New to the Sluicing world, got a small sluice...not sure how well its working

Methal

Aug 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my haste (and cheapness) I purchased this:
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Compac...H814EYTR9CMZH0KM0&ie=UTF8&qid=1478710491&sr=1

7 inches wide, 30 long, carpet- not miners moss

I've run it a few times, total of 30 ish gallons of material through it, so far not getting much out of it. maybe 2 grams at most.

was wondering if this little guy is really that good. Should I have got a larger sluice? I've watched a few videos on how to sluice, one talked about the need to have the opening 4 inches above the outgoing, and keeping the end out of water, which I did yesterday, but I seem to get it jam packed with lighter material.

I live in Utah, where the gold is Meh at best so far (mostly just dont know where to go, so I just find some water and dig stuff out of cracks and crevices etc.

Should I toss it and get a bigger sluice?

Thanks in advance, this is the first time I've posted, been lurking for a while though.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A sluice jamming up is usually just an indication that the sluice is not properly set up or maybe the flow is not sufficient. As to set up...you have the right idea to induce a slant in the sluice but it is important that the exit end be close to or above the level of the stream water level, in other words there should be about an equal change, or more, of altitude of the stream water compared to the drop of the sluice.

Good luck.

Last edited:

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to sluicing as well and in Utah. I would say 2 grams is pretty good for here!! I jsut got a Keene A52 at Chucks detectors for $130. Where in Utah are you located?

The general rule for sluice boxes is 1 inch in elevation in the opening per foot of sluice box. about 3 inches would be right on that sluice. Maybe 4 inches was a little much. Where have you been prospecting? What kind of water flow?

OP
OP
M

Methal

Aug 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sluice jamming up is usually just an indication that the sluice is not properly set up or maybe the flow is not sufficient. As to set up...you have the right idea to slant the sluice but it is important that the exit end be close to or above the level of the stream water level, in other words there should be about an equal change, or more, of altitude of the stream water compared to the drop of the sluice.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply! It looks like I'll have to keep some 2x4's with me to set up the sluice right.

Hows the gold down in AZ?
Utah is full of fine gold REALLY fine, and 20% silver in some areas.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Find a riffle or rapid with sufficient drop and you can adjust the end(s) with stream cobble to ensure that the water flow in the sluice is about the same depth for the entire sluice run. AZ has good gold, and this includes fine gold as it is the most abundant form everywhere on earth, but those areas are mostly claimed up and usually dry. Recirc sluices or drywashers are what most use here aside from metal detectors.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
See if you can find a copy of Gold Panning in Utah by Alan Chenworth. Available in local bookstores or perhaps online. A great resource! I've been to three of the sites he highlights and found gold all three times :) Even pickers once!!

https://youtu.be/iUS5jk8A96Y to see a discussion with the author.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your tailings to see how much is escaping from you. That will tell you if adjustments are needed.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my haste (and cheapness) I purchased this:
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Compac...H814EYTR9CMZH0KM0&ie=UTF8&qid=1478710491&sr=1

7 inches wide, 30 long, carpet- not miners moss

I've run it a few times, total of 30 ish gallons of material through it, so far not getting much out of it. maybe 2 grams at most.

was wondering if this little guy is really that good. Should I have got a larger sluice? I've watched a few videos on how to sluice, one talked about the need to have the opening 4 inches above the outgoing, and keeping the end out of water, which I did yesterday, but I seem to get it jam packed with lighter material.

I live in Utah, where the gold is Meh at best so far (mostly just dont know where to go, so I just find some water and dig stuff out of cracks and crevices etc.

Should I toss it and get a bigger sluice?

Thanks in advance, this is the first time I've posted, been lurking for a while though.

Did you mean .02 grams? 2 grams for 30 gals of material is phenomenal. I would ditch the carpet and get some miners moss. Go over to Chuck's metal detectors. It's over on vine St . Just Google prospecting supply salt lake. I try and buy there if at all possible. I always prefer to support local small business when possible. He for sure carries moss. Very nice guy and prices are inline with everyone else.
You also might consider cutting out the Hungarian riffles. They cause a lot of turbulence at each riffle that could keep the small gold from dropping out.
Good luck

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moner's moss is OK but you might consider conveyor belt material. You can usually find it at bearing supply places. Or online. UM is correct about the riffles blowing out the super fines

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure you put something under the moss. Shallow v is best but you can get thin carpet in there too. Two grams from thirty gallons would be pretty rich for bank run material and really decent for classified material. .02 would be the usual.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a copy. That was a couple of years ago, can't remember it being expensive. But I buy quite a few books through out the year, and try and not pay to much attention to the price. I lent it to my brother in law and haven't seen it since. I need another copy but Dammit there not available. I hope they do another reprint soon. Good book for any body that prospect's in Utah to own

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lowest price I see online is about $80 used in paperback. However, also found this link that might be useful....maybe:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1357/report.pdf

Online is a scalping paradise since the second printing of the book sold out on the author website. Like I said, call book sellers in Utah. My sister-in-law paid retail (less than $20) at a bookstore in Salt Lake City.

PS that state pub is really good too.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the riffle hold down bolt in the center of the box, it will not snug down in the front where it is critical. I would drill a couple holes in the sides and bolt it in with nylocks or like this -

Go to 8:46 for a close up. This way the riffles will be locked down tight against the moss in the front. You want it as tight as possible in the beginning to give the gold a straight shot into the riffles and not over.

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
an old miner gave me a tip on an easy way to check your tailings.
drill holes on both sides of a bowl, attach lines through the holes to the back end of your riffle assembly and bury it in the gravel behind.
find too much and you'll know, I never did after getting through my greenhorn stage.
I prefer the carpet that came with my A52, moss has to be cleaned too often and produces too much cleanup.
I have my carpet cut 3/4, that is at the 3rd. riffle is the front piece and the last 4. never have found much in the last 4 riffles or my tailings.
I run fast water and flat as possible, with the water 1/2" to the top of the metal. no classification, I pick a few rocks out, mainly 4" diameter and larger, the rest move on their own.
where I work is a mixed bag of fines, mostly small to medium flake, about 1/3 flour.
the only problem I've gotten from running like this is extra large thin flake tumbling out, but they gotta be nearly cornflake size before that happens and i don't see em too often.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
See if you can find a copy of Gold Panning in Utah by Alan Chenworth. Available in local bookstores or perhaps online. A great resource! I've been to three of the sites he highlights and found gold all three times :) Even pickers once!!

https://youtu.be/iUS5jk8A96Y to see a discussion with the author.

I wish I could find that book!! Do you know anywhere I can get it? At a normal price? I couldnt find it anywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread