Equinox 800, White's Goldmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine and a couple diagrams to help you.

GoldCube_cross_section_1-8_ezr.jpg goldcube.jpg
Gold Daddy.jpg chlor.jpg

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhh, I have seen this one. Didn't realize it was yours. Yeah, I have plans completely drawn up and ready to go. Pump and vortex mats in the mail. Just need to go get the building supplies. I'm going to make mine all sit in and fit in a storage tub. I'd like it to be recirculating because I'm in Alaska, and it's hard to get cons during the winter, so I want to set it up in my house to feed the itch.

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope all turns out great for you.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my rough sketch. I have a way better one I did on draft paper. A local tv network donated $200 to me today so I can go buy supplies. (This project is for a local Cub Scout pack, the boys are going to do the actual building.)

067d99a8d3f9e35c7f352dfbe02f5199.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowe's had some killer Black Friday deals today, so I ended up getting some new tools and supplies today. Decided to go with wood that I'll coat in some sort of material to waterproof it. It's the cheapest route! Starting to make the cuts tonight!

8e4bb11cfb905219eb0b271eeafb4b19.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wood will last just long enough to convince you to upgrade to metal or plastic [emoji16]

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
After you have all your parts cut and test fitted give it all a good coat of Git-Rot.......
Be sure to coat all the cut edges ...
After you have all the parts assembled give each tray another coat especially at the seams.

You won't believe how this stuff penetrates wood.
That will take care of the wood for a very long time.........

BOATLIFE Git Rot Penetrating Epoxy | West Marine

This is some different stuff probably in name only but it will give you a good example on how to use penetrating epoxy.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
My suggestion ,like Kevin said, use plastic (ABS)! its lite ,cheap , EZ to form . Ive been using it to build sluices for a long time . The wood is going to be heavy unless its going to be a shop tool for cleanups.

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked all my local stores and nobody has any abs plastic

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try Amaazon. I see that you are in Alaska ,so the shipping might be prohibitive. Search online for a plastics supplier in Seattle maybe.G/L

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I already have the wood. It'll be good for a prototype. My only problem is the curves under the mats. I was thinking cutting a pvc pipe in half, but that'd be a shallow and wide curve.
36167ed0dca4ff74e25a15e9f0bb5f06.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold cube was based on a design (Trev's) used in New Zealand for front end loader feeding and that design's troughs have a flat bottom with square corners. The gold cube is undoubtedly an improvement but square corners will probably work* with the caveat that some gold and waste material will remain in the corners in the troughs so those too will need to be cleaned out. Alternatively you can probably use sheet metal to make a curve for each trough.

Good Luck.

* The best operable length of the gate using square corners may vary from the gold cube. The original design had adjustable gates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even think of that! Make a square out of wood and put a piece of sheet metal in there so it's curved! Genius! Thank you!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didn't even think of that! Make a square out of wood and put a piece of sheet metal in there so it's curved! Genius! Thank you!

Thinking further out of the box and maybe easier....a hardened, molded in place substance (silicone, body putty/filler, epoxy or whatever)* of some type might work too if they will adhere seamlessly to already sealed wood. Expansion of the wood may still be a problem though.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good idea! Use aluminum sheet metal to prevent rust. Discarded modern license plates come to mind, easy to bend and cut to size. (Here in Indiana the plates are flat with no raised numbers)
Square would work as the sand and gravels would naturally collect in the corners to make a curve but then you would have that much more gangue to have to deal with when doing your final clean up.

I built my curved troughs extra deep to serve as nugget traps so I could run 1/4" classified material instead of 1/8" the downside is that they end up collecting extra material to have to process during final clean up.

The store bought gold cube gate traps are built just deep enough to act as so called "g force separators" which act to separate the lighter material into the laminar flow while allowing the heavies to drop out of suspension and move slower up to the vortex mats for capture.

Happy you are allowing the Scouts to work on the project. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah! 6 feet of vortex mat!

bab08622de69d3138a850828e9162220.jpg

OP
OP
TintedSnow

TintedSnow

Sep 25, 2016
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea! Use aluminum sheet metal to prevent rust. Discarded modern license plates come to mind, easy to bend and cut to size.
Square would work as the sand and gravels would naturally collect in the corners to make a curve but then you would have that much more gangue to have to deal with when doing your final clean up.

I built my curved troughs extra deep to serve as nugget traps so I could run 1/4" classified material instead of 1/8" the downside is that they end up collecting extra material to have to process during final clean up.

The store bought gold cube gate traps are built just deep enough to act as so called "g force separators" which act to separate the lighter material into the laminar flow while allowing the heavies to drop out of suspension and move slower up to the vortex mats for capture.

Happy you are allowing the Scouts to work on the project. :icon_thumright:

GG~

Do you about the size you made the troughs? Dimensions? I'm not even sure where to really start. I got some sheet metal last night and want to put the troughs in tonight. I don't want the boys to do that, I wouldn't feel safe with them playing with sharp ass metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread