Question about where to dig to prospect.

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys quick question I've been wondering about. In my local area basically everything good has been dug out. Every single boulder, tree root, whatever has a hole in the front of it where someone has obviously dug it out. My question is...is it worth it to re-check these spots? I mean...maybe after like 100 years there's a chance that during a flood a nice nugget dropped in, but I'd just be guessing. Follow up: Should I start prospecting super hard to reach bench deposits as the next best option?

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're not done with a spot until you've hit BEDROCK.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If its in the mountains. It can recollect after every flooding event. A lot of gold can be in the banks. And if its a glacier area more so. Only way to find out is check it out.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No glaciers here. But lots of ancient stream-bed.

Yes it's been dug out repeatedly over the years. But there's a reason people return there. It depends on your expectations on how you proceed.

Ask yourself why you do it and what do you expect? Some are ok to just "get some gold". Others want to "make it worthwhile ". I would like at least a dollar or two. A grain if I'm being greedy. No one always gets all they want.

Maybe it's the crowds. The place is over-run with all sorts. Most get along but some don't.

Many of these variables can be worked out even at the EF. My guess is you want a better return, less crowds, ground that has at least some of its chastity left.

Hike as far as you are able. Find a guide. Take an extra supply of foodstuffs or something helpful to the locals. (Martin likes jellybeans and glaucoma is common if ya get my drift.)

Elsewhere may require different approaches. It's pretty dry a lot of places. There are some year around streams but a dry washer is required for others. That's a different map.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to TN. Let us know where you are from and the members here can be even more helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread