Need help for building a Sluice Projekt

Schwabe

Nov 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I’m new in this Forum, my name is Steffen and I’m from Germany.

I’ve some Questions about Sluice Design (long and wide) then about the riffle sparks (distance and angel).

Now I will explain my Plan, and I hope I will found some help here in the forum to resolve them.

Were we won’t to run the Sluice there is unfortunately only fine gold to catch like fairy dust.

The idea is to take from the gravel plant from the horizontal classifier, the fine sand and the throughput water because only in them is fine Gold.

We would sent the “Water Sand Mix” to our machine, witch have funnel were we put more Water to the Sand that it run over the
Sluice.
We have about 20-30t itch hour of the Water fine Sand Mix, the thought was to work with 3 of this pump because the coast price. Then the have a high capacity 46000 l/h (12700 gallon per hour) and take only 320 watt/hour.
The use of less electricity is important for us, because the amount is not so…

https://www.oase-tei...CFQmdGwodKXkEFQ

We would put at the funnel the out coming of the 2 pump, the water flow would be regulated with 2 water trap, one for itch pump.

The pump have a sensor, when respectively one pump is out the third pump would start automatically.
I thought to make the sluice between 31,5 and 34,6 inch large, and with a long of 13 food the machine would run about 8-10 hour at day the cycle of clean out is every evening.
The construction from sluice, was to put 3 mm deep rubber V-Mat at all the long, over the rubber mat the first 9,5 food Miners Moos and the last 3,5 food Astro Turf.
Over the Miners Moos I would put expanded metal notover the Astro Turf!??
And at last the riffles at the first 3,25 food, 8 riffles with 15 degree and the last one with more the rest of the sluice more quit about the fine Gold.
Now the Questions:

1. Must we control the incoming of the Water Sand mix to our funnel when there comes sometimes not enough sand that we put less water over the sluice and this at best with a sensor ???
2. Is the water volume per hour enough for the Sand ?
3. What you think about the choice from the pump
4. Are the dimension of Sluice OK for catch fine Gold
5. Is the Construction inside the Sluicegood or how to make it better
6. The high of riffles for this kind of project what is the best size, form
7. Witch thickness I must use for theexpanded metal and form
8. Between witch Degrees the Sluice should work for optimal results.
9. Is the interval of clean out enough andwhat you think how many kilos of concentrate we will earn every evening.

The concentrate we would let it run over self made double Jig, in the container with the metal balls there are many 1mm holes to let the water pass and like that the concentrate have 1mm size.

The concentrate from Jig would one time per week over a Holman 2000 Shaker table the choice for this model was, that the same model of table is use in Germany for fine Gold and for me important less Shipping and Tax because the firma is in Great Britain.
http://www.holmanwil...le-products.htm
If it works well we hope on a amount between 2-2,5 Oz per week
I would be happy for help to find a solution how to realize this project .

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings from Minnesota, and welcome to Tnet. :hello: Sounds like you have lots of work ahead of you!

While you mentioned having rough classification to separate gravels from the sand, it would benefit you to have additional classification in the finer ranges. The closer in size your material is, the easier it will be to separate out the heavier gold.

Also, I would suggest you contact Gold Hog about their matting products. Gold Hog is the premiere matting and they didn't get there by accident:
Gold Hog - Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat

Your first link did not work for me.

OP
OP
S

Schwabe

Nov 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It s my uncle who have a firma of gravel plant allready running.
He make the seperation from stone and sand, we would take only in a other step all the fine sand withe the throughput water and send it to our machine with sluice

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, and smart thing. There continue to be many sand & gravel companies over here that just are not interested in making those extra steps, even though it would simply be profit in their pocket. Maybe it's the additional time/work of cleaning their cons? Maybe they're just intimidated by it all. Or....maybe they're just happy with the operation as it is, as well as the income. Whatever, good for you for taking the extra step! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Schwabe

Nov 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello @KCM
it's sad that not more company who work with sand and gravel don't make the last step.
Here in germany there is only one firm witch make this.
In Spain many gracel firma make this since long.

I hope i will found the way

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know the cost, but since you already have a wash plant in place, have you looked into recovering your fines with a duplex jig?

