American River Sluicing

RudeBoyPanning

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2016
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all! This is my first post here, after reading a lot of tips on where to go looking for gold and some techniques. After trying my uncles land and streams near Shasta Dam to no avail, my father and I decided we would go somewhere a little more certain to have gold. We went to the ASRA at the North and Middle branch junction and panned along the bank just before they meet up and we actually panned some small flakes. It wasn't a lot, but after going for days at my uncles with nothing, any gold was good gold. I stopped and talked to the ranger lady at the kiosk while I paid my $10 and she didn't seem to know the particulars of the area. I keep reading about people sluicing on the American River, but are they doing it around here? Is it allowed? If not, where is it allowed that I don't need to be on private land or on a claim? This is all a hobby for me, so I'm not looking to be rich, I just want to use the sluice I bought last year. Thanks all, and I'm open to all tips on the area!

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi best to go up to ponderosa , Yankee jims or Iowa hill bridge south of colfax on the n. Fork ameriCan river for better gold. Paths lead up and down from each bridge.

OP
OP
R

RudeBoyPanning

Tenderfoot
Sep 27, 2016
NorCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi best to go up to ponderosa , Yankee jims or Iowa hill bridge south of colfax on the n. Fork ameriCan river for better gold. Paths lead up and down from each bridge.

Are we allowed to use our sluice up there? Its a small one (under 36"). Just don't want to get in trouble! Thanks for the tips, we looked up there but came across this and after finding no gold, I just wanted to send my dad home with SOMETHING. He's from South Carolina and we've gone out a few times finidng nothing. We found about a toenails size worth of flakes right there. Not too bad.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RBP, stop in at Pioneer Mining supply in Auburn and talk with the folks there or give them a call. As they are "Local" to that area they should have a better feel for what is going on and what local Laws are being enforced or forced on us. Some of the actual claims in the area have been having "Issues" with USFS and sheriffs for several years, it would be best if you carried printed copies of current laws with you just in case an officer should stop you and try to bend the rules that you have in print with you...........63bkpkr

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are no sluice size restrictions anywhere in California

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
RBP Spend the rest of these warm sunny days working the above mentioned areas and during the winter read back through all of the gold prospecting, sluicing and panning section posts. All the info you need on the where and the what is contained in those posts. Then go put it all into practice next year. The info will save you years of time and effort. Good Luck.

johngfoster

Feb 7, 2016
NW Montana
Detector(s) used
30" Prospector BGT,
Garret pans (10", 14", SuperSluice),
Home-built Gold Hog-ish Highbanker a la Raptor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I prospected that area quite a bit back in the early 90's. There's definitely gold there, but don't expect to get rich quick. Another neat place is to go up to Alta exit and take the road down towards the river. You can't drive all the way down, but there is a trail. It is really steep in places, and is a fairly long hike, especially back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prospected that area quite a bit back in the early 90's. There's definitely gold there, but don't expect to get rich quick. Another neat place is to go up to Alta exit and take the road down towards the river. You can't drive all the way down, but there is a trail. It is really steep in places, and is a fairly long hike, especially back up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay off of that road unless you have 4wd right now with all of the rain. The Euchre Bar trail is slippery enough when dry in the summer and the road turns to snot when wet. Euchre Bar Trail - California | AllTrails.com

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck with the American River! Wanted to do some prospecting on there for a while.

Just moved to CO from CA a week back, one of my only regrets is not doing any gold prospecting while I was there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread