and sampling are easier too.

If you are in a large river with a good deposit and some friends a Miner may be best. Jus' sayin'.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What's better a bgt sniper or prospector

If you are in a decent sized creek or a river, then get the Prospector. It's so easy to run!

PS I have both and actively use both regularly.

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you hike in far? Or are you close to vehicle? I have 30" prospector and 30" sniper. I have only had the sniper out once so far. It's much lighter then the prospector which was really nice, but I like the width of the prospector more. It's much easier to shovel into and not clog up end because you dumped to much material in to fast. So I would say I prefer my prospector as long as I'm not hiking in super far. And this is America so GO BIG!!! ; )

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do love my Snipers.
the 30" really is nice and is great when by myself and works fine if I have a friend.
Easy to pack in and set up and still works when water flow is slower.

As mentioned above, it does depend on your personal "typical" situation.
If your in a river and have good flow regularly, don't have to carry far AND you have 2 or 3 shovels working...Prospector is the ticket.

By yourself, smaller creeks and streams, sampling and single person production digging..... Sniper?

This game is a lot like Golf. You need different clubs for different shots.
So talk to the wife and let her know that you really need to order a 48" prospector and a 30" sniper.
......Then again, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is permission... just saying :dontknow:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The same reason I have 24 fishing poles!

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, it all comes down to where you will be using it.
If you are mostly in creeks with poor flow then go for the smaller bazooka and make a flare for it, several people like using flares in slower water.
If you mostly prospect in creeks with plenty of flow then the Prospector is the better option.

Then there is hiking distance, all comes down to how much you want to pack.

I have had the Miner, the Prospector and now the Super Mini (Just got the Super Mini yesterday on a partial trade.)
The Prospector and Miner can haul gear inside of them too and can be used more efficiently that way when packing things in.
If you plan on doing this I would suggest putting everything thick cloth or canvas bag to keep from gouging the plastic.

If you can get away with it, get both. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions