BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know, I'm a newbie to gold prospecting. Just thought I'd give this a "bump".

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A bump? There's really no reason you couldn't do it that way. Maybe one. On a Bazooka there is a downward diverter which forces some water down into the gravel. You wouldn't have that. Or maybe you would...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A question Does the trap on a fluid bed sluice need to have a cover on it? I have
seen some home made fluid bed sluices on youtube that did not appear to have
a cover. Some just had a screen over the trap.

Thanks
Lefty2u

Hi Lefty,

I have built them both with a solid cover and with small punch plate (3/16" holes) covering the trap and have seen no difference in recovery.
Either way something needs to cover the trap to allow for the large gravels and gangue to be eliminated from entering into the trap.

It has been my experience that a solid top plate over the trap has an easier time eliminating those gravels due to providing less friction.
The reason I can get away with using the punch plate is because my fluidbed designs do not incorporate an elevated grizzly.

Since on my design there is no elevated grizzly holding the larger gravels in place to get a more thorough washing, I use a punch plate cover over the trap to slow the gravels down allowing that much more area and time for fine material to have a chance to enter the trap.

If you use an elevated grizzly as on the production models I would suggest you go with a solid cover.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lefty2u

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG,

Thanks for the answer. I have been using your sluice plans as a
partial guide. I was hoping that you would answer my question.
I was thinking of just putting a 1/4 screen over the trap.
Also how large is the trap input opening and output opening?
Is there a difference in height of the input and output openings?

Thanks
Lefty2u

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GG,

Thanks for the answer. I have been using your sluice plans as a
partial guide. I was hoping that you would answer my question.
I was thinking of just putting a 1/4 screen over the trap.
Also how large is the trap input opening and output opening?
Is there a difference in height of the input and output openings?

Thanks
Lefty2u

Double click the diagram to enlarge it.
openings.png
On mine the output opening is 1/8" taller than the input. A sleight hedge due to sluice almost always being run on a down slope.
Distance from output lip of trap to bottom of top cover is 5/8"
The input opening is 3/4".

Not sure about the use of 1/4" screen across the top of the trap.
I've never tried it so you are on your own. If it doesn't work it would be easy to change out.

GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread