Le Trap Redesign?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just sharing actual facts

Wouldn't think you would make up a story.

Don't know why your friend did.

maybe hoping to reinforce a false narrative and non existing issue. I don't know:dontknow:

Fact remains that new tariffs did not affect sells of plastic sluice boxes from Canada

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with a friend who used to carry them in her prospecting shop here in CO. She said the problem is the new tariffs. It adds so much to cost to get them from Canada that she has zero profit left so she stopped carrying them.

The New tariffs suck.
We love you Kevin, but this is a politcal jab and you know it. I mean cmon, really.. Tariffs made Canadian sluice box companies go out of business in like a couple months?? LOL. U heard from your "friend"....I suspect they were miss manged because as far as AM is concerned they produced a quality product for a reasonable price... would be interesting to know what REALLY happened. Who knows maybe they just decided to sell out and retire?...

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We love you Kevin, but this is a politcal jab and you know it. I mean cmon, really.. Tariffs made Canadian sluice box companies go out of business in like a couple months?? LOL. U heard from your "friend"....I suspect they were miss manged because as far as AM is concerned they produced a quality product for a reasonable price... would be interesting to know what REALLY happened. Who knows maybe they just decided to sell out and retire?...

I called the guy in Canada myself Eric.

He makes them as needed as mentioned by someone else.

He said there just isn't a lot of demand.

Notice a certain sluice/prospecting manufacturer isn't advertising here anymore. Or in magazines...

And another new one is obviously having problems.

There is a misconception by many that it is a big industry ready to be tapped.

It just isn't. Very tight margins as well..

I new it was a B.S. excuse as soon as I read it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Gee thanks i love u guys too. The friend is Louise Smyth who owns Gold-N-Detectors In Golden Colorado. I just related what she told me. She got a bill from US Customs for her order. The end.

As to my own opinion, my economics training tells me these tariffs are bad for Americans and America so, yes, that affects how I think about all this. Since the tariffs are clearly happening, I’d love to be proven wrong. As the president often says “We shall see.”

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...oh and id love to debate you on the topic Kevin but politcs are not allowed on this forum, at least for some members...
Does your economics training tell you a stock market that actually goes up, is good? it was pretty flat for say ...idk about 8years!
Kevin i think you might be suffering from TDS!

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...oh and id love to debate you on the topic Kevin but politcs are not allowed on this forum, at least for some members...
Does your economics training tell you a stock market that actually goes up, is good? it was pretty flat for say ...idk about 8years!
Kevin i think you might be suffering from TDS!

I dunno what tds is but I have benefited greatly from the stock market rise. I look forward to seeing what happens next and I hope the new Canadian owner of Angus Mackirk figures out how to ship to my friend Louise without big tariffs.

HardHatMatt

Mar 15, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No anonymous source. It’s the owner of Gold-N-Detectors in Golden CO. She placed her usual $1K+ order early this year, paid the invoice and then got a bill from US Customs a few weeks later. Kills her whole profit so she has dropped the line of sluices after carrying it for years. Just the facts, nothing fake.

This doesn't pass the smell test on several levels. Even IF sluice boxes were subject to new tariffs (which they are not,) this tale unravels when you suggest that this type of tariff could "kill her whole profit." In most cases, retailers are shooting for a 100% "keystone" markup (i.e. bought it for $75 from manufacturer/wholesaler/distributer and retail it for $150) Of course, that isn't ALWAYS the case, and based on Goldwasher's conversations with the manufacturer, Louise's gross margin may be closer to 67%; still, a far-cry from the single-digit markup that could be erased by an end-use product tariff (which, again, doesn't apply here.)

I've purchased several items from Gold-N-Detectors over the last 4 years - to be clear, I have nothing negative to say about Louise or the shop. That said, based on what I've paid for sluice boxes, classifying screens, vials, scoops, magnets, a blue bowl (ya, ya, I know...I was new,) books, etc...I'm confident in saying their markups are a lot closer to 100% than 10%. In order for this "profit-killing" scenario to be true, they would have to be buying sluice boxes at $75 and selling them for $80-85...they simply don't move enough volume to run that low of a markup and remain in business. You'd have to sell several HUNDRED $80 items a month just to pay the rent...let alone cover all the other overhead or have anything left over for Louise at the end of the month.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This doesn't pass the smell test on several levels. Even IF sluice boxes were subject to new tariffs (which they are not,) this tale unravels when you suggest that this type of tariff could "kill her whole profit." In most cases, retailers are shooting for a 100% "keystone" markup (i.e. bought it for $75 from manufacturer/wholesaler/distributer and retail it for $150) Of course, that isn't ALWAYS the case, and based on Goldwasher's conversations with the manufacturer, Louise's gross margin may be closer to 67%; still, a far-cry from the single-digit markup that could be erased by an end-use product tariff (which, again, doesn't apply here.)

I've purchased several items from Gold-N-Detectors over the last 4 years - to be clear, I have nothing negative to say about Louise or the shop. That said, based on what I've paid for sluice boxes, classifying screens, vials, scoops, magnets, a blue bowl (ya, ya, I know...I was new,) books, etc...I'm confident in saying their markups are a lot closer to 100% than 10%. In order for this "profit-killing" scenario to be true, they would have to be buying sluice boxes at $75 and selling them for $80-85...they simply don't move enough volume to run that low of a markup and remain in business. You'd have to sell several HUNDRED $80 items a month just to pay the rent...let alone cover all the other overhead or have anything left over for Louise at the end of the month.

the unfortunate scenario for most retail...and prospecting supplies. Is that you are very unlikely to sell items at 100% mark up.

If you compare to online stores you would have the higher price.

I have had more than one person pull out their phone to look at prices on an item.

If it is a must have buy it now item people will pay the premium.

If you are selling to a local customer that has the option of buying online at a lower price you are betting on the " shop local" attitude.

That is no longer a driving consumer attitude.

When a maker gives a distributor a 40% discount on wholesale. The Dealer doesn't have much room over the 40% mark up.

Bazooka only gave dealers a 20% discount.

Prospecting gear fetches a very low profit.

There's a reason producers are trying to go for direct sales to the consumer.

I could get a blue bowl no pump no legs for $50 and some change wholesale. Would not be able to mark it up over $85

Yet, still the above mentioned tariff scenario even if it was true, would not prevent making a reasonable profit on an item by item basis.

Another fact to consider. More sluice boxes are purchased in the US than Canada. Stream sluices aren't even allowed in mining provinces.

I've been saying it for several years. it is a very very small industry and market. The way that demand, production and availability are intertwined and inconsistent reflects that.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A sluice with a touch screen, a shortcut to Facebook and a selfie stick would go good these days. Everyone wants to be a star!
Maybe even their favorite NFL logo or a Chevy emblem, mma fighters pic, beer logo, never know. It's all about finding the right consumers. As long as they have somewhere to spend on what they like they are happy.
Well I thought it was funny hehe.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In recent news..

More promises kept..

More winning...

More U.S. exporters getting better deals...

Still no plastic sluices held up at the border!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread