Grizzly gold trap explorer

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanx for the vid! Only had my Motherlode out twice and had a hell of a time getting it set up so I've kinda forgot about it. The trap also seemed to fill almost instantly which caused me concerns? Your vid inspires me to take it out next trip and see if I can't get better results than my first attempts..........

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanx for the vid! Only had my Motherlode out twice and had a hell of a time getting it set up so I've kinda forgot about it. The trap also seemed to fill almost instantly which caused me concerns? Your vid inspires me to take it out next trip and see if I can't get better results than my first attempts..........

The trap on any fluidbed is supposed to fill up
Immediately. You should be worried if it DOESNā€™T!!

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When you say fill up, is the trap have material just filling the trap? Or is it backing up past the Grizzly bars? If it's backing up, then yes it's not functioning properly. If the trap is just full of material it's probably working correctly. Like kevin said if there's not much material in the trap it's probably scrubbing out.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you say fill up, is the trap have material just filling the trap? Or is it backing up past the Grizzly bars? If it's backing up, then yes it's not functioning properly. If the trap is just full of material it's probably working correctly. Like kevin said if there's not much material in the trap it's probably scrubbing out.

Thanks guys for clearing that up!!! I had everything working good as far as the deck being fairly clean and moving rocks over the grizzlies with the occasional grizzly shovel scrape to clear bigger rocks. I guess I didn't expect the trap to fill up so fast and after seeing the low amount of black sands for the amount of dirt I moved after cleanout?....I started to think the trap wasn't exchanging and maybe blowing out the smaller stuff right over the top of the trap???? Material in trap got to within about 1/2" below exit opening. I was in a new spot on a very crappy creek that has little gold but usually I get black sand in fair amounts.

Weather warmed up here so I've been able to get out a few times this year....BUT with the warmer weather the river is ripping and higher so it kinda ran me off, for now. Got cold again so when things calm down then warm up again I'll return to claim (where I know the gold) on the snow machine with ONLY the GGT. That way I'll have to make it work! I'll get that back on the claim and I'll know exactly what kind of gold I should get.

Thanks again for the all the info because I really thought the trap filling so fast was actually a problem........(rookie learns some more!)

PA290004.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys for clearing that up!!! I had everything working good as far as the deck being fairly clean and moving rocks over the grizzlies with the occasional grizzly shovel scrape to clear bigger rocks. I guess I didn't expect the trap to fill up so fast and after seeing the low amount of black sands for the amount of dirt I moved after cleanout?....I started to think the trap wasn't exchanging and maybe blowing out the smaller stuff right over the top of the trap???? Material in trap got to within about 1/2" below exit opening. I was in a new spot on a very crappy creek that has little gold but usually I get black sand in fair amounts.

Weather warmed up here so I've been able to get out a few times this year....BUT with the warmer weather the river is ripping and higher so it kinda ran me off, for now. Got cold again so when things calm down then warm up again I'll return to claim (where I know the gold) on the snow machine with ONLY the GGT. That way I'll have to make it work! I'll get that back on the claim and I'll know exactly what kind of gold I should get.

Thanks again for the all the info because I really thought the trap filling so fast was actually a problem........(rookie learns some more!)

View attachment 1549237
I like the picture! Nice leg setup, the flow looks really good.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do you guys have any guidelines or set rules for when you do a cleanout? I bought the Motherlode basically for the larger trap thinking less cleanouts? Keep in mind I'm old and tired and can't move much dirt anyways and for not much more than 5 hrs/day (with breaks....lmao!).....

TIA............

OP
OP
utah mason

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It really depends on the material. If there's heavy black sands I clean out about every 1- 1 1/2 hours. Otherwise I will runs several hours, but sometimes it's nice to take a short break and see what's in there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It really depends on the material. If there's heavy black sands I clean out about every 1- 1 1/2 hours. Otherwise I will runs several hours, but sometimes it's nice to take a short break and see what's in there.

Same here. Truth is, you could run a motherlode all day but my curiosity gets the better of me!

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol....yeah curiosity also gets me. Good to hear tho that I can run all day if I chose to? Old tired and wore out and only good for approx. 4 hrs on the smart end of the #2.........

Thanx guys.... I'll report results when weather permits a return to claim....back to single digits now so river will settled down after the recent warm up/melt so as soon as we hit a 35 degree day I'll be on it!!!!! Made a few trips up there this yr and this is the stuff I'm getting.....

goldie2.JPG

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
lol....yeah curiosity also gets me. Good to hear tho that I can run all day if I chose to? Old tired and wore out and only good for approx. 4 hrs on the smart end of the #2.........

Thanx guys.... I'll report results when weather permits a return to claim....back to single digits now so river will settled down after the recent warm up/melt so as soon as we hit a 35 degree day I'll be on it!!!!! Made a few trips up there this yr and this is the stuff I'm getting.....

View attachment 1549777

Beautiful stuff you are getting!!

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks! Itā€™s been like a couple of months since my last post! Well I was about to purchase a GGT explorer model but found a used Bazooka GT Prospector model for a good price. So, I was looking around on the web and here but did not find anything. I was wondering whats a good or recomended feed rate on a Bazooka Prospector? I know it all depends on waterflow, but could you just pour the material straight from the bucket? How many shovels per lets say, every 10 seconds? Less? More? Could someone give me some pointers?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A steady pace feeding directly with a #2 shovel is fine. From a 5 gallon bucket? You only need 60 seconds to run a whole bucket thru so donā€™t use one of those little garden trowels, just rest the bucket on its side and paw the dirt in!

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB-2, White's MXT, Garrett AT-Max.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all...

Iā€™ve not seen much discussion about the GGT's for awhile as far as sales, availability etc. Iā€™m curious if anyone knows if he's actually still in business?

I was interested in buying the Explorer fluid bed. Although the web site still comes up and gives the impression that he's still in operation, it shows 'out of stock' on all but the Mother-Load and has shown that for some time.

I sent an email awhile back asking if he's still in business etc. but have recv'd. no response of any kind. I'd be fine with buying the Mother-Load if it is actually in stock as the site shows but after getting no response to my email and also reading of past problems others have had, I'm hesitant to send any $$!

Has he faded away or still making these things?

Thanksā€¦ DW

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy all...

Iā€™ve not seen much discussion about the GGT's for awhile as far as sales, availability etc. Iā€™m curious if anyone knows if he's actually still in business?

I was interested in buying the Explorer fluid bed. Although the web site still comes up and gives the impression that he's still in operation, it shows 'out of stock' on all but the Mother-Load and has shown that for some time.

I sent an email awhile back asking if he's still in business etc. but have recv'd. no response of any kind. I'd be fine with buying the Mother-Load if it is actually in stock as the site shows but after getting no response to my email and also reading of past problems others have had, I'm hesitant to send any $$!

Has he faded away or still making these things?

Thanksā€¦ DW

Hi DW,
I had the same problem when i sent E-mails to that company. No response what so ever.
That was back in February or March.
But i figured Credit Cards will cover it ,if the company would be fraudulent.
Don't send cash!!!
So i ordered the Explorer and it arrived at my house about 2 weeks later. Just use your credit card and you should be safe to go. I hope this helped. Happy sluicing.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heā€™s definitely still in biz. Has had some problems with the shop that molds his bottom body for the sluices - which has delayed production and left him scrambling to handle everything.

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DW,
I had the same problem when i sent E-mails to that company. No response what so ever.
That was back in February or March.
But i figured Credit Cards will cover it ,if the company would be fraudulent.
Don't send cash!!!
So i ordered the Explorer and it arrived at my house about 2 weeks later. Just use your credit card and you should be safe to go. I hope this helped. Happy sluicing.

Thanks for the update, Mass. and Kevin.

Your right Mass., the Credit Card Co. would take care of their customer for the payment of an empty order if it came to that.

We all get busy and have our share of problems butā€¦ If a business, (or ā€˜wanna beā€™ business) wonā€™t take a few seconds and or have the common courtesy to answer a potential customers email questions about the availability of their product.., I donā€™t feel that they want my business very much and consequently, they won't get it.

From all the past discussions about the GGTā€™s poor customer service, poor to no follow ups, supposed setbacks beyond his control etc. etc. It seems that heā€™s making all the wrong turns and decisions to get a business off the ground and moving. Another negative, (for me anyway) is the lack of a contact ph. #.

Maybe his business has moved faster than he anticipated and he canā€™t handle or donā€™t want the stresses involved with most any startup business in the early stages.

Looks like it couldā€™ve been something with some management.

DW in Idaho

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Start a sluice box company they said..... it will be easy they said.......

Thouasands of orders ...super high demand.

All you have to do is but a big yellow label on it and it will sell itself they said......."

At this point I've heard it all.

My idea is this, and hold on cause in my experience thiis seems to be a deep deep concept to grasp...

IF YOU ARE SELLING SLUICE BOXES....... DON"T SAY THEY ARE FOR SALE UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THEM MADE AND ON THE SHELF READY!!

guess what happens when you do that?

You make customers happy.

I know Dennis wants happy customers. I see he made the wise choice to put out of stock on two of his boxes.

I hope he gets some more made and ready for sale.

DW in ID

Greenie
Jun 14, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Start a sluice box company they said..... it will be easy they said.......
Thouasands of orders ...super high demand.
All you have to do is but a big yellow label on it and it will sell itself they said......."
At this point I've heard it all.
My idea is this, and hold on cause in my experience thiis seems to be a deep deep concept to grasp...
IF YOU ARE SELLING SLUICE BOXES....... DON"T SAY THEY ARE FOR SALE UNLESS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE THEM MADE AND ON THE SHELF READY!!
guess what happens when you do that?
You make customers happy.
I know Dennis wants happy customers. I see he made the wise choice to put out of stock on two of his boxes.
I hope he gets some more made and ready for sale.

Yup, me to. I'd like to buy one of the Explorer's if and when he gets more made up for sale and would ship it in a reasonable amount of time.

Time will tell, I s'pose.

DW

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, last year I purchased an Explorer, the unit was shipped immediately with great follow up by the GGT folks. He came up with some great improvements to the BGT and put all of them into his products then (from what has been stated here) a supplier to his company did not make the components for him. He's a reliable person and put down his money to make a superb product, granted for a profit, but starting a business is not all peaches and cream especially when a critical supplier does not come through with what they contracted to do. Maybe we could give him a break as I'm certain he is not happy with what is happening to him. Just my 2 cents worth.....................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread