Grease Table Experiment

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got around to building a grease table.

The table is similar to a miller table, only in the first 6" it's slickplate, then a 1/4" drop onto the grease section. I built the grease section to be removable for addition and removal of the grease. The active side is .030" below the sides, so that a scraper can level the grease during application. 10 stainless screws hold the platter on the table. I'm using the same 180 GPH fountain pump as my miller table, and the leveling bar from it as well. I built the rear support at a higher angle than my miller table as water testing gave better coverage at the high angle.

For testing I used Vaseline for the grease. I was having a problem with the scraper pushing the Vaseline down the table giving poor coverage. I had to smear the Vaseline on, so it didn't give a nice smooth surface to the grease. Vaseline and acrylic don't stick very well to each other. The Vaseline was also somewhat crystalline, so it might have been too cool to spread easily. I was also surprised at how much I needed to get the .030 thickness. I did have to play with the angles a bit to get good coverage of the grease as the ridges would cause water problems. I had one area that water just wouldn't cover unless it was channeled by a sand slick. I ran a mix of miller table tailings from beach sand and stream material that I knew would have at least some gold. The slick plate worked fine and as I was applying material, I did see at least two pieces of gold sliding down. The drop catches material behind it like would happen in a normal sluice, and the irregular surface of the grease also caught and held material. But otherwise, all the black sand left the greased area. This machine does run a lot faster than a miller table. After running, I checked the table at 10X and found about 12 pieces of gold stuck in the grease. I didn't find any gold past the first 2" of the grease, so it looks like a good capture technique. I haven't panned out the tailings yet, just too busy packing up EAA. The amount stuck to the table would be about the amount needed for fanning in a pan. The only bad part is the separation from the grease. Heat the grease till melted, pour off, then clean with alcohol.

I'll wait until I have a few buckets of table tailings before running the grease table. Even though it's faster than a miller table, there's less work after the run to get clean gold.

Here's the table.

IMG_3054.JPG

Near center is a piece of Superior beach gold (flat), and in the upper right by the bubble there's 2 pieces of Nugget Lake gold (rounded). Both are within an inch of the drop on the table.

IMG_3055.JPG

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there's 5 pieces total in that pic! :icon_thumright:

One at center.
One at top center that looks like it's attached to a black sand grain.
One about 2/3rd's of the way from the center speck to the top right corner.
One above the black sand to the left of the bubble at top right.
And one supertiny speck just to the right of the bubble.

The black sand at the bottom center of the pic is about the 1" mark.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating experiment!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice build, Nemo, and great results! I wonder if any of the white material might be diamonds?
Jim

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, just bubbles in the Vaseline. But I do want to build a larger table so that I can classify right onto the slickplate. The Nugget Lake location has a lot of blue rock that I think are kimberlite, so running a table there to check for diamonds is a good idea, and kinda the reason for this table. Then I can bag both gold and diamonds in the same device.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please keep us updated on both your results, and your further experiments on this.
Jim

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked the angle and I'm running 9 degrees on the table.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then I can bag both gold and diamonds in the same device.

That's funny Nemo! :laughing7:

Have you done any research or are you just winging it? Vaseline? It would be great if you could recover both at the same time.

I wish you luck. I suspect physics will give you a run for your money but I'm enjoying your efforts in the meantime. You might want to confer with Goodyguy on this forum, he has some real world experience in small scale recovery systems for both gold and diamonds.

Heavy Pans

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was expecting to see a set amount of gold run through the device..then a weigh in on the recovery.
How do you know how effective it is?

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the miller table tailings were a combo of beach and river material. And given what I've seen panning out the tailings before and the volume that I ran, my initial number spotted in the grease would be about right.

I don't have to work today, so I can pan out the tailings and check for loss.

Diamonds are also a hydrophobic surface like gold, so oleophilic adhesion should work same as gold.
Recovering Fine Gold with Oleophilic Adhesion - April 2014 (Vol. 83, No. 8) - ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal

Edit: Didn't copy the link. See 50/50 black sands page 3 in Panning section.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you paid any attention to the temperature of the water? My understanding of grease tables for diamonds is the temperature is pretty critical for a good recovery. Could have an impact on recovering gold too.
jim

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's about 65 in the basement, but on location, probably closer to 70+ depending on rains. I don't think gold will have much problem due to it's density, as it will plow it's way into the grease. I just don't have any available diamonds to test...unless I pry them out of Mom's jewelry...and that would get real ugly fast!

Other greases may work differently. I'm toying with Vaseline in the shop, but on location, I'd want to use vegetable based like Crisco. The only way I have to find out is go do it!

Time to go do the wash and pan those tailings.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got through the first pan and found 4 tiny specks in the pan. I'm thinking that the table angle is too high, and the gold blew off and never touched the grease. The gold found is the river gold that's really round and rolls off the miller table easily.

I'm going to drop the table to 5 degrees and run the material again.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reran all the material at 5 degrees. Didn't see more than 2 new pieces on the table. Hmmm... OH S@%#!!!! I forgot that I had added Jet Dry to the water for panning!!!

Well anyway, the table seemed much more well behaved but that may have been due to the jet dry. The jet dry also eroded the grease some as there was scum on the water when done.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washed out the tailings and ran again. The grease has captured a total of 19 pieces. First pan of the tailings yielded 3 pieces.

Here's what the table misses and the pan catches. The flash line is on the bottom of a Garrett 10" pan. The larger flat piece looks to be beach gold, and the other two are Nugget Lake gold. Easy to see why it rolls off the table.

IMG_3066.JPG

Either this gold is not touching the grease or it's getting knocked off by the black sand. So far this table isn't the magic bullet that some hype it as. I don't know whether I'm missing something or not. It seems to have caught the larger pieces, but let all the smaller stuff go. Might be the tiny gold isn't always able to break the surface tension enough to touch the grease. Table might still be too fast, or the grease isn't flat enough. Wrong temperature maybe. I don't know.

Well, I tried. Now to pan the tailings, clean the table, and call it a learning experience.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't give it up. Might need a different grease, or maybe warm water. Or maybe the gold has to drop onto the greased surface.
Jim

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's what the 1/4" drop was for, and most of the gold dropped in the first 3". I figured that the gold would pound it's way into the grease after the drop. Temp could be a factor, but you have to watch that you don't get things too warm and melt the grease off. Crisco might work better, and if used in the wild, would be a lot better than a petroleum based grease.

Right now I don't have a lot of time to devote to a cranky machine. I need to move dirt while I can before winter/work tie me up. I'll try tweeking her up this winter when I have more time and tailings to run. I'm going to concentrate these tailings and keep them for testing later, as we know the gold that's in them is not being caught.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing your learnings. I love me a good gear test!

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Panned the tailings and found 9 pieces ranging from -150 down to a -400 piece. So the table caught 21 (I accidentally scraped off 2 off before the last count) of 30 total, or about 60-70%. It basically caught all the big stuff and left the fines. So it will roughly catch everything down to 150, but after that, don't count on it. Other greases might do better.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...that's not a good rate, for sure. I, for one, appreciate the effort you made, in any case.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread