Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I usually just pan it out, if I'm really lazy and have access to it I'll run my spiral wheel.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my set of steps:

First I do a fast "dirty" pan. Where I just dump my cons into my pan and do a really quick and dirty pan over a catch pan/tub. I tend to think that if I'm panning correctly that most large gold is going to make it to the bottom of the pan. This should eliminate any gold larger than the +20 mesh size (I have been fooled once!). So I don't generally think that I'm missing any gold nuggets that are larger than a 1/8" screen, but smaller than the 1/4" that my sluice classifies too.

I'll also hit that pile with a metal detector next time I go out since I'll have my MXT with me. While not the best detector on small gold, I do think it would be able to find a nugget in the -1/4" to + 1/8" size if it somehow didn't make it to the bottom of my quick and dirty pan. But I think any gold that size would have a hard time staying on top. Not that I've found anything that big yet! But I doubt I'm leaving any nuggets at the river in that gravel pile.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a clue of what to do with -1/8 cons but what do you guys do for -1/4 +1/8? pan, visual inspection, finishing sluice?

Just pan it. Quick and easy at that size. Of course all I usually find is lead bullets in that size range :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread