Users of the Gold Hog stream sluice.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree26Likes
  • 8 Post By delnorter
  • 2 Post By diggerdoodah
  • 2 Post By delnorter
  • 7 Post By Goldwasher
  • 1 Post By diggerdoodah
  • 2 Post By Goldwasher
  • 2 Post By N-Lionberger
  • 2 Post By diggerdoodah

Thread: Users of the Gold Hog stream sluice.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2013
    22 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Users of the Gold Hog stream sluice.

Do you own and use the Gold Hog stream sluice in a actual river or low flow stream ?
    I don't want to here about mods with pumps or home builds I would like to here from actual owners and users of the Gold Hog Stream Sluice.
    Where I am at the water Nazis and Tree huggers freak out anything powered electric or gas so looking for real user input about using only the stream flow.
    What size gold are you getting down to ?
    I know gold hog videos he always says getting -100 but has anyone actually screened the gold the have gotten with the stream sluice?

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    1165 times
    Yes Digger, I bought and used the Gog Hog Stream Sluice last year. I used it quite a bit on the Klamath River here in Northern California. This is a pretty large river, but where I was sluicing last, in pretty rich gravel bar, the flow was rather slow. A lot of volume but not much fall.

The sluice works great. For final cleanup, after a couple 5 gallon buckets of 1/2" screened material through the sluice, I then used 16, 30, 50 and 100 mesh screens. There was appreciable gold above and below all four screens. Like I said, this was a pretty rich gravel bar that I checked out after a successful deer hunt this last fall. From just the two buckets run, I weighed out .5 gram of gold.

The sluice, in faster water, will capture the same sizes of gold from regular unscreened bank run material. The reasons I screened the material to 1/2" in the above venture was the slow water and that I had to walk a fair distance from the diggins to the sluice. Buckets of rock are getting heavier. Really!!

Mike

Dec 2013
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorter View Post
    Yes Digger, I bought and used the Gog Hog Stream Sluice last year. I used it quite a bit on the Klamath River here in Northern California. This is a pretty large river, but where I was sluicing last, in pretty rich gravel bar, the flow was rather slow. A lot of volume but not much fall.

The sluice works great. For final cleanup, after a couple 5 gallon buckets of 1/2" screened material through the sluice, I then used 16, 30, 50 and 100 mesh screens. There was appreciable gold above and below all four screens. Like I said, this was a pretty rich gravel bar that I checked out after a successful deer hunt this last fall. From just the two buckets run, I weighed out .5 gram of gold.

The sluice, in faster water, will capture the same sizes of gold from regular unscreened bank run material. The reasons I screened the material to 1/2" in the above venture was the slow water and that I had to walk a fair distance from the diggins to the sluice. Buckets of rock are getting heavier. Really!!

Mike
    Thanks delnorter its nice to here from someone that actually owns and uses one. .5 gram for 2 bucket screened to 1/2 sign me up. I'd be camping on that bar.
    Reed Lukens and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    Oct 2008
    Northern California
    1165 times
    Ya, it was a great trip. I'll try to dig up some pictures.

Mike
    Vance in AK and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12905 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I use one it gets the same fine gold any sluice gets.

Small amount of condos to deal with

If you run fast and flat with any sluice you get comparable results.

It's more about the dirt you dig than the box you feed

Dec 2013
    22 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWasher View Post
    I use one it gets the same fine gold any sluice gets.

Small amount of condos to deal with

If you run fast and flat with any sluice you get comparable results.

It's more about the dirt you dig than the box you feed
    GoldWasher What other set up do you suggest for -50 gold with low flow and not able to use power? I have a closet full of sluices and mat no hog mats in the bunch though. Hence thinking hard about their river sluice vrs piecing together and frankin--sluice
    Goldwasher likes this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12905 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by diggerdoodah View Post
    GoldWasher What other set up do you suggest for -50 gold with low flow and not able to use power? I have a closet full of sluices and mat no hog mats in the bunch though. Hence thinking hard about their river sluice vrs piecing together and frankin--sluice
    If you know for sure you will only find - 50 classify to 1/4 and use a box with riffles around 1/4 inch or a drop riffle. Ideally I would use expanded over moss or carpet.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Mar 30, 2018 at 01:13 PM.
    N-Lionberger and diggerdoodah like this.

us
    Rock stacker

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1136 times
    Prospecting
    Running a couple sizes of expanded on top of unbacked carpet over ribbed rubber is bombproof.
    diggerdoodah and Goldwasher like this.

Dec 2013
    22 times
    Thanks Goldwasher and N-lionberger ,
    I'm gonna frankin-sluice something together since gonna b rained out this weekend.
    Goldwasher and N-Lionberger like this.

us
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Jul 2005
    Colorado Springs
    Tesoro LST, Tejon, Whites GMT, Makro Gold Kruzer, Falcon MD20, Fisher F-Pulse, Garrett Pro Pointer AT.
    329 times
    Prospecting
    There's losses with any sluice, but with the GH Stream Sluice I have less loss and more fine gold recovery than with boxes with Hungarian riffles and carpet.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11125 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggetshooter323 View Post
    There's losses with any sluice, but with the GH Stream Sluice I have less loss and more fine gold recovery than with boxes with Hungarian riffles and carpet.
    Thatís probably very true!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links