Short vs Long Sluice Setup Difficulty

IowaRiverWalker

Greenie
Oct 9, 2017
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have never used a sluice or seen a person in real life use one. I was figuring shorter is easier to setup and get proper water flow. I was thinking a long sluice would be difficult to get proper drop angle.

I'm pondering Angus Mackirk Recon II 27" long riffles 5"-7" sluice-recon.jpg

or

something like Le Trap that is 46" long. RiverRobber_Sluice_i2.jpg

Any input would be good. All my gold is very fine here in Iowa.

Thanks

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To my recollection the reports I have read are positive for both sluices. I think you will do ok catching fine gold IF you set it up right. The ez sluice has recently been given a good review by one of our esteemed members too. https://www.google.com/search?q=ez+sluice+gold&enablesearch=true. Just one more thing to think about.:laughing7:

Good luck.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a rookie but have the AM Foreman that is just a little bigger @ 28" (? not sure on that) and I'm REALLY impressed with the fines it catches!!!!! It also is VERY forgiving (imho) about setup. Half the time I'm not real happy with the way mine is setup....and it still seems to catch the fines.............. Haven't even thought about ever using my Hungarian riffle sluice since I got the AM............ Either way, you'll love the drop riffle.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Le trap is a lot bigger and will need more flow.

They are both good for running minimally classified material.

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen quite a few people cut open the top end of the Letrap to increase flow.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a first sluice, the Recon II is perfect. We have a few in our arsenal and they always catch the gold. The LeTrap that you have pictured is not the stream sluice, they have 2 models and still, you're better off with the Recon II.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They only sell one ( Le trap) and want you to cut it to make it a stream sluice

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember Big or Small, it's more about how you use it and where you can excel in. Just ask the woman.......

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Longer sluices are a pain in the ass to setup sometimes but if production is your goal bigger is better... you want to be able to load material with a regular shovel, not a garden trowel as that will not get you anywhere fast. Something with adjustable legs will make life so much easier regardless of sluice size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread