NCHomesteader

Greenie
Feb 26, 2017
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clear Creek that runs outside of Denver was my first panning experience a couple summers ago and netted about 1/4 gram of dust and small flakes just using my pan over a couple months. I was hooked! So I started learning more about other processes and tools and came across the sluice box. To me, it reeks of awesomeness in itself to create mini turbulents to capture that heavy stuff we spend hours digging and sifting for. I came across this plastic tray that has a 3/8"x3/8"x1/8" grid, cha-ching for a base right? had some old training wheels...they go on to create an almost perfect 22.5 degree angle and helps with maneuverability. Mom was going to throw out some broken wood blinds...no way! They're now my louvers to happiness. And of course the top grate to help filter the larger rocks. My concerns are whether this will actually work or not lol. I know it will be slow going to keep the rocks clear but it is all a process either way. I appreciate any advice and I apologize for incorrect orientation of photos

Angles for Hire.jpg Sluice Box Pan.jpg Sluice Box Louvers.jpg Sluice Box Grate.jpg

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am speechless...................:laughing7:
You should probably try to get a patent..................:laughing7:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fun project perhaps but please get something better so you aren't wasting your time at the creek. Really.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a circular saw and the skill to use it, you could easily build a 4' drop riffle sluice from from a single 8' - 1" x 8" piece of lumber. The drop riffle sluice is a proven design.

I can hack one out in less than 1/2 an hour with less than $20 worth of wood and hardware. You could too most likely.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like riffles are too deep? Angles? As suggested, get a better sluice so your not wasting your time. Time is money...

Sent from a spun out toilet paper tube (one ply)!!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The biggest flaw in your project is actually the grid in the plastic container. It provides multiple horizontal channels for the gold and everything else of a size less than the depth of the channels a direct route out of the sluice beneath the makeshift riffles. This link will give you a better understanding of sluice design and how and why they work. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gold+sluice+design&*.

Good luck.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like you got something there. I wouldn't call it a sluice but... I don't want to discourage you by any means. In fact, just the opposite. Forge ahead. To your mom I send my deepest sympathy. You've got not only the gold bug but the companion affliction of DIY goldfarb fabrication.

Everywhere you'll notice classifiers, sluices and other wildly different ways to catch the gold. Welcome to our world.

I expect you'll meet up with Kevin soon. He'll find a way to get you hooked up with a Bazooka and you'll be done for a little while.

Last edited:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill Salvation Army, 2nd hand junk shops will have all kinds of super cheap classifiers and things that can be tweeked into effective goldfarbs . And on occasion will have actual pans and sluices . Good luck

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like you got something there. I wouldn't call it a sluice but... I don't want to discourage you by any means. In fact, just the opposite. Forge ahead. To your mom I send my deepest sympathy. You've got not only the gold bug but the companion affliction of DIY goldfarb fabrication.

Everywhere you'll notice classifiers, sluices and other wildly different ways to catch the gold. Welcome to our world.

I expect you'll meet up with Kevin soon. He'll find a way to get you hooked up with a Bazooka and you'll be done for a little while.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Unfortunately he's now living in North Carolina so it may be a while before we meet up ;)

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At ground zero of the California gold rush they axed out log sections for pans and rockers and made classifier screens out of woven tule.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At ground zero of the California gold rush they axed out log sections for pans and rockers and made classifier screens out of woven tule.

And lost a LOT of gold.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the new member that started this thread can figure out a place of business, not a home address but a business address that will accept a package of boards, I could mail a 30" or 36" inch Wooden drop riffle sluice all cut out and almost ready to go. All you gotta do is screw it together, throw it in the stream and start learning to use it. That is, if are interested NCHomesteader.

OP
OP
NCHomesteader

NCHomesteader

Greenie
Feb 26, 2017
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest flaw in your project is actually the grid in the plastic container. It provides multiple horizontal channels for the gold and everything else of a size less than the depth of the channels a direct route out of the sluice beneath the makeshift riffles. This link will give you a better understanding of sluice design and how and why they work. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gold+sluice+design&*.

Good luck.

Thank you for the link! This was just a project to put a picture to the thousands of words I could have tried to use to describe what I was trying to make!

OP
OP
NCHomesteader

NCHomesteader

Greenie
Feb 26, 2017
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt sure, it was a shot in the dark lol. Thank you!

OP
OP
NCHomesteader

NCHomesteader

Greenie
Feb 26, 2017
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, don't forget to ask your mother. I asked my mom if I could mail something and she said "o.k."

Thank you for the offer Duckshot, I believe I will take you up on this if it isn't too much trouble for you! I am limited with my selection of tools and supplies for building a more proper sluice, I'm all about homemade designs and hand-me-down techniques like back in the g"old" days! My mom was glad to be rid of the blinds to be honest!

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Good luck.

This link doesn't work for me but I really want to see it, anyone got it again?

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread