What do You Want on your 'Zooka?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's been a lot of discussion on building bazooka type sluices. A friend and I are completing our first one this week.

This one began as a clone of a BGT Prospector. A slightly larger trap is the only difference. One feature I wanted to add was access to the tubes. We came up with a way to have them removable which serves to allow inspection and cleaning as well as changes to the hole pattern etc...

I've also seen recurring discussion of some kind of inspection area. I wasn't really happy with the small strip of V matting I added to mine last year. Some people suggested grooves physically added might be good.

I came up with a way that's invisible until you add material. But it should hold at least some of the gold on the deck for inspection or retrieval. More on that later.

There have been a ton of helpful ideas to date. Digging into hole patterns and other design features has been great. I'd like to hear any and all ideas for zook builds. At least those you're willing to share.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. I posted on my journal so I'll share here too.

This is either the best thing since... bacon floss. Or just the meds:}

The magna-deck 'zooka inspection bead.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490640617.272933.jpg

With this modification you'll almost magically be able to see what heavies you are getting. In areas like mine with abundant black sands a bead will quickly build up to create a pillowy barrier. Gold flakes will momentarily be caught and held for your enjoyment.

Should you be in an area with minimal black sands it would let you know when you are finding it. This would seem to be a good indicator in itself.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490641151.347647.jpg

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the grooves idea. They would have to be very shallow more like a slight scratch and about 1/16-1/8 wide to keep the integrity of the deck. I would think. A U shape might work well. Just some thoughts.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neodymium magnets tend to corrode easily, so they would have to be sealed against water entry.

Clear acrylic or polycarbonate versions would be almost invisible under water. Nice for hiding from the eco-terrorists. Just remember where you put it!

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The quarter inch deck is pretty tough. I don't think a16th or so in depth would hurt it. Not that I recommend it. That's partly why the magnetic line appeals to me.

I read that about the corrosion but they are coated in nickel I believe. I've also added a rubber coating as well.

There are clear plastics tough enough for a body. Lexan maybe. I think acrylic is brittle though. As far as stealth, the black does well enough for me.

Sockeye1730

Feb 7, 2017
Juneau AK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarter inch deck is pretty tough. I don't think a16th or so in depth would hurt it. Not that I recommend it. That's partly why the magnetic line appeals to me.

I read that about the corrosion but they are coated in nickel I believe. I've also added a rubber coating as well.

There are clear plastics tough enough for a body. Lexan maybe. I think acrylic is brittle though. As far as stealth, the black does well enough for me.

Perhaps just glue a another small layer of plastic sheet on the underside of the deck to reinforce the grooved area? or maybe mill the deck down and add some v-groove in the recess so it doesn't stick up so much? just a couple ideas.

The magnets seem like a solution looking for a problem to me, as the trap should contain all the black sands no problem. They might save a bit of panning at the end of the day, but at the expense of smooth flow down the slick plate.

Keep up the good work! :occasion14:

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm feeling so misunderstood:(. I'm not catching the BS. I'm using it to catch the gold.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't the deck be layered? 3/16" base layer with 1/16" upper layer for example. You could then put a strip of V-groove matting, leave 1/4" gap, etc when bonding upper layer to lower layer.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You certainly could Kenmitch. This is what I like. Lots of ideas. More than one way to skin a cat.

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tonight's topic-Bumpers

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1490755500.264796.jpg

A little background. When I got my Bazooka I got to the stream, dropped my pack like always. Low and behold I broke it. What had been habit with my Keene was a no no with a non metal sluice. No big deal. As you can see, I had to sacrifice a Folger's can. But the result was better than new.

So my question is does it need bumpers and two, black ABS or another Folger's can red?

I kinda like the red.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"What do You Want on your 'Zooka?" A beer can holder mounted to the side would be nice.

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Better yet! A support stand with built in pony keg. The flowing water keeps the beer cold.:occasion14:

Even better! With that much weight, you'd probably be able to set that thing in class 4 rapids without it moving (at first, until enough of it gets drank).

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. Forget the bumpers. Now we're talking. I could do a beer holder. I ain't carrying no keg.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya roll the keg, ya don't lift it!

When you drink her till she floats, it's cleanout time! Add a new keg!

Hmmm....beer keg dredge floats....start em full, run bank material till she floats, add dredge, keep going till empty, time to cleanout. :drunken_smilie:

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok we'll just list that as "adult beverage caddy". Check.

Other, more "on label" (gold operations) ideas would include accessories. Gbone has demonstrated both wings and a deck extension.

I tried the wings in extremely low water last year. They worked great. Along with a tarp, you can really direct nearly ALL the flow to the sluice.

The extended deck sounds like another addition with possibilities. Kinda like the old long-toms. Lots of shovel area could be used to great benefit.

One more Zooka took from my personal experience is a crevice tool/ rock picker. The grizzly tends to get pebbles stuck so this is really needed to keep those little buggers moving along.

Keep 'em coming.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm....This is one of those silly threads?

OP
OP
goldog

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If anyone suggests you-know-what I'm calling the mods. Hey! I just got an idea :P

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't resist...it needs fish oil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread