Le Trap Redesign?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking around online for Le Trap Sluice prices and almost everybody has "Out of Stock" or "Unavailable". One site even says the Le Trap is being redesigned.

Anybody know if a Le Trap redesign is coming?

Thanks,
Dillon

Le Trap is now owned by Jobe.

Jobe has moved to the Midwest from las Vegas.

besides that they really suck as a supplier.

they purchased rights to several widgets.

desert fox and le trap being two of them.

Jobe is the main supplier for most online prospecting stores. that is why you will notice many items out of stock.

I don't think Jobe will be around much longer.

Angus Mackirk is pretty much done for as well.

I wouldn't bank on the redesign rumor/excuse

Go for gold hog or if you want a cheap plastic sluice try this one https://www.amazon.com/SE-GP-SB32-P...c+sluice+box&qid=1536764185&sr=8-2&ref=sr_1_2

I have one it catches fine gold really well. Not the easiest to clean out but it's not that bad.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
007.JPG
The way Mackirk's are made, they will be here looooong after were all gone :)

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thanks for the link Gold Washer !! :icon_thumleft: All though I'm to beat up (old) to get out and do much anymore ,I really like the layout of that sluice !! I'd buy and use one if I could get out to do it!:occasion14:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being made anymore? I hadn't heard this. I ordered a wedge and the great northern earlier this spring. That sucks if it's true but I'm not doubting ya.
Notice company website gone....low stock levels or out of stock for online stores.

Cabelas probably has the most stock left

Angus is no longer

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a shame about AM sluices? I've all but quit the digging/sluicing and switched to detecting so was gonna sell most my sluicing stuff EXCEPT my Angus. Will DEFINATELY keep the AM now after reading this as it was my favorite box!!!!!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They guy there at angus said he makes them when you order so he doesn't have any sitting around. He said he keeps up just fine with orders. They are also black instead of gray now. It was Broken Back Mining Supplies last time I ordered. He makes the Angus stuff.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They guy there at angus said he makes them when you order so he doesn't have any sitting around. He said he keeps up just fine with orders. They are also black instead of gray now. It was Broken Back Mining Supplies last time I ordered. He makes the Angus stuff.

Yea broken back is out of Canada

You will see that he has low stock.

But, yes he is "making AM sluices" The brand is listed as part of the company. So , yes I was wrong..BUT.

They acquired them a few years ago. Other than a few of the stream sluice models. It's hard to find a distributor carrying their products.

I put a sluice in the cart to calculate shipping...as suspected they won't even ship to my address.

None of their listed Ca. distributors have stock.

However Cabelas does have the expedition and scout model ( I think its actually the recon)

So, essentially there is no more Angus Mackirk. unless your Canadian... Or buy from Cabelas.

It was much better When angus was their own company and storefront.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I talked with a friend who used to carry them in her prospecting shop here in CO. She said the problem is the new tariffs. It adds so much to cost to get them from Canada that she has zero profit left so she stopped carrying them.

The New tariffs suck.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked with a friend who used to carry them in her prospecting shop here in CO. She said the problem is the new tariffs. It adds so much to cost to get them from Canada that she has zero profit left so she stopped carrying them.

The New tariffs suck.

Funny thing Kevin.

There are no products in the categories of raw plastics or products using plastic on the tariff list.

There is no blanket tariff on Canadian products.

What tariff is driving up the cost of plastic sluice boxes?

On a side note mining gear made of aluminum and steel.

Could and should be, produced with American aluminum and steel.

Turned into American made products.

tariffs do not suck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That’s just what she told me. And she would know since she had to pay the tariff to the gov.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool anonymous source... those are really popular these days

Sluice boxes and plastic and thousands of other items that do not have tariffs.

Not a specific tariff or a percentage "Ad Valorem"

The aspect of NAFTA allowing free trade of those types of goods has not changed.

No new tax exists.

Nothing has actually happened that would make Broken back angus sluices more expensive because they were imported to the U.S. from Canada

The duties in place have been at the same rate since 2016. The new Tariffs are on a few specific products and their variants.

And again sluice boxes are not on the list.

Most non-ag products have an average of less than 4% duty applied. most are WAAAY less than that.

http://stat.wto.org/TariffProfiles/US_e.htm

sluice boxes as a manufactured end user export are duty free

Nothing has changed for sluice boxes being exported into the U.S. from Canada.

So, from facts we move on to action...

To one up this whole fake news story.

I just called Al at broken back to see what he has to say about tariffs and new dealers.

If your in the U.S. and want to be an Angus dealer its a 1k initial order.

I asked if there were any tariff issues.

He said no and when you sign up he will send you a U.S. pricelist

I also called a place in B.C. making their own sluices and other products.

They also do not have any export fee's

Other than the cost of higher shipping shipping to " The States" . That has nothing to do with tariffs. Just the usual customs processing.

So, there you have it a bunch of actual facts and info direct from the people sending sluice boxes from Canada to the U.S.

I was wrong about Angus being gone. He is trying to get more U.S. sellers and is not worried about U.S. trade issues.

He agrees with me that the stream sluice "industry" is much smaller than people realize and that right there has more of and affect on the sells
than anything else

Don't believe me about the tariffs call him. his name is AL

250-558-3050

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No anonymous source. It’s the owner of Gold-N-Detectors in Golden CO. She placed her usual $1K+ order early this year, paid the invoice and then got a bill from US Customs a few weeks later. Kills her whole profit so she has dropped the line of sluices after carrying it for years. Just the facts, nothing fake.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No anonymous source. It’s the owner of Gold-N-Detectors in Golden CO. She placed her usual $1K+ order early this year, paid the invoice and then got a bill from US Customs a few weeks later. Kills her whole profit so she has dropped the line of sluices after carrying it for years. Just the facts, nothing fake.

oh geez.

The new Tariffs were extended to Canada and Mexico in June. For Canada they only affect steel ,aluminum solar panels and washing machines.

That's it nothing else was affected. no new duties or taxes on any other products. PERIOD!!

Nothing...again nothing changed for a store that sells sluice boxes in Co.. I don't consider June early in the year either so if this attempted order was pre-June....

Well hopefully she carries hip waders and large shovels...cause it is getting kinda deep in Golden.

That's not how it works for over border transactions on theses wholesale retail items. Anyway.

Customs doesn't even inspect the majority of items. For those types of transaction. They deal with shipping invoices and the shipper has to fill out forms and make declaration before shipping.

You submit your invoice first and know of duties beforehand.

You don't just find out once customs inspects your shipment. it is not a surprise. The mounties are not gonna allow the pile up on their side when U.S. Borders and customs are not letting stuff through because Joe Bob in Georgia didn't know what his duties were and decided he didn't want his order anymore.

Steel Aluminum washing machines (lol) and solar panels are trucked or shipped and are totally different.

Per Al. the first order is 1k after that it can be a few boxes at a time.

Also the dealer price is 40% off of retail.

The type of produced end user retail items like sluice boxes would have a sub 3% if they have a duty.

Sluice boxes don't. If the shipment is thousands of dollars there could be a handling fee.

And if they did garner a duty 3% of a thousand dollar invoice is not a profit erasing number.

Nafta cleared the way for this sort of free or cheap trade. Between producers and U.S. retailers.

Personal purchases like online from a Canadian retailer to an American customer are handled differently. They can actually garner a higher cost from duty and handling.

some one is trying to stretch legs for some reason.

It isn't me. It isn't Customs.

The "new Tariffs" did not stop anyone from being able to make a profit on Angus sluices in the States

The info I have shared is current factual and verifiable

Still waiting for it to be actually refuted....

Sorry, but hearsay just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No idea. Just sharing what she told me.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions