gold on the clay and in the sluice.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a "beach" yesterday and found lead melted blobs just sitting on top of the clay , just wish there was gold in this area lol, no such luck.

The beach wasn't a good "sand" beach it was more a place where people go to "drink" and dig "quahogs" or clams if you will.

Did find about a buck worth of clad and some brass things as well.

Lead is about the same weight as gold right?

I didn't even have to dig most of it. it was just sitting there, I think I was the first to take a metal detector there this year or maybe ever. Because isnt out of the way, up a dirt road and hidden , you wouldn't know about it unless your local.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is about twice as heavy (dense) as lead. Thanks for cleaning up the environment!!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to a "beach" yesterday and found lead melted blobs just sitting on top of the clay , just wish there was gold in this area lol, no such luck.

The beach wasn't a good "sand" beach it was more a place where people go to "drink" and dig "quahogs" or clams if you will.

Did find about a buck worth of clad and some brass things as well.

Lead is about the same weight as gold right?

I didn't even have to dig most of it. it was just sitting there, I think I was the first to take a metal detector there this year or maybe ever. Because isnt out of the way, up a dirt road and hidden , you wouldn't know about it unless your local.

There is a Canadian gold prospecting forum (GPEX)* member (NS Gold Seeker) who regularly finds picker size gold in cracks in the bedrock in a tidal zone in your Provence. I think some of what he does is visual but he might do even better were he to use a metal detector. Give you any ideas?

Good luck.

* Google GPEX gold prospecting forum. It is a great forum and is mostly Canadian oriented.

Last edited:

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ead is about the same weight as gold?

Alright.

This is one of my peeves. People- Weight refers to the way gravity pulls on an object. DENSITY refers to the way gravity pulls on an object divided by how much space the object occupies.

Density most always expressed in metric terms. The density of water, for example, is one gram per a cubic centimeter. An object with a density of more than 1g/cc will sink in water and an object with a density of less than 1g/cc will float on water.
It does not matter what the object weighs.

Here are some common, pertinent densities-

Pure platinum, 21.45g/cc
Pure gold, 19.3g/cc. Placers are rarely 24K and will have a density less than pure gold.
Pure lead, 11.3g/cc
Pure silver, 10.5g/cc
Copper, 9g/cc
Iron, 7.7g/cc
Black sand, about 6g/cc
Diamond, Garnet, about 4g/cc- which is why diamondscan be really tricky to pan. Diamonds can float on black sands.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead is about the same weight as gold?

Alright.

This is one of my peeves. People- Weight refers to the way gravity pulls on an object. DENSITY refers to the way gravity pulls on an object divided by how much space the object occupies.

Density most always expressed in metric terms. The density of water, for example, is one gram per a cubic centimeter. An object with a density of more than 1g/cc will sink in water and an object with a density of less than 1g/cc will float on water.

Pure platinum, 21.45g/cc
Pure gold, 19.3g/cc. Placers are rarely 24K and will have a density less than pure gold.
Pure lead, 11.3g/cc
Pure silver, 10.5g/cc
Copper, 9g/cc
Iron, 7.7g/cc
Black sand, about 6g/cc
Diamond, Garnet, about 4g/cc- which is why diamondscan be really tricky to pan. Diamonds can float on black sands.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright.

Pure platinum, 21.45g/cc
Pure lead, 11.3g/cc
Pure silver, 10.5g/cc
Copper, 9g/cc
Iron, 7.7g/cc
Black sand, about 6g/cc

Black sand is 5.1-5.4, Garnet 4.7-4.9, Diamond 3.0.

Atomically lead is heavier, but not as dense.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Black sand is 5.1-5.4, Garnet 4.7-4.9, Diamond 3.0.

Atomically lead is heavier, but not as dense.

I gotta admit that I don't have a diamond to measure, but wikipedia says a specific gravity of 3.52 for diamond. Rounds up. But yeah, garnet is a bit heavier than what I posted.

Not at all sure what you mean by your last statement. Weight is meaningless without volume so far as density is concerned.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I gotta admit that I don't have a diamond to measure, but wikipedia says a specific gravity of 3.52 for diamond. Rounds up. But yeah, garnet is a bit heavier than what I posted.

Not at all sure what you mean by your last statement. Weight is meaningless without volume so far as density is concerned.

He means the weight per atom is higher. True but not real world relevant since gold atoms pack closer together due to their atomic structure...as you say it's all about density!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do need the atomic weights for determining alloys like electrum as to how much of each metal you will get.

So for 303 grams of 50/50 gold silver electrum, roughly how much of each metal will you get?

A: 196g gold, 107g silver.

Atomic weights do have real world relevance.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In chemistry, molar weight is the weight of a fixed number of atoms/molecules (something X 10^24) and is the same as atomic weight(s). So 1 mole of gold weighs 196.967 grams, and 1 mole of silver weighs 107.870 grams. Due to the density of each, you would see twice the volume of silver than gold. But combining the two would be a 50/50 mix.

1 mole of magnetite weighs 229 grams, so it actually weighs more than gold. But due to it's lesser density it leaves the miller table easily and the gold stays behind.

So we should be calling it density rather than weight.

And now I have everyone confused!:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually a nice description!
Avogadro's number, 6.022×10^23 [emoji3]

And while we are at it, it's mass not weight. Weight is mass on earth [emoji290] at sea level. I weight less at my house (9500 feet elevation) but my mass is the same.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions