More of that Utah gold

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is a short video from my last time I was able to get in the river. Pretty good spot for me here in Utah. Been a few weeks since I have been able to get out. I had planned on taking Friday's off this summer to spend time prospecting. Unfortunately my business partner's son was diagnosed with A.M.L.
He has a good prognosis, they caught it before it got into his bone marrow. But he still has 6 months of treatments. And anyone who has dealt with kemo knows how rough it can be on the body. Which means my partner needs to be there with his family. But will still to pay his bills. So I need to work some long hours and weekends to make sure that can happen and everything stays on track.
But anyway enjoy the video. Had the prospector running just right. Had gold so fine it looked like powder.
Love my bazooka!!
Clean out should have been about 25% more but I had a rock take out my dam and sent bazooka down river. Lost about 1 1/2 hours of digging, but kept the bazooka. Put small piece of rope in pack to tie it off so I don't have to chase it down the river again.
https://youtu.be/QSwmvQ0Nfng

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, that's some serious runoff for that area! Glad you didn't lose the sluice...I recently got a rope too!

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you at? Very nice finds! Pm if you'd like some help shoveling!

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny thing is after reading the post on your thread about using the tie off out if a fishing kit I thought to my self "great idea, I have several of those in my fishing kit I've never used". But kept forgetting to put them in my pack. I even thought about it that morning before I left, but was to lazy and in a hurry to dig it out. And told myself just make sure to build the proper damn, no problem. I was only worried about the swift water taking the bgt. Didn't occur to me the river would be like a bowling alley with the rocks tumbling down stream. Was really mad at my self when I turned around and saw no bazooka, Terrible feeling. Won't be making that mistake again.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've had my bazooka get blown downstream twice...no fun, no bueno, now I use a rope!!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a decent take for the AM river, I miss going there every weekend, especially since now that I live in AZ, water is not a guarantee year round, good gold

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats of some nice Gold! I hope the future pans out for you in the way of lots of Gold and hope all goes well for your partner's son!

Frank

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at mineral basin this weekend... Didn't find anything. I'm thinking I'm too far up. It's hard to not keep driving because it's just so pretty up there!

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never prospected mineral basin. I usually go up Mary Ellen's and below. I have thought about taking the Peruvian lift over to the top from snowbird

Last edited:

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UM, hit horseshoe bend by Vernal on the green river, good camping with coyote lullibies at night, good fines there, but you'll want a high banker or power sluice...pm me if you want a map, I'll make one up real quick. It's a good weekend that was mine and my older boys favorites, got a couple grams, some good fishing and memories that my boys bring up still, it was the best

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you go up the 4x4 trail? Im worried I might not be able to make it in my truck... Only 2wheel drive

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's two different trails one goes to top the other goes about 1/4 the way up. On the lower road you could probably get your truck all the way to end of trail. There are some really good camping spots there as well. And a couple of nice bends in river. That upper road is a little more difficult. My truck is a 4x4 but it's stock and needs a little more clearance to clear a few rocks. Thought a few times about using bar and sledge hammer to knock Those rocks down. But there is a few spots to park right there. So I just hike in a mile or two. I try to pick spots that are the most pain in the butt to get to.

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
UM, hit horseshoe bend by Vernal on the green river, good camping with coyote lullibies at night, good fines there, but you'll want a high banker or power sluice...pm me if you want a map, I'll make one up real quick. It's a good weekend that was mine and my older boys favorites, got a couple grams, some good fishing and memories that my boys bring up still, it was the best

I have been wanting to get out there. When do you think the best time of the year for vernal?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We got gold at Horseshoe bend in July a couple years ago. Didn't really need 4WD to get there. Go all the way to the point if panning. High banking can be done almost anywhere. I took a sample 5 gal off a hillside and found gold even!

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anytime of year is good, I liked the spring and fall, a little cooler out, but it's good year round. You can camp where ever too

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spur of the moment went up. Couldn't really find the other trail. Heading in right before the 4x4 trail, I did some sampling. Worked the rock piles by hand. Found just a small amount. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467699599.391064.jpg

I can only find one stream on the left that goes into the river from where I was today to mineral basin. Kinda wondering where this stuff is coming from.

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a rock with a gold flake stuck in it too. Just kinda looked odd and it caught my eye. Right in the middle the yellow guy is a small flake. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1467699940.255879.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread