Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 45 of 45
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Grizzly gold trap explorer

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31

    Jun 2018
    Meridian, Idaho
    Fisher GB-2, White's MXT, Garrett AT-Max.
    15
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by wildminer View Post
    For some reason I have faith in this company, (GGT). Looks like they are up and running again according to their website so I plan on ordering an explorer on payday.
    Here's some encouragement.

    On Mon. the 25th., I recv’d. an email from Dennis notifying me that the GGT ‘Explorer’ was once again available… so I ordered one. Almost immediately, I rcv’d. an order confirmation.

    Tues., I rcv’d. an email advising that my ‘Explorer’ was being readied for shipping and it would be shipped later that day.

    A little while later I got a UPS shipping confirmation w/tracking # showing that it was shipping and the delivery date would be Thursday, the 28th.

    I ordered it on Monday the 25th... it will be in my hands the following Thurs. the 28th. From order to delivery, only 4 days elapsed...!

    I have to admit… That’s pretty damn good service and communication!

    Thumbs up to Dennis!!

    DW
    63bkpkr, Gold4Mike, russau and 3 others like this.

  2. #32

    Dec 2007
    102
    2 times
    I received my new Explorer last week and was able to take it out to the American (south fork) last weekend for a first run. Setup seemed to be pretty easy, though without being able to actually see the trap, I couldn't tell whether it was working correctly (aside: maybe I can mod it to use plexi-glass for the top of the trap?). Below is a video of my setup.



    Overall, it seemed to operate well and caught gold. I plan to take a more scientific approach to measuring its performance the next time I go out, but would love to hear from others as to whether my setup looks right and / or how to make sure the trap is operating correctly.

    Attached photo is 4 hours of work. Probably two to three buckets worth of unclassified material (i was using my pan to transfer material from my dig site to the unit, so i'm estimating). I'm guessing my run-rate would be better if I classified to 1/2" or 1" and used a bucket (less back-and-forth). Not too much small stuff, but sample pan wasn't yielding small stuff either, so I'm guessing that's just a reflection of the material I was working; black sand amounts were low as well.

    Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180708_114134.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	1610072  

  3. #33
    us
    Mar 2012
    Idaho
    Nokta FORS Gold+, Fisher Gold Bug, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Bazooka 36" Prospector, GGT Nugget Sluice, Bottom Feeder Hand Dredge
    371
    799 times
    Prospecting
    You don't need to SEE the trap to know it's working properly. Put your index finger into the trap's exit and feel the concentrates dancing. If you can't force your finger into the concentrates then adjustments are needed.
    Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
    Visit my Idaho Gold Prospecting Blog at Bedrock or Bust
    US Army 1969-1971
    2015 Stroke Survivor
    2016 Cancer Survivor
    2017 Stroke Survivor
    2018 Pacemaker Recipient

  4. #34

    Dec 2007
    102
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Underburden View Post
    You don't need to SEE the trap to know it's working properly. Put your index finger into the trap's exit and feel the concentrates dancing. If you can't force your finger into the concentrates then adjustments are needed.
    Assuming it is NOT dancing, I'm guessing that adjusting the angle of the sluice won't fix that, right? The only way (aside from being able to adjust the quantity or size of the holes in the pipes) would be to find water that's moving faster? Would creating a psuedo-flare with rocks achieve that?

    What would indicate there is too much water being forced into the trap?

  5. #35
    us
    May 2017
    Mount Vernon, Washington
    Angus Mackirk Foreman Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer Gold Hog Piglet highbanker Home made slate miller table
    125
    343 times
    Prospecting
    I've never checked my box for dancing cons, although maybe I should. I've not heard of there being any problems with lack of action in the box and think that as long as you have good enough water flow on the top level to clear rocks that there should be plenty of flow in the lower level and tubes. I just check the opening of the lower level to make sure no rocks are blocking it. There was quite a bit of testing of these units by GGT and you might try running that question by them.

  6. #36
    us
    Jun 2013
    El Dorado County
    ROCKING GOLD GRABBER MINI- BGT PROSPECTOR- ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- MILLER TABLE, MULTIPLE SUCKER TUBES, VARIOUS HAND TOOLS, PANS AND CLASSIFERS, FORS GOLD PLUS, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER- DIY ROD MILL
    1,342
    2917 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by seattleMD View Post
    Assuming it is NOT dancing, I'm guessing that adjusting the angle of the sluice won't fix that, right? The only way (aside from being able to adjust the quantity or size of the holes in the pipes) would be to find water that's moving faster? Would creating a psuedo-flare with rocks achieve that?

    What would indicate there is too much water being forced into the trap?
    There is no such thing as 2 much water in the trap. Dig more think less. No modifications are needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDoozah View Post
    The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

  7. #37
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    4,956
    10508 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    You can not get to much water in the trap in a stream or river.

    Run it as fast and flat as you can.

    A clear top or sides will not show you anything and will milk up after a use or two anyways.
    GoldpannerDave likes this.

  8. #38
    us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

    Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    6,569
    9978 times
    Prospecting

    Grizzly gold trap explorer

    This idea that you need fast water is a common misconception. Head pressure (which pushes water through the tubes) is also (primarily!) caused by the weight of the water in the lower plenum. Running the sluice at a decent slope in a dam with still water on the upstream side of the dam will quickly demonstrate that the vertical column of water does a great job maintaining a good fluid bed.

    You’ll know if the bed locks up because paydirt will back up onto the top skid plate and refuse to go in.

    Worry less, shovel more!
    Learn where to dig in Colorado on my website www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

  9. #39

    Dec 2007
    102
    2 times
    Good deal! Thanks guys!

  10. #40
    us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    4,956
    10508 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    This idea that you need fast water is a common misconception. Head pressure (which pushes water through the tubes) is also (primarily!) caused by the weight of the water in the lower plenum. Running the sluice at a decent slope in a dam with still water on the upstream side of the dam will quickly demonstrate that the vertical column of water does a great job maintaining a good fluid bed.

    You’ll know if the bed locks up because paydirt will back up onto the top skid plate and refuse to go in.

    Worry less, shovel more!

    Sorry But force and flow matter.

    A GGT running off of a pool from a dam vs,. a GGT in moving flow vs. coming off of a pool are totally different.

    the laminar flow is less.. that matters and the pressure into the trap is less.

    Just like a regular sluice that has its tail in the water vs. above waterline affects clearing of the material in the sluice.

    With slow flow every shovel load creates a locked to slowed trap with the influx of material load/pressure against the holes in the tube.

    It happens. It's the way it is and it matters. Feed rate does need adjusted at least.

    A fluid bed sluice in good fast flow is working different that one that is the weir to a slow pool.

  11. #41
    us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

    Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer, Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper highbanker, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    6,569
    9978 times
    Prospecting
    Maybe true as you say but it does work and work well both ways.
    Learn where to dig in Colorado on my website www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

  12. #42
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2017
    Colorado
    96
    291 times
    Prospecting
    Seattle, you are getting a lot of good feedback here from several knowledgeable people. Since we emailed each other I will focus this message on the setup question. Its tough to evaluate you setup with only a top-down view, but it looks like you have low to medium flow into the sluice. A side view would help us see the setup angle of the sluice, which typically would be between 5-8 degrees angle. It looks like the 'V' in the water flowing down the transport deck extends about 1/2 way down the deck. A good starting point to determine water flow rate into the sluice is a 'V' that extends about 2/3 down the distance of the deck. In the setup you show, I would fill in the gaps in wing dam with a few rocks on either side of the entrance to the transport deck. That would increase flow into the sluice and my guess is that you would see the 'V' extend further down the deck. I typically keep the water level within a 1/2" or so of the top of the side walls. This depth with the increased water flow from building up the wing dam will improve the movement of unclassified or classified material down the deck and through and over the capture chamber. As Goldwasher and others mentioned, feed rate is important. One easy guide to feed rate is watching how material shoveled onto the deck clears the grizzlies. A simple guide is that if material is piling up at the grizzlies, then the feed rate is too fast. Take a look at one of our setup videos on our YouTube site (link at top of website), which will give you more information on setup and running.

  13. #43

    Dec 2007
    102
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyGoldTrap View Post
    Seattle, you are getting a lot of good feedback here from several knowledgeable people. Since we emailed each other I will focus this message on the setup question. Its tough to evaluate you setup with only a top-down view, but it looks like you have low to medium flow into the sluice. A side view would help us see the setup angle of the sluice, which typically would be between 5-8 degrees angle. It looks like the 'V' in the water flowing down the transport deck extends about 1/2 way down the deck. A good starting point to determine water flow rate into the sluice is a 'V' that extends about 2/3 down the distance of the deck. In the setup you show, I would fill in the gaps in wing dam with a few rocks on either side of the entrance to the transport deck. That would increase flow into the sluice and my guess is that you would see the 'V' extend further down the deck. I typically keep the water level within a 1/2" or so of the top of the side walls. This depth with the increased water flow from building up the wing dam will improve the movement of unclassified or classified material down the deck and through and over the capture chamber. As Goldwasher and others mentioned, feed rate is important. One easy guide to feed rate is watching how material shoveled onto the deck clears the grizzlies. A simple guide is that if material is piling up at the grizzlies, then the feed rate is too fast. Take a look at one of our setup videos on our YouTube site (link at top of website), which will give you more information on setup and running.
    Thanks for the feedback Dennis and confirming my assumption regarding extending the flare using rocks to improve water flow. In terms of feed rate, I was able to push about 1 garden scoop of material per 7-10 seconds. Usually there would be a few rocks that didn't clear the grizzlies, but most of the rocks, including bigger ones would clear them. I was pretty satisfied with that, I just wasn't sure about how the trap was performing. On my next trip I'll try and get video of actually feeding material so you can see.

  14. #44
    Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2017
    Colorado
    96
    291 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by seattleMD View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Dennis and confirming my assumption regarding extending the flare using rocks to improve water flow. In terms of feed rate, I was able to push about 1 garden scoop of material per 7-10 seconds. Usually there would be a few rocks that didn't clear the grizzlies, but most of the rocks, including bigger ones would clear them. I was pretty satisfied with that, I just wasn't sure about how the trap was performing. On my next trip I'll try and get video of actually feeding material so you can see.
    Check out our videos on setup of the Explorer. There are sections about setup and tuning (seeing the sluice from above and from side), flow rates, feed rates, proper way to pick up sluice for clean-out and the clean-out itself. If you were feeding only a garden scoop every 7-10 seconds, then my guess is that the flow rate into the sluice was pretty low. Redirecting more water with wing dam into the sluice and setting at an angle of 6-7 degrees and you can significantly improve/increase feed rate.
    KevinInColorado and seattleMD like this.

  15. #45
    us
    Northern California

    Aug 2007
    Southern California
    XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
    3,624
    3683 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Like the man said "Thank you Dennis" your inputs are very helpful especially to us 'Wanna Be's" as in I Wanna Be out there!..................63bkpkr
    Out searching w/GMT & friend under my arm

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Grizzly Gold Trap Nugget Model
    By mytimetoshine in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Mar 12, 2018, 09:59 AM
  2. Grizzly Gold Trap
    By RattlingDan in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 14, 2017, 04:37 AM
  3. Grizzly Gold Trap
    By RattlingDan in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug 08, 2017, 11:52 AM
  4. The Grizzly Sluice III vs The Bazooka Gold Trap
    By TunnelRat in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2015, 08:45 AM
  5. Bazooka Gold Trap vs Grizzly Sluice III
    By TunnelRat in forum Sluicing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Mar 28, 2014, 01:22 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0