He mentioned in the op about using a "self made double jig". Don't know if his first link would show the jig as the link is not correct. The link shows up in browser exactly as shown in the op.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Schwabe your links would not open for me BUT I was involved in a similar situation several years back with a sand and gravel plant close to me. A friend that worked there got permission for us to give it a go , so we did ! BUt we didn't setup our equipment at the plant . We were small scale and brought the blacksand concentrats home to work. You would have a advantage working /concentrating your cons at the plant. I agree with kcm on buying Gold Hog mats and line your sluice with them. Their matts come in 36 inch wide by 6 inch long pieces so I would stay with that size sluice to make it easy for you. My sluice was 42 inchs wide with ribbed black rubber matting. there is a picture of it over on www.iowagold.com in the how-to build it section to help explain how we did it. One thing youll need to know is classify,classify, classify until you have the material the same size as the gold your trying to capture (specific gravity ) and Don't over fed the device or youll wash the fine gold out. Forget about using riffles or the expanded metal for fine gold! as you said ,adding wet sand /water mix , don't ever run dry material into water or youll float the fines out! and until you really have it dialed in ,Id keep a constant eye on this while running to see exactly how its going to work and what angle you need to adjust the sluice to pertaining to the amount of water and slurry you add to the device you want to build. The black ribbed rubber mat worked fine for us BUt the amount of material / water you want to run is a lot more than we did ,so I thing kcm is right on target with Gold Hog matts . They are a little pricey for over seas BUT that's Docs game to get this great product out! Im wanting to put Gold Hog Matts into my 4 inch dredge . I have it in my 2 inch dredge right now. GOODLUCK on your quest to get your share of the gold ! Keep us informed of your results and send pictures of your results !

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, one more thing. Being in Germany, you will almost certainly have easier access to many very similar but lower-cost matting made in China. I can't tell you how many folks I've seen come into the GPEX forum and tell how Gold Hog mats don't work. I don't know what it is, whether the material(s), the designs or what, but Gold Hog mats seem to almost be magic.

OP
OP
S

Schwabe

Nov 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Sorry that I answer a little later, i had trouble with my new Internet Provider now it run OK :)
Thanks for helping me.
I spoke last week with sombody in Germany how make this since 30 years, and he laugh when I told him the size of the sluice and how many I want to let run over each hour.
He mean 4 Sluice with 5m long and 50cm large, each of them would have the capacity 5max 6t/h.
And he sayed that it would be enough to make the cleanout every 2 weeks?? when the angel is good?

Best would be to have so many sluices to handle 100t/h of sand water mix, the problem is the distribution on so many sluices !!??

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I spoke last week with sombody in Germany how make this since 30 years, and he laugh when I told him the size of the sluice and how many I want to let run over each hour.
Was he talking about using older-style ribbed rubber matting, riffles, or newer matting like Gold Hog? This is a very important question, as the type of matting makes a world of difference. Gold Hog matting is designed to trap and hold the gold, so there's not much worry about anything blowing out over a period of time.

Likewise, there's another sluice I've heard a lot of great reviews about - it's the Bazooka line of sluices. Their sluices are comparatively small, yet can handle lots of material fed quickly - though not NEARLY the volume you have in mind. However, it might also be worth considering to contact them and see if it's possible to upscale their designs into a system worthy of that tonnage.

...I'm sorry, don't remember if you mentioned this, but how well is your material classified? The more your material is classified, the better you can run that material, and the easier it is to separate the gold from the waste material. If you're simply running raw sand/gravels through a sluice....well, you're going to be losing a lot. But I can't remember offhand if you had mentioned this anywhere, and I gotta run outside for a while and actually get something accomplished today! :tongue3: Such short days now!! :BangHead:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Sorry that I answer a little later, i had trouble with my new Internet Provider now it run OK :)
Thanks for helping me.
He mean 4 Sluice with 5m long and 50cm large, each of them would have the capacity 5max 6t/h.
And he sayed that it would be enough to make the cleanout every 2 weeks?? when the angel is good?

Best would be to have so many sluices to handle 100t/h of sand water mix, the problem is the distribution on so many sluices !!??

Yes, listen to your friend. Build the sluices into the system that's already there. Your wanting to put in a "Rag Plant" to be exact and we have a lot of them running over here in California. Pay attention to page 13, 14, 25, 26. I've seen them in operation here and have friends that still work on them. -----http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/geologic_resources/gold/documents/sp87.pdf -----
You want to build it inline with the plant and if the plant uses water separation then they should already have one in place. This video gives you an idea but you're going to have a sluice 2 to 3 meters wide in order to keep up with the rest of the plant. Basically it sounds like your friend has a clue and he is familiar with the area you are in.

Depending on the amount of gold being recovered, there's plenty of equipment out there but you will need a mining engineer to design it for you unless you make some phone calls.

DSCF0046.JPG DSCF0057.JPG Reed Abe.jpg stitch 001.jpg DCP03643.JPG 2005_0424Canyon0024.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread