Evenly spreading out H2O in my cleanup sluice *PICS*

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
Keene a52 with high/low flow gold hog mats.
11in. fry basket
5 gallon soy sauce buckets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are probably better ways but this works pretty well.
I used a protein powder (SYNTHA-6) canister that fit very snugly into my Jobe 36.
It was exactly 10 inches tall:)
I had 2 pieces of hog moss that I wasn't using anymore due to the fact that my sluices are all hogmats now so I took the 8 inch piece (10in. wide) and put that in the bottom of the canister, protruding out the bottom slit. Then I rolled the rest of the moss up and stuck that on top.

Wow, the water comes out so evenly it's almost sexy.
I'll get some video when I get my mat and everything together. But here's some pics in the meantime.
image2.JPG
image1.JPG
New Note.png
Yeah I spelled laid wrong but you get the point.
I am also working on a mat combo that hopefully eliminates as much black sand as possible while retaining even the FINEST gold visible to the eye.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a piece of hogmoss to defuse the water in my Miller table my son uses. Works great for evening out the water.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And a quick tip. If anyone decides to go this route you may encounter some funk build up in the moss causing the canister to become a biodome of bacteria.
You can always remove the moss and clean. In my case it's a little of a chore because of the tape and such so I am gonna cook up a batch of super strength colloidal silver to run thru the thing. That should keep the funk to a minimum, and of course I'll report back as needed.
My pump is getting here tomorrow and my mat is almost done.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Thought I would add a pic of how my miller table spray bar applies water to scotch brite pads. No air bubbles and diffuses the water nicely.

scotch brite pad.JPG

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought I would add a pic of how my miller table spray bar applies water to scotch brite pads. No air bubbles and diffuses the water nicely.

View attachment 1528541

I use scotch brite pads on my miller table as well. They seem to work well and are cheap. I like the paper towel rack pvc holder!

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I use scotch brite pads on my miller table as well. They seem to work well and are cheap. I like the paper towel rack pvc holder!

Yeah, you're right! It has a nice cover though that comes down to the pad.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's funny. I actually was using scotch brite but only had the little pads. And their effectiveness led me to the moss.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It occurs to me that the most straightforward way to insure smooth, even flow across the breadth of the table would be to insert a piece of quarter or half round (or just a short angled slat) that forms a width wide, shallow reservoir* and, at the same time, act as a spillway for it. Water immediately seeks level so it would come to level and flow smoothly and evenly across the full width of the spillway then down the table so long as the table is level side to side.

*Total area about the same size as pads or a small piece of moss. I personally would direct the spray bar to the back wall above operating water level to avoid the potential of the water bulging depending on how it is introduced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It occurs to me that the most straightforward way to insure smooth, even flow across the breadth of the table would be to insert a piece of quarter or half round (or just a short angled slat) that forms a width wide, shallow reservoir* and, at the same time, act as a spillway for it. Water immediately seeks level so it would come to level and flow smoothly and evenly across the full width of the spillway then down the table so long as the table is level side to side.

*Total area about the same size as pads or a small piece of moss. I personally would direct the spray bar to the back wall above operating water level to avoid the potential of the water bulging depending on how it is introduced.

Agreed.
I played with that concept as well and somewhat incorporated it into my protein can (the slit opening being exactly cut level).
The thing I found that was the biggest issue with that approach was the turbulence and initial velocity of the water coming out the hose. The water wouldn't have time to settle and become glassy enough due to the size limitations needed for something convenient enough to put at the head of the sluice.....Unless you put a "filter" to absorb the initial energy of the discharge from the hose.
Then an issue of turbulence arose with the water falling onto the mat from the wall of the reservoir depending on the height of the fall. Not much but it was still there.
I'm positive the concept can work, and if perfected would probably be unbeatable.
As a matter of fact, I might cut a piece of wood and place it after my can to see if it gives a nice final touch.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
011.JPG
No problem with 'even' water flow on this set up.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as miller tables, I've seen some good DIY laminar flow vids and instructables with sponges and straws that would probably put a nice finishing touch on delivery systems.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1529709
Looks good.
I especially like your 2 bucket system with its filtration process built in.
Bet there isn't much sand making its way thru that tube to your pump:)
My system of smoke and mirrors looks kinda silly now.
Just promise me you won't post that pic when I post my final system:)

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my acrylic miller table I use a scotchbrite pad under a open cell foam dehumidifier pad behind the adjustable dam.

IMG_2810.JPG

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1529709

Roger,
I like the system you've set up there, you and I would get along great as it appears that your mind is like mine, going 70mph with no brakes. The I can do this spirit is alive and well with you and I. I have always got something cooking in the back of my mind.

Dig deep, Keep the color

Bill

Bandmenter

Oct 28, 2016
Northern Iowa
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are probably better ways but this works pretty well.
I used a protein powder (SYNTHA-6) canister that fit very snugly into my Jobe 36.
It was exactly 10 inches tall:)
I had 2 pieces of hog moss that I wasn't using anymore due to the fact that my sluices are all hogmats now so I took the 8 inch piece (10in. wide) and put that in the bottom of the canister, protruding out the bottom slit. Then I rolled the rest of the moss up and stuck that on top.

Wow, the water comes out so evenly it's almost sexy.
I'll get some video when I get my mat and everything together. But here's some pics in the meantime.
View attachment 1525483
View attachment 1525484
View attachment 1525485
Yeah I spelled laid wrong but you get the point.
I am also working on a mat combo that hopefully eliminates as much black sand as possible while retaining even the FINEST gold visible to the eye.

As with everything that I view on TNet, I draw a little inspiration and design from. On my Mini-Sluice project, I too have been having issues with water flow. Even stopped at the hardware store on the way home from work to buy some PVC fittings to try my hand at a laminar flow concept that has been festering around for a bit. Now where did I put the scotchbrite pads, I know I have a box of them somewhere. Keep in mind that I have read through the entire post and gleaned some pretty cool ideas from it.

Dig deep, Keep the color

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions