Maiden Voyage of my DIY Drop Riffle sluice.

newbAu

Aug 18, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to Astrobouncer and UtahAvalanche for all their DIY prospecting projects. I have learned so much from you. It has been a long winter and had some fun with a few projects. Here is my take on one of them.

It is 10"x 30" I used common board. I used a router table for the drop cuts, nothing fancy, I wanted to keep it simple my first build. I did add a few deep back cuts for the gold get tucked in and comfy. I coated the whole thing with 2 coats( will add at least one more) of Rust-oleum rubber spray sealant. It cost me less than $20 for the materials.
Here is a short video

It was only a test, I ran it for maybe 20 minutes to make sure it was sea worthy and got a couple specs! So I guess it catches the small stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0278.JPG
    IMG_0278.JPG
    821.2 KB · Views: 140

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all it has to do is work = catch gold and it does that. Simple, generally easy to carry, likely easy to clean out, classifying down to ~ 1/8" might be helpful but then check the larger classified material for gold just to make sure you are not throwing out nuggets. Oh wait, maybe Michigan does not have nuggets! I was born and raised in and around Detroit for 12 years.

Just curious, why did you want to try this out as you have some good equipment in your arsenal already?

Astrobouncer built some awesome sluices with all kinds of mods, it was fun checking out his latest inventions!...............63bkpkr

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

newbAu

Aug 18, 2015
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to tinker and build things, this looked like a fun project, and it was! I really like drop riffle sluices I wanted to try a larger one, my Recon is a little small and I didn't feel like forking over anymore money for a new one, I have enough gear! lol. This one can hold a lot of material, My cons from the sluice were about the same as my Bazooka trap. Clean up is a breeze also. I usually classify to 1/4" sometimes 1/8". I like 1/4" because I can get more lead shot out of the creeks also. Not worried about nuggets, but you never know! I have found some nice size pieces, but nothing like Cali.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really enjoyed astrobouncers videos, I hope he's well haven't seen a new vid or post for some time. I think I saw he was studying to get a degree. I hope he's just busy with that.
I always enjoy utahavalanche's videos as well lots of good stuff there

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I was going to build one of these drop riffle sluices my self. I gathered the material to make it BUT never got -round - 2 it! I also like to build things that I see but I'm to beat up to use it (shovel) But still its fun to make it over the Winter months!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread