looking for;

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple sluice,
I am a Canadian, but spend a lot of time in the US.

I'm wondering where to shop for a simple backpackable sluice with matting and expanded metal, that can be run in the creek or by pump.
There are models available online, but I wanted to be able to actually buy it in Canada rather than online.
If nothing shows up here, I am next going to check out Cabela's in my US travels to see what they have for stock if any.
Can anyone chime in to direct me to an area within maybe 400 km of North Bay? (Toronto, Sudbury and Ottawa triangle.)
So far, I have done most of my buying online, but I am fed up with the shipping practices and costs as most of the hobby stuff I do comes from the US.

If any of you have one parked not using it, I'd be interested to buy if possible.

I drive a truck mostly in the West and South West US, and can't really spend a lot of time searching for things physically.

Thanks, eyeball.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A simple sluice,
I am a Canadian, but spend a lot of time in the US.

I'm wondering where to shop for a simple backpackable sluice with matting and expanded metal, that can be run in the creek or by pump.
There are models available online, but I wanted to be able to actually buy it in Canada rather than online.
If nothing shows up here, I am next going to check out Cabela's in my US travels to see what they have for stock if any.
Can anyone chime in to direct me to an area within maybe 400 km of North Bay? (Toronto, Sudbury and Ottawa triangle.)
So far, I have done most of my buying online, but I am fed up with the shipping practices and costs as most of the hobby stuff I do comes from the US.

If any of you have one parked not using it, I'd be interested to buy if possible.

I drive a truck mostly in the West and South West US, and can't really spend a lot of time searching for things physically.

Thanks, eyeball.

As far as Cabelas......Order and do an in-store pickup from a store along your route to avoid shipping costs, etc. https://www.cabelas.com/content_popup.jsp?pageName=InStorePickup. Other than that there are numerous local prospecting shops all over the west that are not necessarily online vendors. Google for the dedicated shops for the various cities along your route. I have seen prospecting supplies in local hardware stores in gold country too. Just have to check around since they are not regular catalog items for the major stores like Ace and Tru Value, etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:

akflyer

Jun 29, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty easy to make your own and order some goldhog matting.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just buy an Angus Mackirk. They are made in Canada by a Canadian company.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you travel I-5 Armadillo Mining store is right on the freeway at the north Grants Pass exit. Should be room to park your truck. Internet search for inventory and phone number. Sam will be very helpful.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you travel I-5 Armadillo Mining store is right on the freeway at the north Grants Pass exit. Should be room to park your truck. Internet search for inventory and phone number. Sam will be very helpful.

Ditto that ^^. I always make it a point to stop when I am up that way.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Cabelas......Order and do an in-store pickup from a store along your route to avoid shipping costs, etc. https://www.cabelas.com/content_popup.jsp?pageName=InStorePickup. Other than that there are numerous local prospecting shops all over the west that are not necessarily online vendors. Google for the dedicated shops for the various cities along your route. I have seen prospecting supplies in local hardware stores in gold country too. Just have to check around since they are not regular catalog items for the major stores like Ace and Tru Value, etc.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input Arizau,
I got to order in a folding sluice as that interests me, I am fairly busy when I'm out trucking, between getting up and motoring down the road and work, I put in my 11 hrs of on dury and driving and trying to have a bite to eat to boot, it gets so that I' m beat at the end of the day, it is too much to hope to get to a decent shop most of the time.
I should get to know a few sooner or later and things will become easier.
Thanks for the reply, eyeball.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly where you mean, but I have not been out that way for a good 15 years now, I used to pick up plywood in Ugene and G Pass for home but that's a while ago.
Now I haul mining equipment to Nogales (that country makes me drool), Elko and Carlin, NV, Sparks and Reno, and a few more places out in Utah.
All good places to be for prospecting and swinging a coil.
cheers, eyeball.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just buy an Angus Mackirk. They are made in Canada by a Canadian company.

Hello Kev,

It was exactly that Angus Mackirk sluicebox I was looking for, but they're all sold out where I try to order from or they won't ship to canada.
The next stop at a Cabela's where I frequently stop or reset will have a pre-ordered Angus sitting there waiting for me.
That will give me two of them, one for at home to wring out dirt I bring in and one for with me in the truck, to use where I get out and play for a day on a reset.
Thanks for the mention, eyeball.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update;
I found the Mackirk people thanks to your comments Kevin, got me hunting for them and I bought the second one from them (sidekick ll) and some other gear.
Thanks, eyeball.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll absolutely LOVE your Angus(s)…………...

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad you got a sluice, drop riffles like the angus mackirk are my favorite. Easy to make a drop riffle in wood. Just make a couple shallow passes with your circular saw The type of riffle shown in the video above are called Hungarian riffles. Also very easy to make.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would also confirm that Angus Mckirk Drop Riffle is the way to go for ease of use and travel. Catches the large and small just the same as anything else. Ive used them myself.

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll absolutely LOVE your Angus(s)…………...
Lol...the postal strikes have it in chains in Montreal.
I should eventually be able to hug it and assure it that it is now safe!
Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
Eyeball

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad you got a sluice, drop riffles like the angus mackirk are my favorite. Easy to make a drop riffle in wood. Just make a couple shallow passes with your circular saw The type of riffle shown in the video above are called Hungarian riffles. Also very easy to make.

Hey Duckshot,

That video brings back memories of BC, panning the Marble river River on Van Island in the seventies and consuming exorbitant amounts of "Rayonier" beer lol (the brewery strikes caused us to order it in from Washington ), and having results to boot.
Love the feeling of nostalgia, best time of my life.

Thanks for the memories,...la lala...la lala...🎵🎶
Have a wonderful Christmas!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen this video for some time but as I watched the prospector make planks from the tree I realized the potential of what he was doing. The planks are building materials for more than just a sluice box like think the roofing materials for a comfortable better than bushcraft dwelling. One starts with crude and works up to approximately comfortable. Thank you for the repost!.............63bkpkr

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen this video for some time but as I watched the prospector make planks from the tree I realized the potential of what he was doing. The planks are building materials for more than just a sluice box like think the roofing materials for a comfortable better than bushcraft dwelling. One starts with crude and works up to approximately comfortable. Thank you for the repost!.............63bkpkr

The ships that brought honkeys to to North America were built with split planks, broke off with wedges. They didn't have circular saws until a couple hundred years later.

Funny thing I heard about America- When the early English settlers got here they did not seem to know how to build houses without hewn logs. No log cabins They were pegging mortise and tenon joints instead. Takes a heck of a lot more time to post and beam frame out a house than it does to stack and daub logs.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technological advancements are amazing! Mix mud and clay with dead weeds (straw) and build something with it. It takes a spark of an idea to begin the leap forward to sluice boxes, highbankers, airplanes, spaceships & satellites that are entering deep space. And all I want to do right now is go backpacking............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions