Which sluice box should I get for East Fork San Gabriel River?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll mostly be in the East Fork San Gabriel river for the foreseeable future. I'm really struggling on which sluice to get here, I'm hoping you guys share any thoughts you have. They say the good gold is up higher (like 5 to 7 mile hikes) but I don't expect to be doing that most of the time if ever. I will be doing some hiking though to get just passed the lazy guys near the parking lot. I would like something light, but I also want to catch gold, so I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Originally, I wanted the Cal Sluice. It's a 13 pound sluice that is great for this river, because you don't have to classify. My problem so far is that I have spent all my time classifying, and never getting to the gold. So I thought I would just lug that thing around with me and call it a day. But, then I started finding sluices like the Angus Mackirks, the Le Trap, the California Sluice, and even the gold hog mats seem solid. I have no idea which one to get though. Anyone have any experience with these or know if one is better than the other for my application?

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No I did. I've written a response 3 times now but something is not working so I am going to make it brief. Yes I saw the post, was very helpful. It almost made things more confusing for me though, and after my prospecting adventure last weekend I am feeling overwhelmed. The Angus Mackirks seems solid and light weight, but there's tons of different variations. The le trap seems average but popular, would require the installation of metal bars as well as cutting out the back to make it a river robber. Also, a rubber pad of some kind that I haven't found seems to be popular when placed at the sluice mouth. I was thinking maybe 1 sluice for long distance hiking like the Adventurer but I would then need something for closer range. The Cal Sluice still gets points for not having to classify, but the Boss II from Angus Mackirk I believe kinda does that too. Anyways, hopefully this one goes through.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm local to you if you'd like to see the latest Goldzooka. Hoping to have a couple ready to test by the end of this week.

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I actually just caved and bought one of the razorback mats from you guys. It seems like the perfect usage for my current sluice. I'm going to strip it and replace it with the gold hog mats. Definitely interested in the goldzooka though...if nothing else just for the name.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not me no mats. Goldhog mats should do well for you though. Might still want to classify first.

Fluid bed slices haven't really caught on with those guys at the EF. Not sure why.

Goldzooka is my (barely) fledgling venture to make Bazooka clone plus! Sluices. The plus! is in a few mods. But that's another thread.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not me no mats. Goldhog mats should do well for you though. Might still want to classify first.

Fluid bed slices haven't really caught on with those guys at the EF. Not sure why.

Goldzooka is my (barely) fledgling venture to make Bazooka clone plus! Sluices. The plus! is in a few mods. But that's another thread.

Which are already being produced (with lots of improvements) by a tnet supporting vendor here: www.grizzlygoldtrap.com

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I actually just caved and bought one of the razorback mats from you guys. It seems like the perfect usage for my current sluice. I'm going to strip it and replace it with the gold hog mats. Definitely interested in the goldzooka though...if nothing else just for the name.

Did you buy just the razorback? You should pick up a couple of other mats to give you different capture zones. Yes I know they can get expensive, maybe you have a friend who would be willing to split the cost with you.

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only reason I did that is because my sluice is only 24" long x 7" wide. It would have been a waste, and since I'm such an amateur anyways I figured I'd save the money until I upgrade.

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MrGneissGuy - My customers tell me the East Fork is a strange beast with varying water conditions (very high and fast to just a trickle) and a wide spectrum of gold sizes. Most of them walk pretty far to find good gold. Unfortunately I would say you'll need several sluices!

The main problem with a 24 x 7 inch sluice is when you actually run into good gold you don't have the ability to move higher volumes of material. I would move this sluice to your low water travel sluice. Switch to with something lightweight so you can still travel but it should be capable of moving 25-40 buckets a day.

My Opinion (AKA the 5 cent tour)
Spring High Water - need something that can take some flow. lightweight enough to travel because you will need to walk to find gold and a good setup spot.
Early to Mid Summer - should have decent water to run just about anything - need good production and the ability to capture fine gold.
Late Summer/Fall - your 24" with good mats since water is at a trickle. Keeps you in the game, throughput will be much lower.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My latest purchase is the Gold Hog Stream Sluice. It's is, by quite a measure, the best water based gold capturing equipment I've used yet.

I bought it from Doc with both the high and low flow mats. These mats really do like fast water. I only remove the lager rocks (4"+) before running shovels full or buckets. After running numerous buckets of bank run material I'm left with less than a cup of black sand and gold which I usually just dry and pour into a masson jar for later cleanup.

I have the Bazooka (48" Prospector) and a LeTrap along with a 2-1/2" Proline Combo. All are good tools but I like the Gold Hog best for a stream sluice.

Mike

Mike

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got word that he's now got a LeTrap as well as a longer sluice with v-mat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Angus sluices are super lightweight and catch everything. They have no mats or wing nuts or any pesky easy-to-lose parts and clean out takes seconds. No need to take a sluice apart these days. Find the size that fits in your pack and you'll love that thing. My .02 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread