Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. Fluid beds, recirculating sluice and highbanker versions.
2. Homebuilt, Garrett pans.
3. WI, MI.

Model 4 bed.
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2879.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Capt Nemo -

Nice setup - Is this the same unit I saw in the homebuilt fluid bed thread?
How many watts is your solar array and how much time does it extend your battery run time?

I am assuming this is a picture of Lake Superior. What can people expect when they prospect and mine there?
Are the black sand concentrations fairly high like on the west coast beaches?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I started using the Cube but it's too slow for me....

Then I converted 2 of my highbankers into a 6' long setup using the same vortex matting...

Now I'm designing a completely new, longer one just for beach sand that uses Gold Hog and vortex mats....I may need a stepladder to feed it.
More to come soon....hopefully!

OP
OP
S

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike - Not sure about the GH Mats - Doesn't the vortex clog fairly quickly with heavy black sands? I am assuming there is high concentrations of black sand in your material.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mike - Not sure about the GH Mats - Doesn't the vortex clog fairly quickly with heavy black sands? I am assuming there is high concentrations of black sand in your material.

Good question! Run the vortex at 15 degrees (that's quite steep) and it'll still catch fine gold but not clog with black sand.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin is right on the mark.
I added the second sluice so when I feed faster it has more time to settle. As for black sand concentration, mine is pretty much solid black sand with a sprinkling of light blonde sand mixed in.
Look up Ray Rusaw on youtube to see some beach action.
[h=1]Ray Rusaw[/h]

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capt Nemo -

Nice setup - Is this the same unit I saw in the homebuilt fluid bed thread?
How many watts is your solar array and how much time does it extend your battery run time?

I am assuming this is a picture of Lake Superior. What can people expect when they prospect and mine there?
Are the black sand concentrations fairly high like on the west coast beaches?

Yes it is. I've built 8 different beds, and so far model 4,5,7, and 8 have been successful. It's a Coleman 55 watt solar panel system running a 36 watt 800 GPH bilge pump, so I can run all day. The model 5 (highbanker) runs 3 of those pumps, so I added a second panel set and larger charge controller.

When prospecting there expect your location to change daily. In one day you can watch the beach at the waterline to go from cobble to sand and back again. Stuff is really moving around there. You may find a lens of black sand about 12" down, or it could be at the surface. Bands can be 2-3" thick, but if you're lucky you can get a patch 12" thick or more. There's a lot of fine black pea gravel that's also magnetic, and the black sand can also be found in buried cobble. So far, gold has run from #16 mesh (windowscreen) on down, but a nugget may be possible but rare. I've seen values run up to 1.5 grams per yard. Run anything 1/8" or less. The black sand is a sure bet, but anything there may be gold bearing, as the waves move everything around a lot. Right now I'm running a patch (hopefully it's still there) of black sand that varies from 1/4" to 3" thick and is 100 yards long. It was pushed way up the dune by the waves. A 3.5 gal bucket of that netted 40 pieces from #16 on down, and the panned out cons and tailings seem to have a heavier material than iron sand. I'm about to have a sample tested to see what else is in it. I have found platinum there every once in awhile, and copper, silver, and electrum are also possible. And search the cobble for agates! Rock pickers abound. The State of Michigan does not recognize any mineral claim beyond the high water mark, and if you have come down a cliff or steep eroded bank to get to the beach, the base is the high water mark. Recirculating systems will prevent the need for a pump permit. Bag limit on gold is 1/2 oz per year. (but who's going to check a bucket of cons for it)

Safety note. If the waves are running at an angle to the beach, STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!! Alongshore currents can do 15-20 MPH, and move 8" rocks with ease. Always watch the water for a rogue wave. Moose, wolves, coy wolves, and black bears are also possible.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Mike, I saw your bucket concentrator. That idea is excellent! Thank you for that. I can afford this and it looks like it works really well! Much abliged!

OP
OP
S

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Johnedoe -

Cleangold is awesome on the beach! I have the 16" and 6" sluices. Now in Oregon you have to run from freshets - No motors. An explanation of how it done would be great.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnedoe -

Cleangold is awesome on the beach! I have the 16" and 6" sluices. Now in Oregon you have to run from freshets - No motors. An explanation of how it done would be great.
It will run in with fairly low water but of course it slows you down I have a few short vids on youtube that are also posted in my thread that shows you what a good feed and water rate are.
Say howdy to Dennis for me..... Saw him at the Portland gold show a few weeks back and hope to get together with him on the beach sometime.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread