Grizzly gold trap explorer

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own one and love it. I use it only when I am visiting family in NorCal, not much in the way of rivers or streams here in the Imperial county. Paying with a CC eliminates all risk. Time may come into play but one has to remember that this is a Boutique Labor Of Love type business not a widget factory. My brother and I used it at the Bear River campground this past April, it does catch fines. If you are wanting a fluid bed to fool around with I do not see how you can go wrong.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the Motherlode GGT and had a few communication problems with Dennis(?) in the beginning but he made it all right and personally I wouldn't worry about him or his product!! Product is made well and works great and definitely does a good job on the fines. Well worth the wait if there is any due to production issues...…….as long as he LETS YOU KNOW.

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB-2, White's MXT, Garrett AT-Max.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Motherlode GGT and had a few communication problems with Dennis(?) in the beginning but he made it all right and personally I wouldn't worry about him or his product!! Product is made well and works great and definitely does a good job on the fines. Well worth the wait if there is any due to production issues...…….as long as he LETS YOU KNOW.

Yesterday afternoon I ordered a Snake River Products 'Expedition' from Kevin figuring I'd play around with it until the 'Titan" is available and then get one of those as well.

This morning I recv'd. an email notice from Dennis at GGT that the 'Explorer" is apparently available once again, so I ordered one of them also as I'd been hoping to...

Now, between a Gold Hog 'Highbanker', two 'sluices', the SNP 'Expedition' and the GGT 'Explorer' when they get here, I'm thinking I'm gonna have enough to keep me busy for awhile...!

DW

SRP_KBell

Apr 4, 2017
Galt, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DW -

Your Sluice is on its way today
Let us know how everything goes - Enjoy your Expedition!

KB

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DW -

KB

Thanks for the heads up and the fast shipping, Kevin. I'm looking forward to getting it.

DW

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It’s raining sluices!

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For some reason I have faith in this company, (GGT). Looks like they are up and running again according to their website so I plan on ordering an explorer on payday. :happysmiley:

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DW -

KB

Kevin. I got the Expedition in todays mail, all looks good... thanks for the fast shipping. I'm hoping to get up to the claim both tomorrow and again on Friday and can give it a trial run.

DW

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason I have faith in this company, (GGT). Looks like they are up and running again according to their website so I plan on ordering an explorer on payday. :happysmiley:

Here's some encouragement.

On Mon. the 25th., I recv’d. an email from Dennis notifying me that the GGT ‘Explorer’ was once again available… so I ordered one. Almost immediately, I rcv’d. an order confirmation.

Tues., I rcv’d. an email advising that my ‘Explorer’ was being readied for shipping and it would be shipped later that day.

A little while later I got a UPS shipping confirmation w/tracking # showing that it was shipping and the delivery date would be Thursday, the 28th.

I ordered it on Monday the 25th... it will be in my hands the following Thurs. the 28th. From order to delivery, only 4 days elapsed...!

I have to admit… That’s pretty damn good service and communication!

Thumbs up to Dennis!!

DW

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
I received my new Explorer last week and was able to take it out to the American (south fork) last weekend for a first run. Setup seemed to be pretty easy, though without being able to actually see the trap, I couldn't tell whether it was working correctly (aside: maybe I can mod it to use plexi-glass for the top of the trap?). Below is a video of my setup.

Overall, it seemed to operate well and caught gold. I plan to take a more scientific approach to measuring its performance the next time I go out, but would love to hear from others as to whether my setup looks right and / or how to make sure the trap is operating correctly.

Attached photo is 4 hours of work. Probably two to three buckets worth of unclassified material (i was using my pan to transfer material from my dig site to the unit, so i'm estimating). I'm guessing my run-rate would be better if I classified to 1/2" or 1" and used a bucket (less back-and-forth). Not too much small stuff, but sample pan wasn't yielding small stuff either, so I'm guessing that's just a reflection of the material I was working; black sand amounts were low as well.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 20180708_114134.jpg
    20180708_114134.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 124

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't need to SEE the trap to know it's working properly. Put your index finger into the trap's exit and feel the concentrates dancing. If you can't force your finger into the concentrates then adjustments are needed.

seattleMD

Dec 31, 2007
You don't need to SEE the trap to know it's working properly. Put your index finger into the trap's exit and feel the concentrates dancing. If you can't force your finger into the concentrates then adjustments are needed.

Assuming it is NOT dancing, I'm guessing that adjusting the angle of the sluice won't fix that, right? The only way (aside from being able to adjust the quantity or size of the holes in the pipes) would be to find water that's moving faster? Would creating a psuedo-flare with rocks achieve that?

What would indicate there is too much water being forced into the trap?

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never checked my box for dancing cons, although maybe I should. I've not heard of there being any problems with lack of action in the box and think that as long as you have good enough water flow on the top level to clear rocks that there should be plenty of flow in the lower level and tubes. I just check the opening of the lower level to make sure no rocks are blocking it. There was quite a bit of testing of these units by GGT and you might try running that question by them.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming it is NOT dancing, I'm guessing that adjusting the angle of the sluice won't fix that, right? The only way (aside from being able to adjust the quantity or size of the holes in the pipes) would be to find water that's moving faster? Would creating a psuedo-flare with rocks achieve that?

What would indicate there is too much water being forced into the trap?
There is no such thing as 2 much water in the trap. Dig more think less. No modifications are needed.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can not get to much water in the trap in a stream or river.

Run it as fast and flat as you can.

A clear top or sides will not show you anything and will milk up after a use or two anyways.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This idea that you need fast water is a common misconception. Head pressure (which pushes water through the tubes) is also (primarily!) caused by the weight of the water in the lower plenum. Running the sluice at a decent slope in a dam with still water on the upstream side of the dam will quickly demonstrate that the vertical column of water does a great job maintaining a good fluid bed.

You’ll know if the bed locks up because paydirt will back up onto the top skid plate and refuse to go in.

Worry less, shovel more!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This idea that you need fast water is a common misconception. Head pressure (which pushes water through the tubes) is also (primarily!) caused by the weight of the water in the lower plenum. Running the sluice at a decent slope in a dam with still water on the upstream side of the dam will quickly demonstrate that the vertical column of water does a great job maintaining a good fluid bed.

You’ll know if the bed locks up because paydirt will back up onto the top skid plate and refuse to go in.

Worry less, shovel more!

Sorry But force and flow matter.

A GGT running off of a pool from a dam vs,. a GGT in moving flow vs. coming off of a pool are totally different.

the laminar flow is less.. that matters and the pressure into the trap is less.

Just like a regular sluice that has its tail in the water vs. above waterline affects clearing of the material in the sluice.

With slow flow every shovel load creates a locked to slowed trap with the influx of material load/pressure against the holes in the tube.

It happens. It's the way it is and it matters. Feed rate does need adjusted at least.

A fluid bed sluice in good fast flow is working different that one that is the weir to a slow pool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread