Home build clear fluid bed sluice

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been using bazooka gold traps for a few months now and really like the way they work. I bought a custom sniper from a member here a few months ago and the 24" sniper my girlfriend bought me, that we thought was never going to come, showed up in the mail mid December by surprise. I've been using both of them quite frequently but mostly the larger one since it has a larger custom trap(longer). Since the flows have been much higher lately with all the storms I could easily run a bigger model. My coworker built a prospector size model out of abs with a longer trap and seeing how well his ran I decided I wanted to build one as well. I decided to build mine clear just for the fun of it so I used lexan (polycarbonate) for the strength of it. Spent the last few days after work getting bits and pieces of it done and I finally finished everything up today. Built the size off the prospector specs mostly, except it has a longer trap. Used 3/4" pvc like my coworker used and also pulled the tubes through the back and have caps on the ends so they can be cleaned if junk gets in them. Only had a couple of minor issues and that was with where the grizzly bars starch to the top plate which is why there is a few stray rivets. Now I just have to get out and use it! IMG_5261.JPG IMG_5262.JPG IMG_5264.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give us some video!

OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll try to remember to take my GoPro next time I'm out and get a video of it running and the exchange happening in the trap. Should be pretty cool for about 3 trips until it's too scratched to see inside of it haha.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to remember to take my GoPro next time I'm out and get a video of it running and the exchange happening in the trap. Should be pretty cool for about 3 trips until it's too scratched to see inside of it haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUO

lol I was gonna say let us know how long it takes to go opaque

OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol I was gonna say let us know how long it takes to go opaque[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't be long haha, I am obviously not worried about that in the slightest. Just had access to the material so I used it to build a bigger trap all together. Going to try to use it after work today on the creek that is 10 feet from my plant. Been finding good gold down there in a gravel bar so we cut a gate into our fence to be able to access it since it's inaccessible from anywhere else unless the water gets really low

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shouldn't be long haha, I am obviously not worried about that in the slightest. Just had access to the material so I used it to build a bigger trap all together. Going to try to use it after work today on the creek that is 10 feet from my plant. Been finding good gold down there in a gravel bar so we cut a gate into our fence to be able to access it since it's inaccessible from anywhere else unless the water gets really low

Even after it's all scuffed and scratched up it will still be pretty transparent while wet. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true. having access to polish occasionally would be nice. the sides of the intake will satay clear for a while.

OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it worked exactly as I had hoped it would work. Fed it 12 buckets of material after work the other day while sampling a spot a little downstream. Didn't get deep enough to get anything of size but had a lot of flour size and a bit of +50. We were consistently finding round/chunky +20 and bigger just upstream. Here's a video of it running and a pic of it in the water. https://youtu.be/a_TG_6glgFI
IMG_5274.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Funny how often the good gold is exactly where they build the treatment plants! (First flat spot downstream of a historic gold camp...hmm, not that odd I guess ;) )

OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny how often the good gold is exactly where they build the treatment plants! (First flat spot downstream of a historic gold camp...hmm, not that odd I guess ;) )[/QUOTE]

On top of that the creek is going around a turn right where we are and the gravel bar we are working is all part of an inside turn. Pretty nice. Here's where we've been working during normal/low water and where it was last week one of the high flow days. In January, during the large storms we had, I had to stay overnight to monitor the processes and emergency pump to other tanks and I saw the creek probably another 2 feet higher than it was here. IMG_5046.JPG IMG_5146.JPG

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it worked exactly as I had hoped it would work. Fed it 12 buckets of material after work the other day while sampling a spot a little downstream. Didn't get deep enough to get anything of size but had a lot of flour size and a bit of +50. We were consistently finding round/chunky +20 and bigger just upstream. Here's a video of it running and a pic of it in the water.

You could feed that sluice with a #2 shovel :icon_thumright:
The plexiglas is too slick for now but should slow down a little with wear and tear.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could feed that sluice with a #2 shovel :icon_thumright:
The plexiglas is too slick for now but should slow down a little with wear and tear.

Yes I definitely could, I just am moving material from my hole over to where the sluice is so I'm bucketing it over and feeding it with a trowel until it's half empty then picking the bucket up to feed it that way. And it's actually polycarbonate so it'll hold up to the abuse it'll get

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would make the slick plate longer if you do a second build. At least 36" in length, up to 48" if you can handle the extra size/weight. Better landing zone for your bucket to dump on. Nice build.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I definitely could, I just am moving material from my hole over to where the sluice is so I'm bucketing it over and feeding it with a trowel until it's half empty then picking the bucket up to feed it that way. And it's actually polycarbonate so it'll hold up to the abuse it'll get

Yep Polycarbonate (lexan) is the best clear way to go, that's what I use sometimes on prototypes but it will still scuff up, scratch, and can break.
gt2.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep Polycarbonate (lexan) is the best clear way to go, that's what I use sometimes on prototypes but it will still scuff up, scratch, and can break.
View attachment 1415417

GG~

Looks nice! Yes it will scratch and scuff over time (already has) but I'm not concerned in the least about that. Polycarbonate actually has superior qualities to ABS in almost every way (twice as strong for impact resistance with pc) which is another reason I sourced locally rather than spend a bit less money, but end up spending the same after paying for gas and time. It will all break over time, but ABS and PC are definitely superior in strength to most other plastics. As long as I'm not bombing it down the fairway I shouldn't have any issues. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would make the slick plate longer if you do a second build. At least 36" in length, up to 48" if you can handle the extra size/weight. Better landing zone for your bucket to dump on. Nice build.

Yeah I was thinking how nice it would have been to build a 48" but the price of material from 36" to 48" went up substantially. The slick plate as it is, is 29" and the trap is 7" long, so it's not necessarily short. It definitely caught the fines the other day during its test run. If I get them all cleaned up this weekend I'll post a picture of the fines it caught.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks nice! Yes it will scratch and scuff over time (already has) but I'm not concerned in the least about that. Polycarbonate actually has superior qualities to ABS in almost every way (twice as strong for impact resistance with pc) which is another reason I sourced locally rather than spend a bit less money, but end up spending the same after paying for gas and time. It will all break over time, but ABS and PC are definitely superior in strength to most other plastics. As long as I'm not bombing it down the fairway I shouldn't have any issues. Happy hunting!

Did you consider using aluminum?
Not criticizing your choice of materials I like being able to see inside but I've found aluminum to be easier to work with, lightweight, and very durable.
flap.jpg diverter.jpg gt2.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bbarton

Bbarton

Oct 31, 2016
Motherlode
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did you consider using aluminum?
Not criticizing your choice of materials I like being able to see inside but I've found aluminum to be easier to work with, lightweight, and very durable.
View attachment 1415500

GG~

I did consider aluminum but I would have liked to have access to a break to bend it. Aluminum would definitely be the ultimate choice of durability, but it would have been a bit more difficult to come by for me as well. I was just fortunate that polycarbonate was carried by a hardware store in town.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did consider aluminum but I would have liked to have access to a break to bend it. Aluminum would definitely be the ultimate choice of durability, but it would have been a bit more difficult to come by for me as well. I was just fortunate that polycarbonate was carried by a hardware store in town.

I like your build, it's really cool looking :icon_thumleft:
Reminds me of the old Accutron watch where you could see the inner workings.

My brake is only 30" long from Harbor freight but it has come in really handy for fabing up aluminum projects of all kinds.
It was only $39.95 on sale back when I bought it

I was fortunate to have a sheet metal shop nearby that I could buy their aluminum scrap cheap.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions