Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buckshot is a little big, birdshot might be better, hammer them flat and paint them a bright color so they are easier to spot

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can't catch buck/birdshot in your sluice, you have a SERIOUS problem. Like NLB said, take the smallest birdshot and hammer it paper thin, then try it. Even that should be fairly easy to catch. Run it with full scoops of sand/dirt/gravel. Just dumping lead into a clean sluice isn't an honest test.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Even bird shot might be to big for most of the guys out there getting gold. if you try this way of testing your sluice mix up a variety of different size , shapes of lead ! Because in Nature all this gold is of different size and shapes.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen people using tungsten filings to emulate fine gold.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tungsten is about the same weight as gold. One thing to note is that tungsten filings will be very hard to flatten. Round pieces will tend to role along the bottom in the current. Flattened pieces will stay put until the current lifts them. Then they'll blow some distance just like leafs in the wind.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Birdshot testing is nothing new. We also used birdshot to teach greenhorns the basics of gold panning. :occasion14:

T

Tuolumne

in my area i get the bird shot after in my bazooka and i know everything is positioned fine, its hard to mess up a bazooka

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can vouch for the quantity of birdshot in the Tuolumne, that and any other kind of lead you can think of. In a spot i was working it was normal to have a furry sluice at shutdown all the bits of fishing line still attached to sinkers poking out all over the box lol.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Tungsten is about the same weight as gold. One thing to note is that tungsten filings will be very hard to flatten. Round pieces will tend to role along the bottom in the current. Flattened pieces will stay put until the current lifts them. Then they'll blow some distance just like leafs in the wind.

Benny is correct! the tungsten I have for my TIG welder is hard and will break/crack/splinter if you try to cut it with a diagonal pliers

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
It all works showing you how the gold (of that size / shape )will react to your current setup! I carry with me in my trailer , different riffles ,carpet , ETC. to try out in the different states that I used to go to. This year I want to try it again BUT using my new Gold Hog mats in two of my dredges. I want to hit Ill./ In. / Mo./ Wyoming /Co. IF I can keep my legs working under me!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It all works showing you how the gold (of that size / shape )will react to your current setup! I carry with me in my trailer , different riffles ,carpet , ETC. to try out in the different states that I used to go to. This year I want to try it again BUT using my new Gold Hog mats in two of my dredges. I want to hit Ill./ In. / Mo./ Wyoming /Co. IF I can keep my legs working under me!

I've got a dredging spot for you in CO Russ!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Kevin I may take you up on that offer. I do plan to goto Wyoming this July for dredge season BUT don't know for sure! We will have to make our plans to work with your "WORK" schedule! When I do go to CO. I try to work my friends claim on the Arkansas. and theres NOT many of them! I believe you know the owners of it!

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you are getting at, but y'all is all wrong.

While using a disposable material to see if your sluice is catching dense objects is a great idea, lead buckshot is too big, and steel bird shot which can be easily retrieved from your sluice with a magnet while the sluice is placed in the stream and still running ain't dense enough, steel being only slightly denser than black sands.

However, there exists a nickel, iron, tungsten alloy bird shot called Hevi-shot. It is slightly denser than lead, magnetic, and you can pick it up out of your sluice, or out of your tailings if your sluice is too steep, while the sluice is running and before you change it's placement. It is pricey stuff, about $30-$40 a pound but all you need is half an ounce or so. I use it to test drop riffles on my home built wood sluice boxes because it works.

Its also pretty good for shooting ducks. :tongue3:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin I may take you up on that offer. I do plan to goto Wyoming this July for dredge season BUT don't know for sure! We will have to make our plans to work with your "WORK" schedule! When I do go to CO. I try to work my friends claim on the Arkansas. and theres NOT many of them! I believe you know the owners of it!

You DO know I recently retired right? My schedule is travels with my wife (often to see family, sometimes to prospect) and digging for gold! Sometimes to research my book, sometimes just for fun and gold and friends :)

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You DO know I recently retired right? My schedule is travels with my wife (often to see family, sometimes to prospect) and digging for gold! Sometimes to research my book, sometimes just for fun and gold and friends :)

I'm going to need an early release copy of that book ;-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread