Users of the Gold Hog stream sluice.

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you own and use the Gold Hog stream sluice in a actual river or low flow stream ?
I don't want to here about mods with pumps or home builds I would like to here from actual owners and users of the Gold Hog Stream Sluice.
Where I am at the water Nazis and Tree huggers freak out anything powered electric or gas so looking for real user input about using only the stream flow.
What size gold are you getting down to ?
I know gold hog videos he always says getting -100 but has anyone actually screened the gold the have gotten with the stream sluice?

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Digger, I bought and used the Gog Hog Stream Sluice last year. I used it quite a bit on the Klamath River here in Northern California. This is a pretty large river, but where I was sluicing last, in pretty rich gravel bar, the flow was rather slow. A lot of volume but not much fall.

The sluice works great. For final cleanup, after a couple 5 gallon buckets of 1/2" screened material through the sluice, I then used 16, 30, 50 and 100 mesh screens. There was appreciable gold above and below all four screens. Like I said, this was a pretty rich gravel bar that I checked out after a successful deer hunt this last fall. From just the two buckets run, I weighed out .5 gram of gold.

The sluice, in faster water, will capture the same sizes of gold from regular unscreened bank run material. The reasons I screened the material to 1/2" in the above venture was the slow water and that I had to walk a fair distance from the diggins to the sluice. Buckets of rock are getting heavier. Really!!

Mike

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Digger, I bought and used the Gog Hog Stream Sluice last year. I used it quite a bit on the Klamath River here in Northern California. This is a pretty large river, but where I was sluicing last, in pretty rich gravel bar, the flow was rather slow. A lot of volume but not much fall.

The sluice works great. For final cleanup, after a couple 5 gallon buckets of 1/2" screened material through the sluice, I then used 16, 30, 50 and 100 mesh screens. There was appreciable gold above and below all four screens. Like I said, this was a pretty rich gravel bar that I checked out after a successful deer hunt this last fall. From just the two buckets run, I weighed out .5 gram of gold.

The sluice, in faster water, will capture the same sizes of gold from regular unscreened bank run material. The reasons I screened the material to 1/2" in the above venture was the slow water and that I had to walk a fair distance from the diggins to the sluice. Buckets of rock are getting heavier. Really!!

Mike

Thanks delnorter its nice to here from someone that actually owns and uses one. .5 gram for 2 bucket screened to 1/2 sign me up. I'd be camping on that bar.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one it gets the same fine gold any sluice gets.

Small amount of condos to deal with

If you run fast and flat with any sluice you get comparable results.

It's more about the dirt you dig than the box you feed

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use one it gets the same fine gold any sluice gets.

Small amount of condos to deal with

If you run fast and flat with any sluice you get comparable results.

It's more about the dirt you dig than the box you feed

GoldWasher What other set up do you suggest for -50 gold with low flow and not able to use power? I have a closet full of sluices and mat no hog mats in the bunch though. Hence thinking hard about their river sluice vrs piecing together and frankin--sluice

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldWasher What other set up do you suggest for -50 gold with low flow and not able to use power? I have a closet full of sluices and mat no hog mats in the bunch though. Hence thinking hard about their river sluice vrs piecing together and frankin--sluice

If you know for sure you will only find - 50 classify to 1/4 and use a box with riffles around 1/4 inch or a drop riffle. Ideally I would use expanded over moss or carpet.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Running a couple sizes of expanded on top of unbacked carpet over ribbed rubber is bombproof.

OP
OP
D

diggerdoodah

Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Goldwasher and N-lionberger ,
I'm gonna frankin-sluice something together since gonna b rained out this weekend.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's losses with any sluice, but with the GH Stream Sluice I have less loss and more fine gold recovery than with boxes with Hungarian riffles and carpet.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's losses with any sluice, but with the GH Stream Sluice I have less loss and more fine gold recovery than with boxes with Hungarian riffles and carpet.

That’s probably very true!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread