Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Capt Nemo
  • 2 Post By russau
  • 1 Post By Capt Nemo

Thread: Bucket Buddy II

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1221 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Bucket Buddy II

Just finished building Bucket Buddy II. On this version, I changed the dam angle from 90 to 60 degrees and dropped one spraybar.

On the last version, I was loosing gold to both displacement and not having area to let the gold settle. I took a look at the diagram for a Graffe's E-tank (Keene Hydromatic Jig) and found it similar to my active fluid beds. On the E-tank, the bed has 60 degree sides that give room for the gold to settle away from the active center, and the sides force a slow subsidence of material down to the active center. In the first version, the active area was right up to the dam, and the fine gold could rise and get dumped on the spillway and be lost. The displacement was also a problem, as a spoonful of solid material would push fluid material up and over the dam. Fine gold in the active part of the bed will fly around like glitter in a hurricane, so it's constantly circulating in the bed. It's just too light to settle on the bottom of the bed and stay put. So I angled the dam away from the active area to provide a dead zone where the gold can settle without getting pushed over the dam.

The Graffe's E-tank design has been tested and is capable of capturing 93% at #400. So we'll see what happens with this one. I'm headed out tomorrow to grab some beach sand for testing.

Here's the Bucket Buddy II next to the original.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3156.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	1649795

Here's a shot of the bottom.

Name:	IMG_3155.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	1649796

And hanging on a bucket.

Name:	IMG_3152.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	1649797

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1221 times
    Tested it this morning with some tailings. It did work, but not quite what I wanted to see. The dam is a little too high and too close to the spraybar, the 500 GPH bilge pump has too much pressure, and the bucket slot was too wide for the bucket I was using. I think I may try one or two rows of spraybar holes aimed straight down instead of at 45 degrees. I had a couple of holes clog and the now stronger jets tunneled up the dam wall. I'll try a couple of plumbing changes first before doing the plexi changes. If the pressure stays too high, I may make a bleed system to attach to the cleanout.

Otherwise, the sand did settle, and rode down the dam wall as intended. It didn't appear to be affected much by the displacement of new material. So the design is good, but I need to tweek things a bit.
    63bkpkr and KevinInColorado like this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4250 times
    Hey Cap , if I may make a suggestion about your device...........try adding a valve and a pressure gauge to the supply line and record your gold getting results at different settings. If I'm not mistaken as the volume of water increases from the pump the pressure goes down and vice versa and the volume decreases the pressure goes up. repeat the settings and record your results as you go so you can have repeatability . I did this with my fluid bed on my 4 inch dredge and it worked for me. regrettably I sold ALL of my equipment because of being a F.O.G. and all that goes with it!
    rodoconnor and 63bkpkr like this.

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1221 times
    I replumbed last night and tested this morning. I ran the bed full out until the bed was half full, and then throttled back. Once I got the bed full, the dam wall was locked up. I opened up the water a little and the dam wall broke free and began recirculating. I brought the throttle back to where it was, and the wall kept recirculating. Any displacement now seems to be at the back of the bed where the most fluid material is. The material on the dam wall is unaffected. All material above the dam wall is sinking properly, and all that's over the flat bottom is rising, so it's about 50/50 in the bed.

On the new spraybar, I drilled the holes 45 degrees apart, and mounted with the dam side at a slight foreward angle. The jets now hit about 1/2" in front of the dam wall, and about 1/4" in front of the back wall.

So it's pretty much time to rebuild the plexi to lower the dam wall about 1/2", and it's ready for some gold testing. Looks like I'll have to buy paydirt as Superior just got snow.
    63bkpkr likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links