Super thin large surface area gold...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What kind of sluice are you running? How deep are you running the water in it? Might those pieces have been mica?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's only an assumption unless you pan your tailings and find those "flakes"

There are a lot of colors and pebbles that can look like gold sitting on the matt or flare.

If it is the kind of piece that will kite...the type of sluice isn't going to affect its movement very much. Mainly it needs a place to bury itself and hide.

I would confirm gold is making it out of the sluice before you spend to much time worrying about losing gold just based on "seeing it"

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thin large diameter flakes will go down the full length of your sluice, sigh I've seen it happen to me using an A52 and yes it was gold not Mica. For my part I had the sluice setup with way too much water going through it, a rookie mistake. Reducing the flow till it is "Just Right" - common dirt and rocks are washed out but the heavies are left behind the riffles - can be a pain depending on the site. Wipe down the flare of the sluice with alcohol to be certain all the oil is off of it. You could also try a section of thin slotted rubber mat on the Flare.................best of luck, 63bkpkr

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thin large diameter flakes will go down the full length of your sluice, sigh I've seen it happen to me using an A52 and yes it was gold not Mica. For my part I had the sluice setup with way too much water going through it, a rookie mistake. Reducing the flow till it is "Just Right" - common dirt and rocks are washed out but the heavies are left behind the riffles - can be a pain depending on the site. Wipe down the flare of the sluice with alcohol to be certain all the oil is off of it. You could also try a section of thin slotted rubber mat on the Flare.................best of luck, 63bkpkr
Thanks for the response. Sadly, glad to know it isn't just me. Yes, I am 100% certain it was gold. Even got a good look at it through a magnifying lens before it took off. I believe the problem was turbulence. I started reviewing some videos that I made and noticed that once I moved the box to the end of a dam where the water flowed across the box like glass--the black sand stopped blowing out of the first set of matting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen course pickers wander out of a sluice because of black sand build up.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to run the ez-sluice pretty flat. Set it up so that you can watch the black sand starting to run down it around 1" per second. Once again, Vmat in the flare is a good thing and gives you a great speedometer to watch, plus it makes getting the proper set up working faster as you can see right away, how fast the material is moving.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also might consider cleaning out the sluice more often as well. For instance if you were cleaning every 4 buckets maybe change it to every 1 or 2 buckets. As others have said, stuff starts to get pushed out as the black sands build up.
Best of luck!

Golden_Crab

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a rubber flap, runs along waters surface to knock float gold down.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also might consider cleaning out the sluice more often as well. For instance if you were cleaning every 4 buckets maybe change it to every 1 or 2 buckets. As others have said, stuff starts to get pushed out as the black sands build up.
Best of luck!

Holy smokes - cleaning out the sluice every bucket of material?!
I'd revert to panning if I had to do that.

This is what I like to see...sometimes more water speed/volume isn't a bad thing.
Keeps the material active and fluid.
That sand/gravel is probably 1/4" deep and it swallows up the gold pretty fast.

Clipboard02.jpg

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just have to move more material to make up for the losses, might even get more gold to take home.
if you are worried about losses put a tub at the end of your sluice, compare what you find to whats in the sluice.
if you are losing 5% that's still a 95% recovery rate if there is a lot in your tailing's and you've tried everything,
might be a sign you should be looking to upgrade to something better than what you've got.
save up and get you one of these; Gold Hog Stream Sluice - Placer Gold Stream Sluice

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem I have seen with those types of mats in a stream sluice box, is that they prefer a steep grade with fast water. That is difficult to do in most small streams without having to pack material.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just add a catch tray at the end of your sluice.....
It is a tray that is the width of your sluice by about 4 inches long and 2-3 inches deep with a layer or 2 of good miners moss.
It is a cheap effective method of catching those elusive odd flakes .....
It's a kind of drop riffle fluid bed...

Last edited:
OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just add a catch tray at the end of your sluice.....
It is a tray that is the width of your sluice by about 4 inches long and 2-3 inches deep with a layer or 2 of good miners moss.
It is a cheap effective method of catching those elusive odd flakes .....
It's a kind of drop riffle fluid bed...
Sounds interesting. Got a pic of one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately no, I don't.
But I will see if I can't put something together for you.
It is originally used under the drop of the hopper box of a high banker.. The material then goes on down the sluice from there.
It is something I picked up from an Australian site ...

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
Keene a52 with high/low flow gold hog mats.
11in. fry basket
5 gallon soy sauce buckets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in S.W. Ohio and have only got flour gold up to a certain point until I found a new place recently.
98% flake has been the result of our digging on this new spot with a few specks. Actually volume wise 99.99 has been flakes.
I use a a52 with gold hog mats. I've replicated the low and high flow mats in docs stream sluice except for downdraft mats. I've replaced them with the motherload mat.
This last time out I ran the high flow mat and during clean out there was the biggest piece I've ever got so far.
It was an actual picker and it was so flat it bent from rolling the mat up during clean up.

When I went to pull the mat out to clean up and looked to see if there was any visible gold in the mat, there was this thing laying totally flat, almost wedged in length wise with no room to wiggle. So tight it bent when I rolled up the mat.
IMG_9080.JPG
It's that big dude. Looks bigger than it is because of the bend.

My point is this... the gold hog mats captured it. To be fair I haven't captured any tailing to test loss rate but my capture rate is consistent with sample panning results.
I'm somewhat of a rookie so you might want to disregard this post. Yes I know I need to test my tailings. We just got too excited to run our buckets and get home because of exhaustion. This is 2 classified buckets. 3 hours to do that. Hard pack on the very top.

We're gonna take a pick with us next summer:)

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in S.W. Ohio and have only got flour gold up to a certain point until I found a new place recently.
98% flake has been the result of our digging on this new spot with a few specks. Actually volume wise 99.99 has been flakes.
I use a a52 with gold hog mats. I've replicated the low and high flow mats in docs stream sluice except for downdraft mats. I've replaced them with the motherload mat.
This last time out I ran the high flow mat and during clean out there was the biggest piece I've ever got so far.
It was an actual picker and it was so flat it bent from rolling the mat up during clean up.

When I went to pull the mat out to clean up and looked to see if there was any visible gold in the mat, there was this thing laying totally flat, almost wedged in length wise with no room to wiggle. So tight it bent when I rolled up the mat.
View attachment 1522103
It's that big dude. Looks bigger than it is because of the bend.

My point is this... the gold hog mats captured it. To be fair I haven't captured any tailing to test loss rate but my capture rate is consistent with sample panning results.
I'm somewhat of a rookie so you might want to disregard this post. Yes I know I need to test my tailings. We just got too excited to run our buckets and get home because of exhaustion. This is 2 classified buckets. 3 hours to do that. Hard pack on the very top.

We're gonna take a pick with us next summer:)

When dealing with hard pack, a good SDS Max is the only way to go :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=30s&v=1kK2Id68INA

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have kiting gold, you need to get some form of surface damper like the crab said. It doesn't have to be big or fancy, just something that breaks that surface tension and makes sure every is under the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread