Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes I have. Its basically a drop riffle sluice. I like them a bit better when screwed down to a board. But in a pinch for sampling while backpacking it should work ok. I've held onto some petty small gold with them. I mostly use them as a backup to my fluidbeds.
https://youtu.be/elWgNNeeZ4k

Sent from my LG-H918 using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
the guy on devils canyon tv show used one.it looked like it worked good.
good luck brad

OP
OP
gldguy1

gldguy1

Apr 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome thanks everyone, I figure I will try it out and see how it works

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some testing awhile back when I was using it in a recirculating system.
poop tube_2.jpg

They are very effective in catching fine gold to pickers.

Drawbacks are the reduced feed rate, the fact that they can and will fill up with black sand, and that larger nuggets can and will roll out.

I took a couple hundred grains of various size gold and mixed it up in several 5 gallon buckets of unclassified material. I then spooned it into the system shown in the picture.
The only measurable gold that was lost was larger nuggets and gold with quartz.

The gold stayed in the upper portion of the pipe. It would help to run a section of pipe longer than what you think you need.

I've heard it called a "poop tube"
Doesn't take much water to run.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I wouldn't care about how much black sand was trapped as long as the fine gold stayed put! Empty it often ( if needed )into a bucket for cleaning up latter ! you can always sell the black sand to people with flower gardens , Guys that use it in bags for rests to stabilize their rifles or to body shop guys to assist their forming sheet metal with a mallet , or to guys that want it for foundry work!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
how much do people pay for a pound of black sand? thanks brad
I wouldn't care about how much black sand was trapped as long as the fine gold stayed put! Empty it often ( if needed )into a bucket for cleaning up latter ! you can always sell the black sand to people with flower gardens , Guys that use it in bags for rests to stabilize their rifles or to body shop guys to assist their forming sheet metal with a mallet , or to guys that want it for foundry work!
of

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stuff works great for rainwater. Put it on the end of the downspout. 100% efficiency will move the rain water where you want it and it's cheap.

Oakstrails

May 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Just Me
For the time being
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The stuff works great for rainwater. Put it on the end of the downspout. 100% efficiency will move the rain water where you want it and it's cheap.
Hahaha true that... Wonder if there's gold on roof shingles?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I had thought that it would be less effective if the ribs were full of black sand.

It's cheap to try - Report back.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I recently tried nailing some RV drain hose to a board as suggested in a George Massie video, I watched the video years ago and thought it was bs. I tried it recently and it worked flawlessly.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've fooled around with it. It works.But clogs up easily. 011.JPG

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've panned and sluiced my water ways, but no color. However, my driveway has 6 corrugated drain pipes. One of these days I'm going to sample those folds.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've panned and sluiced my water ways, but no color. However, my driveway has 6 corrugated drain pipes. One of these days I'm going to sample those folds.

You never know.I've read reports of gold (on the North slope) of Bull Mt.....good luck

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You never know.I've read reports of gold (on the North slope) of Bull Mt.....good luck

Those reports are fact. The gold finds were off Polebridge Creek (2 miles East of me). It was mined for a little while, but finally deemed to be too little gold to make mining profitable. I'll continue dreaming of a little color here and there. If I found $0.50 worth I'd still be delighted!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hahaha true that... Wonder if there's gold on roof shingles?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Yep, water coming off the gold capital dome in Denver has been known to carry gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread