Gold Well

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm glad that you posted and yes it is your post! I thought that you may be harassed so I posted it anonymously.

GG it was the 2 bucket method with the test cap that we saw on YouTube that got us thinking of how we can do it with quantities of paydirt. It worked so well in the bucket but we wanted to automate it. In came a cone bottom tank, some bullhead fittings, hoses ECT! It works great!

Do I have this right for the cone concentrator? Fill water becomes waste/overflow water as the spin and/or added water raises the level to a drain hole where it is directed by hose or piping to another, previously filled, container from which water is pumped into the cone tank by directing it horizontally along the perimeter of the wall to create the vortex.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Physics is a bugger to get around. Only Superman and other fantasy figures can ignore physics. Organic grease - even Crisco floats on water no matter what the temperature.

At the same temperature as the water it's being compared to (specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a standard, usually water for a solid) the specific gravity will be the same. Only when the water and the substance being measured are different temperatures will density differences change the specific gravity readings.

Putting grease in your pan is a very old dirty trick played by miners on greenhorns. As Goldwasher has pointed out many times there are no commercial gold operations using grease tables to separate gold.

Heavy Pans

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Physics is a bugger to get around. Only Superman and other fantasy figures can ignore physics. Organic grease - even Crisco floats on water no matter what the temperature.

At the same temperature as the water it's being compared to (specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to the density of a standard, usually water for a solid) the specific gravity will be the same. Only when the water and the substance being measured are different temperatures will density differences change the specific gravity readings.

Putting grease in your pan is a very old dirty trick played by miners on greenhorns. As Goldwasher has pointed out many times there are no commercial gold operations using grease tables to separate gold.

Heavy Pans

We are commercial and we use it!

Lets see, two people here tried it, mining journals explain it, I know it works but you disagree. Why doesn't that surprise me?

A simple search will prove you wrong again but Im not wasting my time! I'll take GG's advice about considering the source!

Specific gravity (S.G.) is a measure of the relative density of a substance as compared to the density of water at a standard temperature. Physicists use 39.2°F (4°C) as the standard, but grease data sheets ordinarily use 77°F (25°C) to determine specific gravity.

Water is used but at a specific temperature because the specific gravity of an item changes due to temperature.

https://www.simetric.co.uk/si_water.htm

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180625-130013.jpg
    Screenshot_20180625-130013.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Arizau...

How big of a tank do you plan on using? If you want to process sands on site or at home a 10-15 gallon tank will be good and easy to transport. Check the PDF diagrams to see what size the top opening is. A standard classifier fits perfectly in the top of many tanks. You can't see it in the pics I posted but there is a hose connection where you can connect a hose to wash thru the classifier. You are going to pump enough water to change out the water in the tank every 1 to 2 minutes. For example if you get a 15 gallon tank you will pump from 7 1/2 to 15 gallons minute.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizau...

How big of a tank do you plan on using? If you want to process sands on site or at home a 10-15 gallon tank will be good and easy to transport. Check the PDF diagrams to see what size the top opening is. A standard classifier fits perfectly in the top of many tanks. You can't see it in the pics I posted but there is a hose connection where you can connect a hose to wash thru the classifier. You are going to pump enough water to change out the water in the tank every 1 to 2 minutes. For example if you get a 15 gallon tank you will pump from 7 1/2 to 15 gallons minute.

I appreciate your input. The idea is intriguing but right now I can't justify a production unit since I live in Arizona and drive to the coast but once a year to visit and to beach mine. I'm planning on making a scaled down test version from a bucket or flexible plastic waste basket to mess around with when I do go later this year. I'm hoping/planning to use a round plastic bowl for the bottom and power the unit with a bilge pump. I will probably have to use some self leveling acrylic or maybe putty to get even with the interior fitting and create a smooth transition to the drain hole. I did try the test cap in a bucket method once a few years back but had mixed results using beach sand. I think the broad flat bottom of the bucket prevented some of the gold and sand to lift into the vortex(?). That and I did not have much sand to test with. The test model should tell the tale. I will save about the first quart of drained material from a run but put it back in for the next charge until final cleanup.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
If the bucket and test cap didn't work then you did something wrong or there wasn't any gold.

The bucket has to be level when making the vortex. The hole where the test cap goes has to be in the center. The test cap has to be snug in the hole. The hole has to be round. Use a 2" or 3" hole saw to drill the hole! If you tried to cut it out with a razor knife or something else it could be the problem.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There was gold and the 2" test cap was centered by using a hole saw so improper sealing must have been the case.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You can use one of these instead of the test cap. If you can figure out how to attract it to the outside bottom of the bucket there won't be any lip inside of the bucket. If not just drop it thru the hole from inside the bucket. The lip is kind of thick so sand the edge to make it flush with the bottom of the bucket.

The bucket has to be level when making the vortex No matter what you use!

https://albioneng.com/orange-cone-n...MIvvjlnZnw2wIVjgOGCh2a9QMIEAQYAyABEgLKQPD_BwE

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right now I don't have any beach feed or concentrates to test with. The main purpose for my proposed test model is just to generate a few gallons of imperfect but reasonably enhanced beach concentrates from various locations to further test with and process at home. With those I can determine what spots I need to focus on next year depending on the gold recovered. In the mean time I will probably try the method with some dry washer concentrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SaltwaterServr

Mar 20, 2015
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Saltwater.
You gonna run placer or hardrock With that sluice.
If yu dont mind me askin.
Gt....

Placer for now. The overburden has around 5-7 grams of gold in it per yard.

Streamline is building a sluice using Gold Hog and dream mats in it. Two stage system.

sabretooth

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2006
chlsbrns this cone tank you use can you Pm me some more info if you do not mind , looking for new ideas for my commercial operation. Thanks

seafox

Dec 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Streamline is building a sluice using Gold Hog and dream mats in it. Two stage system.

if the overburden is running 200$ to 320$ per yard what is your pay gravel ??? no disrespect and I didn't use emogy that showed up but wow thats pretty good pay in the overburdan and I would be happy if the gravel I happen to mine was consistantly a gram a yard.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

Personally ,,,,, ​I would dump the dream mats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions