DFS "Damn Fine Sluice" Help

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for more info about DFS . Tried searching but no results here on TN and Google isnt any real help :BangHead: . I do know no one is selling them anymore. Looking for the original set up instructions and specs. The few pictures I can find it looks like its 2 sluice box put to tegther 1 is the slick plate and the other is matting and raised metal. Any help about the original DFS would be great Thanks

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Phil Hontz of Albuquerque New Mexico originally designed and built this and then turned it over to his "friend" to build and distribute them BUT his friend "kinda" let the entire deal/operation slip for him. And the entire deal went under , esspeccially when he posted the design a operating directions on the net. Then everyone built their own............ "Why buy when you can steal someone elses idea / design!" That's the catch -22 when you build something and want to try to sell it. you MUST have pictures of it or it wont sell!

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russau , Thanks for the info . I get the "Why buy when you can steal someone elses idea / design" mentality. Lots of stuff is way over priced but the convinence of not having to source material :BangHead: and to figure it out if someone doesnt have to creates a market. Sounds like Phil's " Friends Greed " was the begining of its down fall. Since it was so " easy to copy " people thought he was OVER PRICED so they built their own. In today market yes there is a lot of dyier but still alot of people that would just into walk into wally world and buy off the self. Since if it isnt broke don't fix it .
How I got into Prospecting was a impulse buy I was in gold county doing tourist thing visiting local shops and saw a EZ Sluice on the self it wasn't over priced so bought it to try out. This was before internet and reviews and price comparison ect. Still there is a price point that people will pay and wont no matter how simple some thing is to make. Just have to find it. Yes Prospecting is a niche market and we are all tight with our wallets. Any ways still looking for the original instructions and anything or about it .

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There will never be a shortage of people willing to buy a piece of gear that works. As long as the price is fair and the product can be in your hands instantly or relatively quickly.

Making your own normal style sluice is pretty easy for a handy person. Trying to copy a piece of gear that has some special aspect is not that easy and usually is not cheaper.

You end up with a semi wonky 80% capable time and money consuming project.

Not saying not to make your own stuff. Most off my stuff is customized. But, sometimes you just have to buy someone else's product because it is the more logical approach.

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Completly agree Goldwasher. Whats agravating is with the DFS is cant buy them anywhere and cant even find the original spec to make one. Yes it just looks like a 2 piece sluice but would like to have the orginal specs and " operating /set up instructions". It seams like the DFS is a Bigfoot plenty oif people know about it but noone has " proof " it is real .

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Reed Lukens used one in some of his videos. GW theres also never a shortage of people that are willing to buy a piece of gear that doesn't work, just go to a gold show and watch the carnage.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Reed Lukens used one in some of his videos. GW theres also never a shortage of people that are willing to buy a piece of gear that doesn't work, just go to a gold show and watch the carnage.

Very very true...though most people just end up buying classifiers and telling them selves...."i'll just build my own" :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread