rocky99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Social Circle Georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The one of my creeks that has a water flow all year is fixing to get a reaming out. With hardly any effort I found fly poop size "nugget" shaped gold. On further examination under a microscope I found lots of small small (no size estimate) micro nuggets. I plan to get the fine gold with a large popandson type highbanker.

The complication is that while examining the stuff that was beyond my skill level to get with a pan I saw a sh*t pot load of sand grains ( quartz ) that has gold embedded or hanging onto the grains. I have 2 vibrating cartridge cleaners and I may use those with or without small steel shot to pulverize the sand with gold ( assuming I can identify what stage of concentration will be most productive).

The question is once you get a batch of ultra fine gold and sand, other than mercury, whats the best way to separate? Could a heavy dose of flux work to melt a heavily contaminated batch? I have a quicksand concentrator but have no idea if it would help.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From a previous post, it sounds like you have a gold cube(?). I would re-run your concentrates back through the cube to see if they clean up even more. Don't mix the concentrates on the top tray with the others but do the same microscope check to see how they compare with what you originally checked. You may find it is not worth the effort to keep messing with it. No advice as to melt or amalgamate.

Good luck.

OP
OP
R

rocky99

Greenie
Dec 31, 2016
Social Circle Georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have gold cube, quicksand concentrator and miller table. Spiral wheel probably in my future. I hate to waste gold.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is a thread about using a cement mixer with rods to crush as well as flatten the gold. This would seem to be a good app for that.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Classify and pan. It works at all sizes :)

Doug Bundy

Feb 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170222_115616 1.jpg Anybody see any gold? Doug

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is one of your fellow "Georgia home boys" solution to fine gold final concentration.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions