Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Johnny. The first shovel you put down the slick plate will fill the trap with plenty of gravel. The majority of the gold I find is flour gold, and the BGT holds onto it just fine.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only if you're running beach sand or exclusively sand would you need to add gravel.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And then just a quart of -8 gravel will do the job easily

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if you're running beach sand or exclusively sand would you need to add gravel.

Has anyone run beach sand in the BGT? Where would you get the flow? Most the drainage I've seen on the beaches isn't stong enough to run a BGT. I guess every outlet it different.

I've had a few times shoveling in the river directly where my shovel was really fine gravels/sands and that always felt like the worst material to put through the box as it always seemed to just overload the trap. Had to feed it really slowly. So I can't imagine the BGT being an efficient beach sluice. Anyone tried it?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run material from the Snake River , which is comparable to beach sands. My gold is mostly minus 100 and quite a bit minus 200. I have tried just about everything to get a BGT to catch this stuff. Physics is physics . Most of the flour , the stuff that easily floats will blow on by. If anyone is successfully running beach sands with a BGT enlighten us !

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've run tests with Washington State beach sand. If you preload the fluid bed with -8 stream gravel, it'll catch virtually all the gold sand +100 and SOME of the -100 but not enough to be a winner. Just not the right tool for fine beach sand.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a GREAT tool. But the talcum powder sized stuff is a special kinda critter.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea for minus 100 you need wide shallow flow, low profile recovery. Expanded over carpet or gold hog. A bazooka has too much flow and too little capture area.

OP
OP
W

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a couple yards ? of overburden to move to get to the bottom of 4-5 ft. waterfall in a seasonal creek I'm prospecting. I've moved about a yard so far classifying by hand with only barely visible gold in the moss. I may use the bgt on the overburden or bring the hibanker in with the nozzle and carpet/expanded. (no fish here enviros). A little more gold farther down, but I'm testing up the creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions