Update on my sluice

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I decided to rip the carpet out of my sluice, and I temporarily have V-mats installed. When my gold hog mats arrive next week I will be replacing it again with those. Anyways, I was so anxious to get everything setup that I used my concentrator to feed my sluice, as I couldn't come up with anything better. The dirt I am running is probably not auriferous but you never know. I was panning it and finding black sand before. Anyways, take a look and let me know if you guys have any tips or advice. I will be building a hibanker over the next few days, so try to keep any critique directed towards things like the angle of my sluice, more or less water flow and stuff. Like you can see the dirt building up in my riffles pretty quick, am I doing something wrong if that happens?

These videos were made for personal use....sorry they are not very good and you have to see my fat wife in the video...just kidding she's pregnant...

https://youtu.be/IKRAQ9am8WM

and

https://youtu.be/CuIQHuMbonk

Jun 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Monsieur GayLord here. Looks like you're doing a mighty fine job if I do say so myself. If you're interested, you can come over to my house, we can split a bottle of Merlot, and I can show you how to really mine for gold if you know what I'm saying ;).

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife looks similarly "fat" right now...maybe a couple of months fatter though, haha. Dig now! Before she thins out again and you can't get out.

It's hard to tell with v mat. The only dirt I've ever run over it has been heavier concentrates so it acts a little different, but I'd say you could use more angle. It looks like you have enough water volume.

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best wishes on your soon-to-be addition!

You mentioned converting to a highbanker, and that's where my comment is directed. Since your sluice box is so short, you're losing valuable box length up top by dumping material in where you demonstrated in the video. When you add the header box, hopefully you can design it such that your material will drop right in the top couple of inches.

I can't remember which video Doc made that describes his Piglet a little better, but you may want to copy that design as best as you can. Underneath the header box, you want to back up the flow just a little with a flap of rubber (also smoothes flow a little, too), and place miner's moss on top of the mat in that section held down with a piece of expanded metal. Once you've done this, turn UP the flow if you can, so your mat doesn't load up.

I would have concerns that your pump just isn't powerful enough for the demands in the field. Works fine for processing concentrates, but not so much for rough material.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread