Rate my mini sluice

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What part a Canada? You should check out the Canadian gold prospector on YouTube. He runs a homemade high banker with gold hog mats and does really well with the fine gold. I just outfitted my A-51 and a little 18" sluice for the end if my bgt prospector with some g.h. mats. I haven't had a chance to get them in the water yet. But hopefully will find a day in the next week or two. We get a lot of snow here in Utah(best snow on earth), fortunately the river I work runs all year.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate everyone's 2 cents. I'm getting a good idea of what's up. I do recognize that she wouldn't be the most efficient mini sluice but I really like having it as a back up to the days I won't be able to use my river if it's just too low or too raging. My goal is to get a zooka, thinking the sniper, and use that for my efficient days and my mini on my concentrate days or the days I just want to be casual.

I really can't wait to pick up a good variable speed pump. It would be great if I needed a smaller pump and all that jazz but I want to have a pump for a while so I don't want to cheap out to much haha. So what would be best? I've been looking at submersible aquarium pumps, yay/nay?

Thanks again for the support, once again I wish I didn't get this during winter, I'm just itching to get out there haha
Have you looked at Walmart for your pump? Check in the sporting goods section they carry several different bilge pumps. You just have to look since they aren't a fast mover they hide them in the back. I got one for around $20 and after 4 years, it's still humming along. Oh! I've had my screen on the intake fall off several times and the impeller still looks hardly used. The electric gate battery sounds like an excellent idea! I was using a couple of Yuasa motorcycle batteries just because they were there. Dumped them in a canvas HF tool bag and slung it over my shoulder. Forget the inverter etc. Just more things to go wrong.

Silversurfer79

Dec 24, 2013
Southern, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up an Angus mackirk expedition sluice and it works quite well and it was pretty cheap too. Good choice to start out cheaper

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I appreciate everyone's 2 cents. I'm getting a good idea of what's up. I do recognize that she wouldn't be the most efficient mini sluice but I really like having it as a back up to the days I won't be able to use my river if it's just too low or too raging. My goal is to get a zooka, thinking the sniper, and use that for my efficient days and my mini on my concentrate days or the days I just want to be casual.

I really can't wait to pick up a good variable speed pump. It would be great if I needed a smaller pump and all that jazz but I want to have a pump for a while so I don't want to cheap out to much haha. So what would be best? I've been looking at submersible aquarium pumps, yay/nay?

Thanks again for the support, once again I wish I didn't get this during winter, I'm just itching to get out there haha

Not sure where you are in Canada but stream sluices of any type are not allowed in B.C. from what I have read. Better check the regulations for your province before you spend your cash on something you cannot use. There is a Canadian prospecting forum (GPEX) where you can probably get some guidance on regulations for where you are located. See here for a link. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gpex
It might not be a big deal but.....you may want to modify what you have so that you can adjust the sluice angle independent of also adjusting the feederbox/grizzly section in the wrong direction (reducing or increasing it's angle) at the same time.

Good luck.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being sarcastic or smart alec! But if it all goes sideways and you can't use it in the field for whatever reason, I'd hit it hard with car wax and hang it on the wall or use it for a finds display topper. That'd look cool! Kinda pretty!

OP
OP
S

Steve_the_pirate

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily I do not live in bc but I was also unaware of that rule, looks like I have some reading to do.

Does anyone know if the bazooka gold trap is in the same boat as a sluice? Would I be able to gold trap in bc?

Looks like I'll be leaning towards a bilge pump and worry about a mobility solution later or if at all. I didn't even think of the separate angles. The legs on it are adjustable but I'll possibly need to drill a few hole on the header mounts to adjust that better.

Thanks again for all the tips, it really is going to make me a better prospector all because of all you people ��

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Luckily I do not live in bc but I was also unaware of that rule, looks like I have some reading to do.

Does anyone know if the bazooka gold trap is in the same boat as a sluice? Would I be able to gold trap in bc?

Looks like I'll be leaning towards a bilge pump and worry about a mobility solution later or if at all. I didn't even think of the separate angles. The legs on it are adjustable but I'll possibly need to drill a few hole on the header mounts to adjust that better.

Thanks again for all the tips, it really is going to make me a better prospector all because of all you people ��

The bazooka gold trap is a sluice, it is just not a conventional sluice.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That thing looks like a toy or decoration...not the best tool. Sorry.

OP
OP
S

Steve_the_pirate

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting about the bazooka. I'll be getting my license this spring and I'll be reading a lot this winter on the regulations around me.

And for me that toy is perfect, I just want to do it casually and make sure I understand everything. That's just to get me started on my prospecting journey haha. I have lots to buy and lots to learn but remember the glass is always half full. I've seen that baby get gold and so will I haha ��

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Interesting about the bazooka. I'll be getting my license this spring and I'll be reading a lot this winter on the regulations around me.

And for me that toy is perfect, I just want to do it casually and make sure I understand everything. That's just to get me started on my prospecting journey haha. I have lots to buy and lots to learn but remember the glass is always half full. I've seen that baby get gold and so will I haha ��
Attitude is one of the most important tools you can possess! It can make up for a lot of others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread