San Gabriel East Fork

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to share my weekends take. We hiked maybe 4.5 miles up so I brought the EZ sluice. I am not a big fan of it because it is finicky to setup and you have to feed it slow but it gets the job done in the end. Here is a short vid of the trip if anyone is bored enough to watch. :-P

Screenshot_20181104-202611_Video%20Player.jpeg LRM_EXPORT_20181105_085225.jpeg LRM_EXPORT_20181105_091241.jpeg

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there not gold closer where you park ? that seems like a long way for a little gold don't get me wrong i would be thrilled to find half what u found lol. Have you tried around silverwood lake ? i talked to a guy last year and he said they did pretty good just up the road from where i was panning. Congrats on your finds.

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there is plenty of gold closer to the parking. A few considerations though. First, the potential for bigger, chunkier gold is more likely further up. But you have to find it. Second, you "might" see 1 or 2 hikers the entire weekend up there vs people trying to walk across your sluice to criss the river. And lastly, no dirty diapers or garbage laying everywhere up there ;) If I had put in a good days digging no doubt I would have done better. I probably ran somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 full buckets total.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That’s pretty good gold for 3 buckets of dirt. I’d be happy with that.

It’s so nice that far up the canyon that getting gold is just icing on the cake.

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the State of Calif. closed the East Fork to all digging, & sluicing. Have they lifted those restrictions? I was up there in the 80's, past the bridge to nowhere, and a fellow was digging behind a huge boulder, and showed me a nugget the size of a quarter. A really cool place up there. Many big horn sheep, that would come down and drink water. Great post... Thanks

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it wasn't the "State"

It isn't closed there are a lot of people digging E.F.

hang out down near the diaper tossers and you might get harassed

especially if your not wearing a Dodgers hat or decide to wear a red bandana

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahaha so true...

The rangers do not seem to care just yet unless you piss them off. Just treat them politely "hello, good morning, etc..." and generally you will be fine. You will rarely see a forest service worker down past Heaton Flats though. So if you want to play it safe hike in a bit.
it wasn't the "State"

It isn't closed there are a lot of people digging E.F.

hang out down near the diaper tossers and you might get harassed

especially if your not wearing a Dodgers hat or decide to wear a red bandana

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread